How many of you are Bilingual and how has it helped?

Sup, 
I wanted to know how many of you guys spoke different languages obviously besides english. Any Trilingual?

How has it helped you in life?

Personally, I have gotten every job because I can speak spanish and when recruiters see it on my resume it helps tremendously!

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 I truly love being bilingual!

Cantonese is my first language, then English... grew up in North America.

Moving to Hong Kong in December for a job over there, I'm glad I never dropped out of Chinese school as a kid... definitely opens a lot more doors
laugh.gif

Arabic and English

It helps communicate overseas and I have a good chance of being hired in an oil-rich country like Qatar or UAE
pimp.gif

Being bilingual here in NYC is almost a must if you wanna get a good job. I'm glad i'm fluent in both English and Spanish.

Doesn't hurt to know Spanish so you can speak to the fresh off the boat chicks.

I am able to speak spanish.
It helps with my day to day activities.
It would help if i were to ever apply for a job that deals people that speak spanish.

Portuguese, English, Japanese.

has helped a lot socially, and hopefully will work in my favor once i graduate from college.

Speaking English and spanish perfectly FTW
pimp.gif

It helps a lot with jobs and especially when involving sales.

english and spanish here
pimp.gif

it was cool being the only one that spoke spanish in costa rica when a group of friends and I went last month

free drinks at the bars and what not LOL

Whats sad is our kids will probably not get the same opportunity to learn our languages from us. Yes I am fluent but I can't teach or solely speak to them in spanish, english comes first for me. My parents came to this country 20 years ago and just spoke to me in spanish, I learned english in school and nowadays many latin kids can't even speak spanish aka my nieces and nephews.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by CoolGrayMemo

To listen in when people are talking about you.

LOL people don't think I am hispanic and out of nowhere ill just start speaking spanish, they hit me with the 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Speak English and fluent Spanish. Since I look like a white boy I get to have fun responding back to people talking $$% about me in Spanish. That shocked, embarrassed look is worth it every time.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Moving to Hong Kong in December for a job over there, I'm glad I never dropped out of Chinese school as a kid... definitely opens a lot more doors
laugh.gif
hongcouver.. i bet i've seen you before lol
nerd.gif

I'm in college atm, so just a part time job doing translation. $60 for every shift, each shift only lasts about 1 hour.

Originally Posted by nightruans

Whats sad is our kids will probably not get the same opportunity to learn our languages from us. Yes I am fluent but I can't teach or solely speak to them in spanish, english comes first for me. My parents came to this country 20 years ago and just spoke to me in spanish, I learned english in school and nowadays many latin kids can't even speak spanish aka my nieces and nephews.
ohwell.gif
indifferent.gif

Step up to the plate and teach your kids the language dude.

I speak Danish, for the most part it doesnt help for !#*@ in the US.

English and Spanish. Has helped a lot at work, always got excused from foreign language classes, and can speak to additional girls from other places of the world.

i'm moving to guadalajara this summer for a year so i can get official with my spanish, and teach ESL for a little while. it's a skill I've wanted to have for a while now.

I speak English and Spanish and I hope to become a LEO in my city that is looking for candidates that speak Spanish. Being bilingual really helps a lot that i am constantly trying to learn other languages.

I can speak a little bit of Spanish. I wouldnt say I am fluent, but I know enough to get me around. I understand it better than I can speak it if that makes any sense. It greatly helped me when I went to San Salvador right after school ended this semester. Out of the whole group only me and another girl who spoke Spanish fluently were able to communicate to those that did not speak English.

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

laugh.gif

why would some abc kids don't want to know mandarin or cantonese? of course, some of the blame is on the parents too. doors do open more like hongcouver604 situation, i've seen it.

whats the best way to pick up a new language.?
I kinda tried the Rosetta Stone, tried the bootleg version ahahhaha.. didnt really help out...

wanna become fluent in spanish asap!!

Originally Posted by khemikalali

whats the best way to pick up a new language.?
I kinda tried the Rosetta Stone, tried the bootleg version ahahhaha.. didnt really help out...

wanna become fluent in spanish asap!!
quickest way is to live in another country for a while

i speak spanish fluently as well and it has helped in my professional life and my personal life, as someone mentioned it definitely opens up extra doors especially living in SoFla

Although I just learned it because it was spoken to me often as a child, and that age period between 4-7 is absolutely CRUCIAL in language development and retention.

It becomes exponentially harder to learn a new language as years pass.
So for you young fathers out there, speak to your kids in your other language(s) because they will soak that up like a sponge.

English, Spanish and Igbo. Not completely fluent in spanish, but give me a second to comprehend what you said and a minute give a response. Parents speak Igbo, rarely to me, but I know enough to know what someone is talking about, just don't ask me to speak it.

Back
Top Bottom