How many of you are Bilingual and how has it helped?

I'm half Filipino so I know Tagalog. Other half is white and I don't look Filipino at all. Can't say it's helped me job wise since being able to speak Tagalog isnt really in demand. I love knowing it though, when I went to the Philippines for the first time last year it helped a lot being able to converse with people there.

Never understood why someone would think too much of FOB girls.  They want your assets.

Belingual on any level is always going to be an asset.  Very few individuals are actually about to read/write/converse though, but none the less, the understanding of another language helps.

However, English still dominates society and being bilingual does have its setbacks.  Grammar, articulation, syntax are areas of concern.

I would personally have my kids learn Korean/Chinese, but I need to find a wife that carries with her the language and most of all, culture.

people speak to me in spanish all day so i'm picking it up quick. i know all the basics. but if i have a convo it's broken as hell.

Cebuano and Tagalog - born in PI

English - Grew up in States

French - Took 6 years in school

Korean - in process of learning (currently living in korea)

Get at me son.

I am a medical interpreter at the busiest hospital in NYC.
So yeah being bilingual has helped me alot.

I wish I knew sign language too. I'm going to google and see if I could find some free classes.

fluent in Russian, it's just convenient as I can talk to family / other Russian speaking people when I need to say things I can't or don't want to say to people around.

fluent indonesian, english and chinese

chinese especially really help from getting scam buying fake shoes since i'm living in China
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom