How much does it cost to own a Dog?

It's something that's been on my mind lately. I am considering getting a dog. I know that it varies depending on the size and breed of the dog and what not. But I just want a rough idea of the costs. So if the dog owners here can chime in  it will be very helpful.

Edit: I mean cost of how much to maintain the dog. Food, grooming, etc.

Thanks

$2200 for the English bulldog.
At least $100 everytime you have to go to vet for shots.
About $60 for the grain free food every 2 months.
Toys,bones,shampoo,nail cutting about $50 a month.

And I'm guessing I spend more, but my dog is a pimp.

cost really isnt all that bad.

but i have to say, adopt a dog. rescue a dog. there are far too many dogs out there that need homes.

There are so many dogs out there and they all vary in costs. All the things you want to know the cost of (food, grooming, etc.) depends on what dog. You're going to give some kind of idea of what breed you're thinking of. I do suggest watching Dogs 101 on youtube to get ideas on the kinds of dogs that are out there. They even rate the dogs based on trainability, maintenance, health issues, etc. BUT FIRST, check your local shelter and consider adopting a dog before purchasing from a breeder.
smile.gif

If you do consider purchasing a dog, make sure you have the money. Money should not be much of an issue when you want a healthy and happy dog.

Time shouldn't be an issue as well. Many who look to purchase a dog search for several months, I've even heard more than a year.

From my experience, I bought a French Bulldog last year for 1200.

I brought her to a vet and put her on a puppy plan which covers shots, deworming, etc. Costs 100+

After all her shots, each check up at the vet is about 25-30

Food costs about 30 a month.

Toys and treats about 10-15 a month.

Grooming supplies about 20-30 a month.

Note that bulldogs are a little more expensive than other dogs. They're fat so they eat a lot, have breathing problems, and their jaws can rip through almost any toy you give it.

I know there's some things I'm missing, I just can't think of it right now.

As an owner of 3 dogs, yeah it's tough and gets expensive, but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. In the end, you're buying a best friend who'll love you as much as you'll love it
pimp.gif

okay i can tell you how much it cost according to a statistic they did. 10,000$ for a whole year...i think that is about right. to keep your dogg happy n well maintained.

I have 2 german shephards and they eat alot but they are very healthy and athletic . Just there usual shots and bathing them . As long as healthy its not too bad

I hate my dog.

j/k I love him, dogs are awesome and they feel like a part of the fam in no time.
pimp.gif

People are really only spending $30-$50 a month on food?! Well we dont give our dog dry food, he doesnt touch it all, maybe thats why hes a little expensive. Maybe close to $75ish a month. Grooming isnt an issue, he doesnt shed and gets a haircut by us like 3-4 times a year only. Silky terrier is his breed.

i got 2 mutts they are small dogs and it cost 20$ or so every couple of weeks to get food for them...they never get sick, they stay outside during the day and come inside to sleep in their crate they couldnt be happier, they run around all day and sun bathe then we walk in the bayou and they chase squirrels and try to loud talk to other dogs that are bigger than them, in the summer they chase frogs, and if anything smaller than them like a squirrel or bird lands in the yard they lunch
pimp.gif

i don't think you need to spend a lot to have a healthy happy dog...

Originally Posted by DaBulls23

cost really isnt all that bad.

but i have to say, adopt a dog. rescue a dog. there are far too many dogs out there that need homes.
go into a shelter and look at the dogs and if u come out of there not wanting any of them u have no heart 
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom