How much money is enough money?

What is the salary your aiming for that you'd consider yourself to be conformable at?
We all aim high but, realistically...
In 2011 the average household income was $51,413. That's HOUSEHOLD, not individual

When you make more than the average household and can't afford a house, its not enough.

theres never enough money as humans we are compelled to want more due to commercials and advertising but... hey i'd be cool with a few mill

i think id say somewhere around 75-80k.

im a simple person and have seen too many people i know fall into things id consider traps that cost them more money. i feel that amount is enough to cover what i need AND to have enough disposable income. 

I'd like to make 40k at the beginning of my career, then go up to about 80k at the end of it.

I would love to hit that 100k though :smokin

Realistically as well, I would think that is a decent pay range for me. I do live in SF which is the worst place to stretch your money but I have become more humble with my spending as of late and don't see myself splurging like before. My girl makes about 80k right now and I make 60k and combined, that is decent enough to start life off.

im a simple person and have seen too many people i know fall into things id consider traps that cost them more money. i feel that amount is enough to cover what i need AND to have enough disposable income. 
Depends on where you live, how you live, partnership status, debt, and a lot of other things. This doesn't even refer to balling out.

If you're married are have someone to share living expenses with. You can do a lot more with your money than being solely responsible for it. Adding kids into the equation effects that too.

Location is definitely a big factor as to whether or not you find it comfortable living there. Me and a friend both make 60k+. Where she works in florida she can get a luxury 2 bedroom for under 1 thousand. If I tried to get that in DC I'd be paying well over 2000. So I'd be confined to paying for basic accommodations, which still will have me paying more than she does.

Household income? For me around 150K annually would be comfortable

Mortgage/Property taxes = 20%(500k Mortgage = $25000/year +5k prop taxes)

Retirement 10% 15K

Living expenses (food, utilities, car note, alcohol, medications) 20% 30K

Savings 10% 15k

Entertainment/Travel/gifts 10% 15k

Taxes 35% 53K

I am going to say for me to live comfortably: $100k

I live in DC so the cost of living is crazy and a comfortable household income would be around $175k.

Depends on where you live, how you live, partnership status, debt, and a lot of other things. This doesn't even refer to balling out.

dat DINK (dual income no kids) status is no joke. i know a few people living in Arlington or DC in expensive spots making a very nice combined income
laugh.gif

im all too familiar with residing in the DMV tho and realize how much everything is and how little you can actually get. id consider living in Baltimore and taking the MARC before id look at trying to live in DC again. if i had to stay in the area, Hyattsville, Takoma Park/Langley Park, College Park, and Wheaton are all cheaper options before trying to spend so much in DC proper/NoVA/MoCo. im not a house kinda guy and prefer public transit before dealing with a car. i try to keep expenses and everything very low and that # would be way more than i owe down the line.

Realistically as well, I would think that is a decent pay range for me. I do live in SF which is the worst place to stretch your money but I have become more humble with my spending as of late and don't see myself splurging like before. My girl makes about 80k right now and I make 60k and combined, that is decent enough to start life off.

This is going to sound crazy but...

major props to you if youre living good in SF proper with $140K gross household income. I've never lived in SF but have friends and family that do and the cost of housing there is insane. I know everyone has their own definition of living good/comfortably but I think it would take a lot of fiscal responsibility and budgeting to make it work with that.

My wife and I are on track to make 180k this year and you would think we would be living on easy street but just look at some quick break downs

20k to Church - we give a bit more than our 10%
63k to Taxes
18k to Retirement
18k (10% to Savings
18k to Mortgage (Property Tax, PMI, Homeowners Insurance)

So with those 5 items almost 137 of the 180 is already gone.

Then just off the top you can take another
1.2k for Parking (100 a month)
1.8k for Cell Phone
1.8k for Cable, Internet, and Home Phone
3k for Utilities
3k for Gas (Driving)
5k for Groceries
so that is another 16k

so 153 of 180 is taken care of, with 27k remaining for everything else.

I live in the the most heavily taxed place in New York and easily top 5 in the country. 100k if your smart, easy.

My wife and I are on track to make 180k this year and you would think we would be living on easy street but just look at some quick break downs

63k to Taxes
18k to Retirement
18k (10% to Savings

1.8k for Cell Phone
3k for Utilities
3k for Gas (Driving)
5k for Groceries
so that is another 16k

20k to the church...

63k to Taxes
18k to Retirement
18k (10% to Savings

1.8k for Cell Phone
3k for Utilities
3k for Gas (Driving)
5k for Groceries
so that is another 16k

20k to the church...
jimmies are now rustled. But lets end that there

Did my man just say he gives 20 racks to a church every year? You must be out yo damn mind

20k lol for what?

Back
Top Bottom