How much will you make with your degree?

What the Class of2008 Will Earn (From Msn.com)

Besides the impending summer and a new diploma, this year's graduates have something else to smile about come commencement day: bigger starting salaries when they enter the work force.

The average starting salary offer is 4 percent higher for 2008 graduates than last year's alumni, according to a recent study by the National Association of Colleges and Employers. Additionally, hiring is expected to increase by 8 percent.

"Employers are showing interest in graduates from all sectors," says Nathan Lippe, senior career adviser for CBcampus.com. "But, they're also seeing extra competition in certain fields. As a new graduate, your best bet is to research your industry and know what you're worth to get the most out of new job and salary prospects."

Engineering services and accounting firms are among the disciplines expressing the most interest in this year's batch of graduates, according to the NACE. Consulting, financial services, retail and petroleum companies are also looking for new hires. As a result, many of these industries offer sizable salary offers to new graduates.

Salary increases range from less than 1 percent to as high as 9 percent for some disciplines. Among those who will experience the highest increases are those with liberal arts degrees, whose average offer is up 9 percent at $33,258.

Graduates with technical degrees, such as computer science majors, saw their average offers rise 7.9 percent to $56,921. Marketing graduates saw a 5.2 percent increase, bringing their average offers to $43,459.

Collectively, engineering graduates enjoyed a 5.7 percent boost, with average offers of $56,336. Specialized majors saw even higher increases: Chemical engineering grads' average offers rose 6.2 percent to $63,749. Civil engineering grads experienced a 4.8 percent rise to $49,427; 3.5 percent for electrical engineering majors at $56,512; and mechanical engineering grads saw the smallest increase of 3.4 percent, bringing their average offers up to $56,429.

Offer amounts are up 1.9 percent for finance and accounting graduates, to $48,795 and $47,413, respectively. Salary offers for business administration and management graduates rose by less than 1 percent to $43,823.

Here are 10 other starting salaries for 2008 graduates:

Economics - $52,926
Career options for economics majors vary from private consulting for businesses to working for government agencies.

Nursing - $52,129
Nursing majors can find job opportunities in hospitals, clinics, doctor offices and other medical facilities.

Chemistry - $52,125
Chemists can find work in laboratories, pharmaceuticals, chemical manufacturing or research and development - to name a few.

Political science/government - $43,594
Political science and government graduates have the option of working in the state, local or federal governments, as well as in the private sector or nonprofit organizations.

Human resources - $40,250
Human resources majors work as assistants and payroll or benefits coordinators, and in diversity training.

History - $35,956
A degree in history (aka liberal arts) means you can be an educator, researcher, communicator or editor, information manager, advocate or even a businessperson.

Communications - $35,196
Communications has much of the same focus as public relations, advertising, journalism, marketing and business management. The skills you learn in this major are transferable to many areas.

English language and literature - $34,757
English majors typically work in education, but other traditional fields of work include writing and editing for newspapers and publishing firms, public relations and broadcasting, or technical writing for advanced industries.

Journalism - $32,250
Journalism majors will find successful careers in print, broadcast TV or radio journalism, as well as opportunities in media relations.

Psychology - $30,877
Psychology graduates can put their degree to use in the mental or social services sectors, as well as in business or education.

Public relations/organizational communications - $30,667
Careers in public relations include orchestrating PR strategies for companies and nonprofit organizations, writing communications and even working in advertising.

Thoughts? I'm a Journalism major. Guess I won't be bring home the bread I though I would be...

roll.gif
@ me making more money right now pursing that B.A. degree.

Oh well, school is school. The degree is going to kick in the long run.

no surprise what economics majors make. i wanted to go into journalism at one point, but a lot of them work for small-time papers making mcdonald's money

Civil engineer here,
grin.gif

but usually through networking (hopefully meet some new connects in Vegas at the nsbe national convention next semester) we make more, so many different waysto use the degree

im going to pursue marketing, its good money,
do any of you guys know how many years is it for marketing

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

~ 400,000 to 500,000/yr and up...

The hell will you be doing?

Me, Pharm D is in the 95k-100k word to the big homie justhotkicks.
I want to pursue a PHD also & that can only increase my salary.

RADIOLOGY FTW. Was gonna do orthopedic surgery for the longest but the pay is the same if not better for rads and the lifestyle is better. Plus i really feelin love with rads. 8 more months!

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Why do civil engineers (my major) make the least of all engineers?
laugh.gif
. But damn I shouldve stayed back..

same. there's more engineers in civil than in any other field. we also have it the easiest in school
pimp.gif

Well I finish my medical degree in 8 months and I am going to specialize in Radiology. Probably one of the most difficult specialties to match in withDermatology and Plastics and Orthopedics. Its so difficult to match in because the lifestyle is good and the pay is great making it very competitive. Whatspecifically did you want to know?

Back
Top Bottom