How to gain US residency?

I've been wanting to move to the States for the longest time, but all I hear from people is how hard it is to gain residency there. Can anybody give me some details of the process and what things I need to look out for?
I have New Zealand and Taiwanese citizenship btw.

Contact the closest US Embassy/Consulate. They should be able to help you. I work in immigration law so if you have any specific questions let me know.

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

http://www.uscis.gov/port...VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Unless you have family or your employer in the US or you're a pro athlete or scientist, it is near impossible to get a green card. Why do you think people come here illegally?

Just get a immigrant Visa.
Immigrant visa and green card are the same thing. I think you mean nonimmigrant visa. If so that's usually good advice. The majority of people find it beneficial to come here as nonimmigrants (students/workers/etc.) and adjusting their status the immigrant once they're on American soil.

Originally Posted by IronChef

Question for you, how does one gain New Zealand citizenship??
Moved here in 96, back then it was rather easy to gain New Zealand citizenship, all you really needed was proof that you had some sort of qualification to get a job here. It's a lot harder now though due to the influx of immigrants in recent years. I have no idea why you'd be interested in New Zealand though
laugh.gif
 Look into Australia instead
happy.gif

Originally Posted by dj B Milk

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

http://www.uscis.gov/port...VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Unless you have family or your employer in the US or you're a pro athlete or scientist, it is near impossible to get a green card. Why do you think people come here illegally?

Just get a immigrant Visa.
Immigrant visa and green card are the same thing. I think you mean nonimmigrant visa. If so that's usually good advice. The majority of people find it beneficial to come here as nonimmigrants (students/workers/etc.) and adjusting their status the immigrant once they're on American soil.
Thanks for the help, will check out that link later (it's 3am here lol). I'm still a student in University though, so I guess it'll be even harder for me right? 

Not necessarily. You may be eligible for a student visa. From what I've heard from my parent who are taiwanese citizens, its been fairly easy for to get a visa in Taiwan(not sure if this is actually true). Also another avenue you could explore is seeing if you have any immediate family in the US that would be willing to sponsor you.

Originally Posted by ai3mac1

I've been wanting to move to the States for the longest time, but all I hear from people is how hard it is to gain residency there. Can anybody give me some details of the process and what things I need to look out for?
go to NY you can buy fake papers for 250 in queens , you can go to school get a job too , you can be anybody you want

It’s a passport to trouble — and it can be bought for just $260 on the streets of Jackson Heights, Queens.

In just one hour, The Post was able to buy a phony green card, Social Security card and New York state driver’s license from a stranger on a corner — all of which could serve as a gateway to obtain legitimate IDs.

The cards are frighteningly real — convincing enough to fool creditors, potential employers and security at buildings and even the airport.

Experts said the biggest fear is that these IDs are being bought by people who slipped past border crossings.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You just gotta love the diversity of Queens
pimp.gif

OP would you be coming here to go to school? Or just to work?

Originally Posted by sladewilson

Originally Posted by ai3mac1

go to NY you can buy fake papers for 250 in queens , you can go to school get a job too , you can be anybody you want

lol im sayin though.. he's a student. He's probably eligible for a student visa, so why not do it the legit way? Getting caught with fake papers is a felony that can carry years in prison and a lifetime ban from the US. Also, who wants to deal with snakeheads if they don't have to?

Originally Posted by n1co86ya

Originally Posted by bhergh

Marry a citizen? Online dating to find a match in the u.s.

This. You will be a resident in 6 months.
DHS can and often does come check to see if this is legit for up to 3 years afterwards so you better make sure she's bad and she puts out.

the simple way is to marry a US citizen and make babies.....lol
on a serious note, it's difficult to gain US residency if you're not currently in the country. what do i mean by this? my friend, who is also from Taiwan, was here for college. before her student visa expired, she applied for jobs and a working visa. she got both and stayed in the US for a while. the 2nd friend, left the US after graduation and tried to come back to the US in just one month and was denied. find a way to get here first, through education, visiting, or what ever works, then try to get a job/working visa to gain US residency.

Originally Posted by swooshallday

the simple way is to marry a US citizen and make babies.....lol
on a serious note, it's difficult to gain US residency if you're not currently in the country. what do i mean by this? my friend, who is also from Taiwan, was here for college. before her student visa expired, she applied for jobs and a working visa. she got both and stayed in the US for a while. the 2nd friend, left the US after graduation and tried to come back to the US in just one month and was denied. find a way to get here first, through education, visiting, or what ever works, then try to get a job/working visa to gain US residency.
QFT.. adjusting status > applying for permanent residence at a consulate 9 times out of 10

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

You just gotta love the diversity of Queens
pimp.gif

OP would you be coming here to go to school? Or just to work?
I'd like to go there and do graduate school, then eventually find a job and settle in. Guess I gotta keep my grades real high huh
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom