HTPCs of NTers

I'm starting to look into the creation of an HTPC for me and my little fam.
I'm wanting a machine that does XBMC, streams media to my iPad/Android phones, and maybe a little gaming (but doubtful). Probably 3-4 TB of capacity to start out. 

What kind of set ups do you guys have? I'm curious to see how you guys do the HTPC game.

I would love something like this:

800px-Home_theater_PC_front_with_keyboard.jpg

pimp.gif

I have plans for a really nice HTPC setup, but I need a more permenant place to live before I set it up.

I think HTPC's will be the new desktops.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I have plans for a really nice HTPC setup, but I need a more permenant place to live before I set it up.

I think HTPC's will be the new desktops.
what are you planning that would require a more permanent setup?

I've got an early 2008 MacBook Pro as a HTPC. Dropped the thing at work and shattered the screen. Everything else worked so I hooked the dvi up to my tv and the optical to my receiver. Plugged in a 1tb USb drive for extra storage. Use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it. Also setup remote desktop so I can control it through my laptop or iPad. Messed around with plex and the old apple interface. I rarely use to be quite honest. If I didn't have a dvr and cable I'm sure it would get more use. In the end it really didn't cost me anything so thats the only reason I have an HTPC.

not trying to derail thread.. but are you dude that won those eminem 4's on eBay years ago. i remember someone posted a thread on it here

I had an HTPC, but after I got my 4TB NAS drive, it was pointless to have the HTPC. I got rid of cable and just stream everything from the NAS drive. Can be viewed by anything that does DNLA, PS3/media connected TVs/my phone/Google TV/ (hacked) Apple TV, so there's really no reason to have an actual computer dedicated to media. I can even watch/listen to stuff I have on the NAS from work.

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Nobody else got this?
We got an Official PC Thread for this. If you head on over there, you might get a better response.
Anyway, built my dad an HTPC a few months ago. It's not bad.

398612_10150578364103736_336949059_a.jpg

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Nobody else got this?
We got an Official PC Thread for this. If you head on over there, you might get a better response.

I thought about it (don't wanna be one of those guys that creates a thread where one is already available), but felt that the discussion would get lost among other things.
I'm assuming it's not too difficult. the NAS stuff sounds nice, but admittedly, I'm not very familiar with it.

honestly, its a waste of money. Why build a pc just to be connected to your tv since you can already accomplish the media tasks with an xbox or just using your laptop.

HTPCs are pretty restrictive on what you can do with them depending on the form factor, ive mulled at the idea but xbmc has no live tv integration yet as far as i know; the next gen tivos and google tv products should make htpcs pretty much useless. Even Microsoft is making the Xbox more HTPC like with Internet Explorer and more apps.

Check out this forum whenever they're back up. These guys have really nice HTPC set ups
avs forums

But yeah, I'm building mine once I move out and get my own place. Think I'm just going to use the same tower I have now rather than a HTPC case.
Also gonna grab this bad boy
15-706-001-TS

You dont want all those hdd's in an HTPC
They're suppose to be quiet. 

A bunch of fans and hdd's spinning would be loud. 

If  you need all of that storage, build a media server first. 

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Nobody else got this?

I thought about it (don't wanna be one of those guys that creates a thread where one is already available), but felt that the discussion would get lost among other things.
I'm assuming it's not too difficult. the NAS stuff sounds nice, but admittedly, I'm not very familiar with it.

I looked into NAS last week actually, and it seems extremely easy to set up. Only bad thing is the stupid HDD prices
sick.gif

But yeah, I think NAS is the way to go because like dude said you don't want a lot of HDDs in your HTPC. Build a NAS set up have ton of storage and you can access it anywhere in your home

I basically want to back up my movies/tv series and be able to watch them on my TV, other PCs, ipad, smartphones, etc.

I have a 360 but I can't put my own content on there. Gotta please the wifey and make sure her shows and such are available to her. we would also use the computer as a computer too, so it would serve a purpose beyond media consumption.

I've had a HTPC for about 3 years now. Runs XBMC, houses all my music, movies, and TV shows. Once you get one set up, you won't want to go back.

It's about time for me to set up a NAS and stream from a closet rather than watch media directly. People talk about noise, but I don't hear a thing. Especially when I have my external speakers on ...

Back
Top Bottom