Hurt Locker Producers Suing Tens and Thousands of People for Piracy

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The war against movie piracy is getting downright explosive.

The producers of "The Hurt Locker" are preparing a massive lawsuit against tens of thousands of people who pirated the Oscar-winning drama online. The case could be filed as soon as Wednesday.

Voltage Pictures, the film's financier, has signed up with the U.S. Copyright Group, a Washington D.C.-based venture that has begun a litigation campaign targeting users of the BitTorrent peer-to-peer (P2P) service.

"The Hurt Locker" first leaked onto the web more than five months before its U.S. release last June, and was a hot item in P2P circles after it won six Oscars in March, including best picture and director. Despite the accolades, the film grossed only about $16 million in the U.S.

The U.S. Copyright Group has already filed lawsuits over about 10 other films, including German filmmaker Uwe Boll's "Far Cry," "Call of the Wild 3D" and "Uncross the Stars." Reports of those suits raised alarms in some circles, whereas others joked that the movie industry was merely suing those with poor taste.

"You can guess that relative to the films we've pursued already, the order of magnitude is much higher" with "Hurt Locker," said Thomas Dunlap, a lawyer at the firm.

If the addition of "Locker" to this litigation campaign could shake things up, so too could news about cooperation by Internet Service Providers (ISP) in this escalating fight. After filing the lawsuits, the plaintiffs must subpoena ISP records in an effort to match IP addresses with illicit behavior on BitTorrent.

According to lawyers at Dunlap's firm, 75% of ISPs have cooperated fully. Those that have resisted are mostly doing so, they say, because of the amount of work involved in handing over thousands of names. But the clock may be ticking. For example, in the lawsuit over "Far Cry," Comcast has until next Wednesday to file motions to quash subpoenas. By the end of next week, thousands of Comcast subscribers could be turned over.

http://abcnews.go.com/Ent...nt/wireStory?id=10620723

that stuff is mad scary. So many people pirate music software and movies.
nerd.gif

Man..why even use bittorent?

megaupload FTW!

megaupload + some scripts FTW X 2!

I streamed it FTW again!

and here's my review of this horibble excuse of a movie.

That movie SUCKED big time.

The soldiers' uniforms in the movie..wasn't even what they wore in 2004. (when the movie takes place)

You really think only 3 soldiers always go out alone? Of course not.

The sniper scene? ROFL. They roll up on some british dudes, who don't even attempt to identify themselves. One british dude just starts spraying and praying into the desert once they get shot at. They then get into a standoff with the iraqis for a whole day while never being shot at even though the iraqis(they had a awp/scout!!!) had AMPLE time to shoot at them(they were even in the open!!!) Then they get too tired and decide that the whole thing is taking too long and just leaves. %@%??? Who could forget about the "artistic" shell casing dropping scene. LOL. relevance?

Same thing with the failed bomber who just walks past the main character, stares at each other, drops the battery, and then leaves. %@%?

The main character leaves the compound..and gets into no trouble at all? DVD vendors right next to the base? LOL.

How did the suicide bomber get into the green zone? There's MULTIPLE check points outside before you can even get close. Finally, the explosives team don't don't investigate bombings. LOL they just blow up theexplosives. They don't even disarm them unless a lot of people are gonna die.

They then leave alone into the city to find out who the bomber is? (they don't even do that in real life) One of them gets shot. and the main character isn't even disciplined? ROFL

Good luck with them trying to prove YOU (and not your friend/roommate/cousin) actually DL'd it...

...but um, if the RIAA gets on this - I'm +@%+%+ - I ain't bought a CD since I don't know when.
laugh.gif

I think this is going to backfire on the producers who made Hurtlocker. If those thousand of people decide to boycott any future movies they make produce this will be a lost cause.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by RavageBX

I definitely dl'ed Hurt Locker with a torrent
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
I did too
nerd.gif

Damn...me three. I downloaded it like 3 times to get a good quality. I better not get caught up on such a over hyped movie.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

megaupload FTW!

I streamed it FTW again!

That movie SUCKED big time.

The soldiers' uniforms in the movie..wasn't even what they wore in 2004. (when the movie takes place)

You really think only 3 soldiers always go out alone? Of course not.

The sniper scene? ROFL. They roll up on some british dudes, who don't even attempt to identify themselves. One british dude just starts spraying and praying into the desert once they get shot at. They then get into a standoff with the iraqis for a whole day while never being shot at even though the iraqis(they had a awp/scout!!!) had AMPLE time to shoot at them(they were even in the open!!!) Then they get too tired and decide that the whole thing is taking too long and just leaves. %@%??? Who could forget about the "artistic" shell casing dropping scene. LOL. relevance?

Same thing with the failed bomber who just walks past the main character, stares at each other, drops the battery, and then leaves. %@%?

The main character leaves the compound..and gets into no trouble at all? DVD vendors right next to the base? LOL.

How did the suicide bomber get into the green zone? There's MULTIPLE check points outside before you can even get close. Finally, the explosives team don't don't investigate bombings. LOL they just blow up theexplosives. They don't even disarm them unless a lot of people are gonna die.

They then leave alone into the city to find out who the bomber is? (they don't even do that in real life) One of them gets shot. and the main character isn't even disciplined? ROFL

Well, I was told that some units do investigate.     But yea, most of the stuff in the movie is unrealistic.  LIke dude playing Gears of War... 
laugh.gif
wasn't that released in 06?

I got into the Army and my MOS is 89d(EOD).    But im "trying" to renogotiate my contract before I ship.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

megaupload FTW!

I streamed it FTW again!

Only reason I used bitorrent is the speeds I get. Using my schools network and a private tracker I get download speed up to 5MB/s with an average of about 3.4MB/s can you do that with megaupload? Also does megauploads give you a 1080P BD rips?

Originally Posted by RedMan

I think this is going to backfire on the producers who made Hurtlocker. If those thousand of people decide to boycott any future movies they make produce this will be a lost cause.
...but those thousands of people weren't giving them any money to begin with?

Back
Top Bottom