I came out to my parents today....

Congrats, Tim!

Also, congrats, NT! Two years ago this thread would have been an abomination. Progress!

Originally Posted by will068

I'm sure your parents already knew. Hell, they raised you. Were you expecting a different response from your parents ?
i wasn't sure what to expect honestly.  but it was really great.  they kept telling me they loved me and were proud of me.  i'm sure having your 33-year-old son break down uncontrollably in front of you doesn't make it easier, lol.

i was probably the most surprised by my dad's reaction.  i knew my mom would accept it almost immediately, but i thought my dad would show some hesitation.  but he didn't.  he even made it a point to say that any partner of mine would always be welcome in their household.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

I'm sure your parents already knew. Hell, they raised you. Were you expecting a different response from your parents ?
i wasn't sure what to expect honestly.  but it was really great.  they kept telling me they loved me and were proud of me.  i'm sure having your 33-year-old son break down uncontrollably in front of you doesn't make it easier, lol.

i was probably the most surprised by my dad's reaction.  i knew my mom would accept it almost immediately, but i thought my dad would show some hesitation.  but he didn't.  he even made it a point to say that any partner of mine would always be welcome in their household.

do you say partner or boyfriend? is it preference on the term?

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
smokin.gif

Congrats.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

no preference.  i'd probably say boyfriend, actually.  partner sounds kinda sterile and secretive.  not sure why i chose that word, lol.

OP, I've never met you, but I'm proud of you. It took a lot of courage to do that. All jokes aside (at least for me), gay or straight doesn't matter. Glad you are able to be you and not have to hide.

Congratulations on finally being able to tell your parents.  I know it's something a lot of gay people have to struggle with.
Like others have said, the maturity and positivity in this thread is surprising.  I was expecting the exact opposite.  I thought it'd be similar to the gay marriage thread.

will i see you at pride next year
smile.gif

that takes a lot of courage, i think especially for gay men (as opposed to gay women). i'm glad you're getting a lot of support. good luck with everything and finally being able to live your life true to yourself and not a lie. YOU WERE BORN THIS WAY BABAY

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

will i see you at pride next year?
smile.gif

in alabama??  lol.

actually, there is a pretty sizable gay community here... i think people would be surprised.

Congrats man, that takes alot for you to do that. Glad to hear that your parents took it well. Best of luck to you!

Why do some people here assume he'd show "symptoms" of being gay over the years, as if all gays act the same?

All Im saying is some of the big swole bouncers you see smoking 6 cigs in a couple minutes and giving everybody attitudes are gay dudes too...They aren't all flamboyant and overtly gay, many of them are just as dominant and manly as you and I. Hell I've caught looks from gay dudes who think I'm a Bear and they wanna be cubs
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

smile.gif

in alabama??  lol.

actually, there is a pretty sizable gay community here... i think people would be surprised.
thats cool i don't know why i just assumed you were in ny, i'm crazy. but ha, now that you came out now you have to plan a pride weekend in new york or cali. CRAZY.

smile.gif

in alabama??  lol.

thats cool i don't know why i just assumed you were in ny, i'm crazy. but ha, now that you came out now you have to plan a pride weekend in new york or cali. CRAZY.

yeah... not sure i'm ready for that yet, lol.  

btw, time to hit up The Castro.
pimp.gif

all you can drink mimosas at Lime.
pimp.gif

that should be a legitimate pastime for anybody no matter your sexual orientation 
laugh.gif

to OP, congrats. lot of respect is due to someone who can stay true to themselves no matter the setting.

Congrats to OP! You are a brave person indeed! It takes a lot for people to just come out. I can't imagine the way you have felt. I'm glad it's finally off of your shoulders.

no preference.  i'd probably say boyfriend, actually.  partner sounds kinda sterile and secretive.  not sure why i chose that word, lol.

damn dude you waited a long time to come out.
laugh.gif

times really are changing. i think nowadays more parents are aware and less stuck in old fashioned ways.

and i dont know why but all my gay friends and gay co workers always say partner. maybe its just they are still a bit in the shadow? i dunno...

Originally Posted by NobleKane

damn dude you waited a long time to come out.
laugh.gif

times really are changing. i think nowadays more parents are aware and less stuck in old fashioned ways.

and i dont know why but all my gay friends and gay co workers always say partner. maybe its just they are still a bit in the shadow? i dunno...

yeah, my dad made a similar comment.  he said he couldn't imagine if he had to come out to my grandfather, a very strict naval captain.  i think of all my four grandparents, only one of them would have accepted it (my dad's mom).
as for boyfriend vs. partner... i think in the workplace people probably are somewhat self-conscious and don't want to give anyone a reason, fair or not, to view them unobjectively.

Back
Top Bottom