[ I Got A Ticket, Choked & Almost Got Arrested for being .50 Cents Short for the bus today! UPDTD ]

( Judges, Lawyers and Cops Please Chime In and Help ! )

+ What Happened +

(10.19.11)
Coming home from School.
Purchased the Bus Ticket at 11:34 AM
Got out the bus stop around 12:30 PM
At school I noticed that I only had 0.75 Cents left from my roll of quarters.
I had no other means of getting home other than the Bus Ride..
The day I was short on change for the bus the 'Bus Ticket Checker and Sheriff' suddenly pops up out of nowhere from the bus stop that I was getting off at.

Right as I step out, I show my ticket and explain why I paid that amount and my reason for being short.
Then they told me to stay next to the seat.

At this time I was just trying to explain why I only paid that amount.
Saying that I just ran out of coins just today and was planning to head out to the bank to get more.
Which was the reason why I couldn't pay for the full amount of $1.75
I was also explaining how I'm an honest college student, didn't have a job, I go to church and take that route on the daily and I usually pay the Full Fair All The Time..
It was just TODAY
that I was short on coins..

Funny thing was that a bum was also stopped due to the fact that he didn't even purchase a ticket and was able to step outside to get a ticket. 
He didn't even pay to get on the bus ! 
I told the Ticket Guy and he said that they've dealt with him in the past.. 
eyes.gif

Stupid because this was the very my first time this happened to me and I paid for the fair even though I didn't have the enough amount.. 
Which is the right thing to do right?.. 

So then, I try and give the Sheriff a handshake and introducing myself but dude left me hanging.. 
I try and be polite and call him Sr. and everything.. 
Telling him my situation and this was the very first time this happened to me, including encountering a cop or sheriff..
The Sheriff then asks for my identification, but I didn't have my Ca. State ID with me so I ask if I could hand him my WA School ID. instead.. 
It was right in my hand, and before handing it to him I was questioning if I was getting a ticket or not?.. He then doesn't respond and wouldn't answer my question..

Then when I do hand him my Student ID, I stand up and try to hand it to him ( just to be polite, you know?)
When I stand up he then grabs my hands and pushes me towards the Bus Stop Wall.
He then tries to pull me towards the ground telling me to lay down, but I just kept my ground still asking why he was doing this and that I was just trying to hand you my ID.. 
After he "Clotheslined" me and Choked me by the neck with his bare hands.. I couldn't breath, he was then telling me to calm down.. I managed to catch breath at this time and yelled " Me Calm Down, You're the One Choking Me, I Can't Breath.. Please let me go and let me explain, I just got up to hand you my ID". 
He then lets go and tells me to sit down..

Keep in mind that this is at a Bus Stop at a busy intersection too.. 
eek.gif

WHOLE ENTIRE time the Bus Ticket Checker guy was standing there just watching.. 
indifferent.gif

The Ticket guy even understood my situation and said that it's not up to him but the Sheriff to enforce what happens. 

Right as soon as I sat down I just told the Sheriff that " I was just trying to hand you my card, you know it was on my hand.. " 
He kept denying me saying that I wouldn't hand it to him and tells me that I might go to jail for Obstruction and for Withholding My Information.. 
Nonsense, since it was in my hand the whole time About To Hand to Him, I was just being polite by standing up to hand it to him.. 
eek.gif

At this time, I was just praying hoping that I wouldn't go to jail.. 
ohwell.gif

He then speaks to his lil walkie talkie trying to find info on me.. 

Turns out that I had No Record on file and they couldn't find pull up any of my info..
So he calls another Sheriff down to help with the situation.. 
The other Sheriff comes and this dude's a lot younger and actually shook my hand when I stuck my hand out.. 
I then explain to him my situation he then understands when I told him that this was my Very First Time encountering a sheriff yet alone a cop.. 

So I didn't know how to respond that's why I was so nervous and why I wanted to explain my situation so bad.. and he understood.

Since they couldn't pull me up from the computer with my name alone, I had to write all my information down on a piece of paper with my Social, Birthday and everything
and they finally find my information. After 40 mins or so..
Figures out that my Title is Clean and that I was who I was saying I was..

Sheriff then explains that I'll be just getting a ticket for not paying for the full amount and no questions asked.. 
Acting as if nothing just happened?..smh.
I then shook everyone's hand apologizing to the other Sheriff and Ticket Guy and just gave the Sheriff that Choked me a Stoneface and left since he allowed me to leave.

At the end I just got a $124.00 Ticket to deal with.. 
sick.gif

The funny thing is that the Ticket Says: 
" Fail to Provide Proof of Payment ".. 

When that was the Very First thing I did when I stepped out the bus,
I even tried explaining why I paid that amount in the First Place.. 

eyes.gif

+ Cliffs +

- Paid 0.75 Cents for my bus fair today since I ran out of coins and was planning to head to the bank .. 

- Ticket Checker and Sheriff showed up where my bus stop was and were checking tickets

- Right away I provided my ticket and explained my reason for not paying the whole price.
- Sheriff then asks me to wait on the chair while they check for everyone else on the bus.
- Homeless man didn't even pay for the bus ride but was able to pay for it and go back inside 

- I asked the Ticket Guy how come he was able to do that and they said that they've dealt with him in the past. 

- Sheriff then comes up to me, I greet him politely and introduce myself. I also tried to explain to him the situation and reason why I couldn't pay the Full Price.
- I also explain that I'm an honest college student, go to church and take this route every day, paying the Full Price Everyday Except for Today..
- Sheriff then asks me for my ID, I tell him that I left my ID at home but had my Student ID. 

- Before handing him my Student ID I ask him if I'm going to be receiving a ticket or fine for the fare.. But he wouldn't answer.. 
- So I then was about to hand him my ID, so I then stand up to hand it to him politely and he grabs my wrists. 

- He then pins me to the bus stop wall and tries to pull me down on the floor and I ask him for what reason since I was just handing you my ID.

- Sheriff then Chokes me first with his arm then his bare hands
- I tell him that I couldn't breath and to please let me go
- Lets me go and I ask him if I could sit down

- Sat down told him that I was just handing you my ID. Then says that I wasn't giving him my information and that he Might Take Me To Jail.
- I'm Praying to God by this point and that I wouldn't be taken to Jail..
- I then hand him my ID without bothering to even stand up and so he tries to pull up my information and couldn't pull it up for some reason

- He then calls another Sheriff and I explain to him the whole situation and he understood it from my point of view. 

- Ask for me to write down ALL my info Name, SSN, Address, Etc and they were finally able to find my information. 

- Finds out that I have a Clean Record and decides to not take me to Jail. 
- Then Writes me a ticket and say's not to say another word and that I'm free to go.
- Ticket ended up saying " Fail To Provide Proof Of Payment ".. 

- When I clearly provided proof of payment right after I stepped out of the bus.  

- Ticket $124.. 
sick.gif

EDIT : 
- I do have the Sheriffs Name & Badge #. 

[ UPDATE ]

( 10.20.11 )

- Took the same bus route today and the funny thing is that I left the SAME exact time as yesterday. 
- Ticket shows the Expiration Time which is Exactly an hour ahead of when I purchased and paid for the ticket. 
- Ironically BOTH tickets from yesterday and today had an expiration time of 12:34 PM 
eek.gif

- Boarded the bus and looked around for any signs regarding not paying for the fair.. 

Sign simply said : " Pay Fares in advance at station, Do not board without paying.. " 
  ( When I paid before boarding 
eyes.gif
.. It said nothing about the correct amount of fair or ANYTHING )

- Also notes the Community Transit info and the Law Code they follow: RCW.9.91.025
- As soon as my bus stop approached, I went and asked the bus driver if there were any cameras at the bus stops, and he said no. 

- I went across the street to an O'Rileys Auto Parts ( Which faces the bus stop.. ) and asked if they had any cameras outside..
- I further explained my incident to a few workers to tell them why I was asking about cameras being outside facing the bus stop. 

- This lady comes out of nowhere and tells me to " Get Em ".. 

- She further explains how she was in a similar incident and won a case for 2.5 Million .. 
eek.gif

- She then encourages me to contact her Lawyer regarding Police Brutality and to contact the city asking for a video from the streets intersection. 

- Right as I got home, I contacted the Community Transit Customer Service and complained about my situation and now they're going under further investigation. 

- After, I called the lawyer and still waiting for him to call back. 

( To Add To Everything.. ) 

I took pictures of my neck yesterday as soon as I got home, before taking WDYWT Pictures.. 
I didn't even want to think about looking at the pictures of my neck until today. 
tired.gif

Would this help in any way?.. 

It clearly shows the red hand marks on my neck. 
To add to that my neck is definitely swollen today, I could barely speak.. my whole upper portion has been aching and has been sore since the incident occurred. 

Here's a few pictures:

( Ticket & Date )

( Please note that I Un-DS'ed this shirt yesterday and the Sheriff stretched out the damn collar. 
mad.gif
 )

.. now the shirt has 'bacon neck'. 

My question is.. 
What should I do?.. 

1) Pay for the ticket
2) Mitigation Hearing: ( Agree to commit the infraction but hearing to explain circumstances + Pay for the Infraction )
3) Contested Hearing: ( To contest the infraction )

Can I do anything about this situation, can I sue?..

one thing to consider is that the state is expecting to make a ton from these types of infractions. fines help the deficit so they won't hesitate to attach civil assessments to your original ticket (in SF they're $300 a pop). so make sure you get all of the administrative things squared away.

btw, what county are you in?

That's really screwed up, I would take it to court if you can and contest it and report that officer if possible

Call the line for that departments abuse, complain like a mother. They will drop that #++% easy since they don't want trouble. I'd still pursue a lawsuit/charges, that was just unnecessary.

Originally Posted by moundraised23

Cliffs my %+#

1st time dealin with police bs op?
Where did this take place?

No honestly 1st time I've dealt with the Police..
I tend to stay low key . 
grin.gif

To all those who asked. 
This happened in Washington State

where are you from?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

im sorry for laughing, but your dumb for even letting them touch you in the first place

I'd take it to court, more than likely he won't show up. But as for the other advice, the best thing you can probably do is get a lawyer b. 

Originally Posted by CasperJr

You knew leaving out you didn't have the money you gambled and lost

this. you don't have the "fair", don't ride the bus. simple as that.

and dude prolly choked you out because you kept calling him senior.

Originally Posted by leothegod

where are you from?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

im sorry for laughing, but your dumb for even letting them touch you in the first place
Washington State as stated above.. 

I wasn't even expecting him to come at me like that though.
I was simply handing him my Student ID.. 
tired.gif

PJ and Bompton - The dude was pretty old though.. 
laugh.gif

P.S -  I do have the Sheriffs Name & Badge. It says so on the ticket.. 

nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom