i have a meeting with a Vice President week. UPDATE: official tissue phone interview on Thursday

Nt fambilia...

I work for ATT and was able to score a 30 min appointment with the VP of finance next week.

I sent a bunch of folks an email telling them how I wanted to move to the financial side of the company, how I killed in my sales, how im in grad school, yadda yadda.

How should I approach the meeting? Trying to get a potential job? Or just ask him stuff about the company ...

This wasn't some contest or something. I straight up emailed him, and he told me to get with his assistant and set up a time.

I really want to make something out of this... getting that first foot in the door is tough .. especially in the corporate world... and ESPECIALLY in corporate finance.

Do I flex knowledge about finance? Ask for a position?

:nerd:

Update: so last week was about two weeks since I had the meeting ... and like I said, it seemed to go well.

So last Friday, I shot him a follow up... I was like "ay brah ... I know you got a bunch of **** going... but you gotta **** with me"

:lol:... or something along those lines...

Well, this morning, I got an email for a financial analyst phone interview from HR...

Any advice from financial analysts, or anyone else?

That last meeting was really informal ... this is more formal and a real "interview"...

And this is a 85k job... not trying to blow it brahs ...

Last edited:
Tell them how you've increases sales in the past, and how you'll do so in the future with such an opportunity. Money talks. Hope you freshen up on your finance/accounting.

I'm getting my masters in finance. That's why I only sent it to finance people

Remember, he's a regular person like you and me. He puts on his pants one leg at a time.

Here's how it will probably go:

While walking to a conference room:

VP : How was traffic getting here.
Ricky: It wasn't too bad, some parts were slow but then the roads cleared out.

Ya'll go to the room:
VP: I'm the VP of Finance, I've been with the company for X number of years. Before becoming VP, I was the controller for the Texas Finance Region of AT&T. Tell me about yourself?
Ricky: I currently work in (type of sales) sales and I am also working on completing my graduate degree in finance. In April, it will be 3 years working with AT&T.

VP will probably ask you a few questions about your future goals, etc. You respond about how you are interested in Finance and also staying with AT&T after finishing grad school and advancing within the company.

Last edited:
Remember, he's a regular person like you and me. He puts on his pants one leg at a time.

Here's how it will probably go:

While walking to a conference room:

VP : How was traffic getting here.
Ricky: It wasn't too bad, some parts were slow but then the roads cleared out.

Ya'll go to the room:
VP: I'm the VP of Finance, I've been with the company for X number of years. Before becoming VP, I was the controller for the Texas Finance Region of AT&T. Tell me about yourself?
Ricky: I currently work in (type of sales) sales and I am also working on completing my graduate degree in finance. In April, it will be 3 years working with AT&T.

VP will probably ask you a few questions about your future goals, etc. You respond about how you are interested in Finance and also staying with AT&T after finishing grad school and advancing within the company.

And that's how the cookie crumbles

Snitch on you coworkers.

Jk, be sure to ask him a bunch of questions (how he came up, etc).
Straight up ask him if he can be your mentor going forward.

People like talking about themselves, ask him about his path to where he is today. Try to get him to discuss his view of the current state of the company. If he does, you talk about your track record and your hand in the success of your dept. of the company. Keep a positive upbeat attitude and show your self friendly but serious. Share your goals with him and after you tell him more about yourself ask him if he has any advice to give someone with your ambitions/ visions. ( Remember he is you, but older, and a better job. So don't slurp him. He should feel like you are his friend and equal, but they gave you a crappier job so he should want to help you succeed). Have confidence, be honest, Get money.

Last edited:
People at the corporate level have a love hate relationships with guys like you that move their way up in the company.

Hopefully the VP is a guy like you potentially could be. The from the ground up guy. There will be division between you and the people who came straight to corporate. They will act like elites, while you and the likes will be humbled by your transitional experience.

Don't be a kiss butt because they run into people like that all the time trying to brown nose their way to the top.

Be yourself and let your personality flow. Most importantly, don't sweat anything. Go in there like you expect nothing and stay chill and calm. Part of making the cut is how you deal with pressure from higher ups. If they see it doesn't phase you, they'll relate with you more.

Also he might ask you about how you've implemented your financial skills and may put you on the spot with some scenarios.

Things working you:
-High competence: Your excelling at your current job, you're in Grad school.
-You had the balls to contact him

Ways you can blow it
-Slurp the dude constantly
-Be thirsty for a new job
-Asking the dude for vague career advice

What you should do
-Your main objective is getting a better job, and making this dude a allay for your ascent up the ranks
-Ask him about his route to his position
-Find a position in the company you want, maybe one you are even a lil under qualified for
-If you can try to find out everything you can about this job and try to prove to him you can do that job.
-Ask homeboy what gaps you need to fill so he would feel confident hiring you. CFA?, a certain software package?, whatever..
-Hit homeboy with the ole "I love sales, I excelled in sales, I will use what I learned (be specific a possible) in the future, but you're ready for the next challenge. And maybe you should do this before you start talking bout the job you want in the company
-Remember you want his dude to be an ally in the future. So have a plan on how you're gonna say in contact

-Only take 30 mins of his time, at the 30 mins mark be ready to bounce, unless homeboy ask you to stay because he wants to talk to you more.

Everything message you have sent dude up until this point screams "high potential, high competence" going in there unprepared will send the opposite message

I'm not a corporate person (college junior)
but i would definitely showcase my credentials to possibly get a job

Things working you:
-High competence: Your excelling at your current job, you're in Grad school.
-You had the balls to contact him

Ways you can blow it
-Slurp the dude constantly
-Be thirsty for a new job
-Asking the dude for vague career advice

What you should do
-Your main objective is getting a better job, and making this dude a allay for your ascent up the ranks
-Ask him about his route to his position
-Find a position in the company you want, maybe one you are even a lil under qualified for
-If you can try to find out everything you can about this job and try to prove to him you can do that job.
-Ask homeboy what gaps you need to fill so he would feel confident hiring you. CFA?, a certain software package?, whatever..
-Hit homeboy with the ole "I love sales, I excelled in sales, I will use what I learned (be specific a possible) in the future, but you're ready for the next challenge. And maybe you should do this before you start talking bout the job you want in the company
-Remember you want his dude to be an ally in the future. So have a plan on how you're gonna say in contact

-Only take 30 mins of his time, at the 30 mins mark be ready to bounce, unless homeboy ask you to stay because he wants to talk to you more.

Everything message you have sent dude up until this point screams "high potential, high competence" going in there unprepared will send the opposite message

This + my advice and you are good to go. :smokin

Noted on the advice. Rep will be presented accordingly.

Y'all think this could parlay into a potential job?

My main goal was to get into the financial leadership development program that ATT offers...

A recruiter told me that ATT employees weren't allowed, which I know is total bull **** cuz we had a guy come work our store for in the retail LDP... son was in a call center... and gave me the lowdown ...

The FLDP is dopeness ... like 90k a year and you travel a lot... I really want in on that program, and I figured it'd be better if I worked for the company already. They say I'm not eligible, but I don't know any company that's like that. My famb just copped a summer analyst spot with wells Fargo after being a personal banker with them for 10 months.

I know if I can score on that program, I'm set... but even if not, I'll happily accept financial analyst position for 60k and just grind my way up the chain till I'm running this muh fuh.

Wouldn't I be better off if his is bigger?

Don't want to give him terrors of me digging out his wife and daughter

Not to worry. The world is run on DD (dik dominance)

Last edited:
Funny thing, I worked for ATT in sales as well. I was part of the Emerging Sales Professionals program, and was slated to join the Premium Client Group when I finished up. I decided I hated working for them though and didn't like the red-neck, yacht and middle manager mentality of sales (at least in my office). Just wasn't for me even though the pay was going to be 100k+ for easyish work.

Anyways, what you need to do is think about what positions you actually want. He isn't going to do your research for you. Basically all you need to do is go in and say, I have been working in sales, but I'd like to transition to the finance team. It is what my graduate program is in, and for a career position that is where I see myself long term. Then, ask him what his thoughts are on working in finance for AT&T, and how did he get to where he is. He'll talk for a while and it should be easy. Close to the end let him know about the positions you are interested in, and say, "do you have any advice on how I should go about being considered for these positions?" If he is not a ****/and you guys had a good convo, he will say yeah sure why don't you give me your resume and i'll forward it to the department managers.

Rock your XIs to the meeting
Psssssh..

I'm trying to GET a job...

Snapbackz with da foambz and a rosarie...

#instahire

Funny thing, I worked for ATT in sales as well. I was part of the Emerging Sales Professionals program, and was slated to join the Premium Client Group when I finished up. I decided I hated working for them though and didn't like the red-neck, yacht and middle manager mentality of sales (at least in my office). Just wasn't for me even though the pay was going to be 100k+ for easyish work.

Anyways, what you need to do is think about what positions you actually want. He isn't going to do your research for you. Basically all you need to do is go in and say, I have been working in sales, but I'd like to transition to the finance team. It is what my graduate program is in, and for a career position that is where I see myself long term. Then, ask him what his thoughts are on working in finance for AT&T, and how did he get to where he is. He'll talk for a while and it should be easy. Close to the end let him know about the positions you are interested in, and say, "do you have any advice on how I should go about being considered for these positions?" If he is not a ****/and you guys had a good convo, he will say yeah sure why don't you give me your resume and i'll forward it to the department managers.

Were you in sales?

I'm trying to make that transition as smooth as possible...

Lead financial analyst clocking 100k... I could be there in a few years...

And eventually, start my own type of deal... But I want to learn from a great company structure, nawmean

Last edited:
Psssssh..

I'm trying to GET a job...

Snapbackz with da foambz and a rosarie...

#instahire
Were you in sales?

I'm trying to make that transition as smooth as possible...

Lead financial analyst clocking 100k... I could be there in a few years...

And eventually, start my own type of deal... But I want to learn from a great company structure, nawmean

Did you even read what I wrote? No disrespect, just asking? That is what the whole beginning of my advice was. That I was in the business sales segment of ATT. Honestly though if you are just in it for the monies why not stick with sales? My base pay was 48k and if I maxed out quota it was 127k. This wasn't hard to do, all you need to do is have one client that is huge..and this is just based on luck. For example, in premier client group one of my friend's was on the sales group that had a major league baseball team. They basically had to do nothing..just chill and fly out to meet them once in a while. They were over quota for three years in a row due to that. So they caked 127k just checking emails on their blackberries from home for three years.

Fam how you askin a buncha unemployed NTers for advice instead of one of your finance professors?

Back
Top Bottom