I miss early 2000's-mid/late 2000's ACC basketball

Seriously... so many talented teams with so many talented players. Every night of the week there was a battle on Jefferson Pilot Sports. Loved watching BJ Elder and Jarret Jack at GT, Engin Atsur and Julius Hodge at NC State, Juan Dixon and the gang at UMD, J.R. Reynolds and Sean Singletary at UVA, Josh Howard and CP3 at Wake... Let's not even start on UNC and Duke. I think I could have named every coach and the top rebounder, scorer, and assist man on every team in every year back then.  
frown.gif
 I can't be the only one who misses it.
Final Four Appearances:

-2000: UNC

-2001: Duke + UMD - Duke won

-2002: UMD - UMD won

-2003: ---

-2004: GT + Duke

-2005: UNC - UNC won

-2006: ---

-2007: ---

-2008: UNC

Well Syracuse and Pitt will help add some power. Maybe Uconn if they get the invite.
Maryland should bounce back. Virginia and Florida State look to make a jump. Even NC State looks to bounce back with their class coming in.
Should be back to the way it was

we need to get back to that.

I remember a year(2004, I think) when there were like 6 or 7(out of 9) ACC teams in the tournament & they were all quality.

Duke, UNC, Wake, GT, Maryland, NC State.

The ACC is so much better when NC State, Wake, & Maryland are at the top of their games. NC State should be a pretty good team next year.

ACC had must watch battles and players every week... I just need the terps to be good again....

With all the teams joining the ACC, I think it's diluting the talent, that's why it hasn't been as good in the past 5 or so years as it was for the past like 30 years.

Too much parity

Hopefully won't be too long before the ACC is king again, but the recent peak was so memorable. If you look at ACC basketball from the mid 90s onward, the talent that has passed through just since Grant Hill has been incredible. Can't believe it's been a decade since my Terps won it all. Not easy being a DMV sports fan, but that was such a great time.

And as always, $+$@ Duke.

Even Boston College when they had Dudley, Smith, and Williams. Just annihilating people in the paint. Florida State with Al Thornton and Isaiah Swann. It was so much fun.

I remember going to the ACC Tournament Semifinals in '05 when it came to DC to see UNC v. Georgia Tech. I'm a die hard UNC fan, but even I loved that GT team and left not even all that mad that we lost. I was mad though that GT lost to Duke the next day in the Final. Squads were so stacked that game...
Will Bynum v. Ray Felton
B.J. Elder v. Marvin Williams
Jarret Jack v. Rashad McCants
Anthony Morrow v. Jawad Williams
Isma'il Muhammad v. David Noel
Luke Schenscher v. Sean May
Mario West v. Jackie Manuel
Theodis Tarver v. ReyShawn Terry

kix4kix- Me too. *throws on Forte jersey from the UNC school store*

The God League 
pimp.gif

My tenure at Duke was during the peak of ACC basketball and it was so damn trill.  I honestly miss that %@%+

whe SLAM Magazine chronicled PGs in the ACC

CP3
Jarret Jack
Raymond Felton
Gilchrist

I remember being livid because they left out Daniel Ewing
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NooEra

ACC basketball = one of the staples of my sports life
pimp.gif
this, even though my team is almost unwatchable now (Maryland). back then guys stayed in school. so you'd literally grow up watching certain players and it'd feel like they had been around for forever. 
who remembers the CP3/Justin Gray backcourt? and some people were saying Gray was gonna be nicer than Chris..
laugh.gif

some other guys who were synonymous with that era.. Sean Singletary, Reyshawn Terry, Guillermo Diaz, Nik Caner Medley (lol), Sean Dockery, Daniel Ewing James Gist, Luke Schensorensger or whatever it was old mop head dude. those were the days
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom