I Regret Going to College

Only mistake people make is going to a private college when they can't afford it , I did that and still regret it

I would also say that so many people fresh out of high school should go to a community college to see if they want to continue their education, I know a lot of people that dropped out after their first year.
Guy I know has to pay back 40 K since he went to a private school, thats just insane :x

I'm also close to finishing and only doing it because I am at 100 credits, gotta get something out of it.

There's a lot expensive public institutions as well. The key is understanding the costs and making the better financial choice. If you don't have a lot of grants and scholarships and will need to take out loans, start looking more cost efficient choices. Especially if you won't graduate into a field that can pay off those loans in a decent amount of time. If that means you can't go to your top choice oh well. If that means you'll have to stay in state for the tuition benefit, then do that.

IMO this western mentality of "studying and doing what you enjoy" is the culpirt That is why all these kids end up with BA in Theatre and Gender Studies. How about do what is useful for society? or do what is in demand?
I mean some people value happiness more than money. Why would someone major in something that they know they don't like? Why would someone work 30 or 40 years in a job being unhappy everyday? That's not life to me at least.

Last edited:
I mean some people value happiness more than money. Why would someone major in something that they know they don't like? Why would someone work 30 or 40 years in a job being unhappy everyday? That's not life to me at least.
no one is saying you can't do that. You can pursue art without being hundreds of thousands in debt over a bull @#$# degree. My ex was a creative type that loved making different arts and crafts for a living, but she did all of that without going to college and made the same as the typical in debt art grad.

Last edited:
Accounting sucks the soul.  I'm 40 and have been working in the field or related for 14 years.  You'll find other ways to find happiness, such as hobbies or pursuing your passion on the side.

People talking about "happiness"?  Can you be happy when you're broke, living at your parents' and can't get a date because dependent on your folks?

Finish the degree, get to work.  Things will work out.

Accounting sucks the soul.  I'm 40 and have been working in the field or related for 14 years.  You'll find other ways to find happiness, such as hobbies or pursuing your passion on the side.

People talking about "happiness"?  Can you be happy when you're broke, living at your parents' and can't get a date because dependent on your folks?

Finish the degree, get to work.  Things will work out.

No one said go do something you don't like. How about being a rational decision maker and using nuanced judgement on how you should plan your career? Evaluate what things you enjoy, what things your environment demands (both now and in the future), what things could maximise the well-being of the most number of people, what things will give you the most economic prosperity and freedom and what type of life you want to live. Combining all these things into an important life decision will drastically reduce the margin of error in choosing something that is 'wrong' for you. 

They lurking on here fam

NT and Devry in cahoots with each other
mean.gif
lol wtf!

Some of my most interesting classes have been electives. God forbid you don't study what you major in 24/7 like a robot. You become more well rounded when you take other classes.
Definitely agree with this. I was intrigued by Philosophy for years but there was never anywhere to discuss the topics growing up. I was able to get exposed to it in elective classes and I ended up minoring in it. Philosophy doesn't go great with my major, but people instantly change their perception on you for the better when they see it on your resume. It also helped me with understanding complex subjects and comprehending both sides to a situation.

Enjoy the journey while you're there and take some interesting subjects to balance out the bad ones (accounting).

Phoenix needs to be next, a friend of mine is enrolled in Phoenix and he was telling how easy it was. Didn't want to rain on his parade that most HR departments don't even consider those Phoenix degrees.

They already closed the campus here in Tucson, as well as ITT Tech and Carrington College.

actually have a lot of friends and ppl I know who are creative types that don't make much money at all that are a lot more happy than corporate ppl I know making $150k, $175k, $200k and what not
I don't doubt you, and I do, too.  I truly envy those types.  They probably knew exactly what they wanted to do with their lives and had the drive and talent to make a living being creative. 

My reply was for OP who seems pretty close to obtaining a degree.  My point is that not making any money at all isn't a fun existence.

Last edited:
No one said go do something you don't like. How about being a rational decision maker and using nuanced judgement on how you should plan your career? Evaluate what things you enjoy, what things your environment demands (both now and in the future), what things could maximise the well-being of the most number of people, what things will give you the most economic prosperity and freedom and what type of life you want to live. Combining all these things into an important life decision will drastically reduce the margin of error in choosing something that is 'wrong' for you. 

I firmly believe one of the bigger issues than we can point to regarding the transition from high school to college is the clear lack of preparation involved in a lot of underfunded districts. I don't know how you can expect a 17-18 year old to forecast economic conditions five years down the line. Too many times have I seen kids try to force themselves into STEM and end up dropping out because they weren't prepared for the rigors of higher education (and still blow thousands of dollars).

There also needs to be more financial literacy provided for high schoolers and there needs to be more of an emphasis on alternative education (because 'formal' education for sure isn't for everyone).

OP I would just finish up, schedule private tutoring sessions with people in your student success center, find classmates that know what they're doing and ask for help, and most importantly never give up. You're almost done why quit at the finish line.

Life has it's up and downs amigo, but you must always remember to keep on going. The obstacle is the way.

Your degree will somehow pay dividends, even if you decide to switch careers... which will likely happen more than once. Twice if you're really hustling.

Be a student to life bro and continue to read even after school. Try new topics like Stoicism, philosophy, psych, design, etc... It will help vet out your inner game and unlock your true potential. Your purpose. New ideas and opinions will form with everyday life experiences so long as you continue to put yourself out there.

You're the average of the 5 people you hang around most. Get out there and network. Don't be afraid to ask someone to be a mentor.

Also travel as a self graduation gift. Even backpack on the cheap if need be. Build perspective.

Lastly your young dude. Be patient, yet efficient. Everyone once was where you are. Everything will work out. Just keep going.

Last edited:
As someone who just paid off their student loans three days ago and really started seeing the benefits of their degree a year ago it's worth it in the long run bro.

I would never work where I work if I didn't have a college degree and to some extent went to the school I went to.

Anecdotal yes but I'm sure many people will utter the same sentiments. Plus all of the "the average compensation of college degree holders is X more than non college graduates" stats you can find out there should speak volumes.

A lot of people have expressed their dislike of accounting, I really had no opinion which way about it until I had my internship. Hated the whole experience and decided to pivot to something else. It was nothing like the coursework at all.

I firmly believe one of the bigger issues than we can point to regarding the transition from high school to college is the clear lack of preparation involved in a lot of underfunded districts. I don't know how you can expect a 17-18 year old to forecast economic conditions five years down the line. Too many times have I seen kids try to force themselves into STEM and end up dropping out because they weren't prepared for the rigors of higher education (and still blow thousands of dollars).

There also needs to be more financial literacy provided for high schoolers and there needs to be more of an emphasis on alternative education (because 'formal' education for sure isn't for everyone).
100% agree

:nerd:
IMO this western mentality of "studying and doing what you enjoy" is the culpirt That is why all these kids end up with BA in Theatre and Gender Studies. How about do what is useful for society? or do what is in demand?

Nah. Not enough freedom. Not enough rebellion

Back
Top Bottom