Ideas Needed for Teaching Basketball and Soccer to kids

Hey NT, I know you are all creative so I'm going to need your help.

For my part-time job, I've been teaching basketball and soccer to kids aged 6-12 at a local community center. I'll be teaching four classes in totalthis fall: a basketball and soccer class for each of the age groups (one group aged 6-8 and another group aged 9-12).

I don't have any problems with teaching the fundamentals of the sports, but I need help thinking of activities I could implement to help make my lessonsmore fun. For example, when I was younger, I joined this basketball camp where the coach wouldtape a $20 bill on the rim, and anyone who made 5 three pointers in a row would get it (I never got it by the way, lol).

Other ideas I have are: giving them streetball nicknames, having an all-star weekend (fun competitions forprizes)..

And some additional information… my classes usually have about 10-15 kids. Also, I've played on my high school ballteam but I never really played soccer.. So ideas for soccer are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For basketball you can have a free-throw contest. Have them shoot 100 shots (may be a lot for 6-12 kids, so you could change amount of shots accordingly) andat the end see who had the best percentage. That person then gets a prize. You could tell them a week in advance about the free-throw contest so they can gohome and practice and what-not.

For soccer you can have a penalty shoot-out. That's always fun. Seperate the group into two teams and have both compete to see which team scores the mostgoals from the shootout. Winning group gets a pizza or ice cream party.

That's all i got.

pecentral.org has tons of lesson plans and cooperative games for bball and soccer, just look through the lesson index

ive played soccer all my life and the games i remembered being the most fun as a kid were sharks and minos and cuppies

sharks and minos: you need a ball for every kid except for one, so unless you have enough soccer balls this isnt gonna work. you make a square space w/ conesor whatever and you have all the kids dribble around inside the square.one kid is running around trying to get the ball from each kid to kick it outside of thesquare.if your ball gets kicked out, you step out of the square and the last one in the square wins.the winner then becomes the "shark" in the nextround.

cuppies:you have the kids split up into pairs.one kid plays goalie.you wanna use a space about the size of the penalty area (about 25 by 25 yards).you givethem one ball and its like a soccer game but its each team of two against every other team of 2.if you or your partner score, you step out and move on to thenext round.if you and your partner are the last ones to have not scored, you're out for the next round.you keep playing multiple rounds until you reach theround where there is only 2 teams going against eachother.the first to score in the last round wins the whole game.

im not sure if i explained it very clearly but i tried haha

Back
Top Bottom