If Aaliyah Hadn't Passed, Would Starlets Like Beyonce Be As Successful?

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

Thanks to Papa Knowles and the team
grin.gif
...Beyonce would have made it with mainstream audiences regardless.
However, Aaliyah would have probably continued to dominate R&B charts and could've even had some success on the pop charts
assuming Timbaland still went ahead and tweaked his sound  (ex. Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, etc).
I'm going to go ahead and say Mrs. Carter wouldn't be the ONLY sista on the block gettin love from the mainstream but just as successful nonetheless...
nerd.gif

false

Alllrrighty

Whoa Whoa Whoa................. Lot of RECKLESS talk about Babygirl......... Shorty was the truth,

"Try Again" was released as a single from the soundtrack; the song topped the Billboard Hot 100, making Aaliyah the first artist to top the chart based solely on airplay. I mean she would have suffered heavily due to downloading, but if she was still alive, we would be like Rihanna WHO?!?!?!!?

Doubt she would have nudes unless her and Dame had an ugly divorce or something.....................

I came in here prepared to say hell no,but after some thought i've come to the conclusion that these females would still have some success.
Look at all the talented ladies that didn't lose their lives who STILL fell by the wayside (for whatever reason(s)). Unfortunately the $%#* is just a vicious cycle.

I came in here prepared to say hell no,but after some thought i've come to the conclusion that these females would still have some success.
Look at all the talented ladies that didn't lose their lives who STILL fell by the wayside (for whatever reason(s)). Unfortunately the $%#* is just a vicious cycle.

I'm still not understanding how Aaliyah still being around stifles other people's careers. Like talent can't be shaped and molded to fit the times, or like there's room for only one.

I'm still not understanding how Aaliyah still being around stifles other people's careers. Like talent can't be shaped and molded to fit the times, or like there's room for only one.

i think if she had finished filming the matrix, her career would have been on a whole other level afterwards...

i think if she had finished filming the matrix, her career would have been on a whole other level afterwards...

She was falling off? Yall must be talkin about someone else......really think back.

She was falling off? Yall must be talkin about someone else......really think back.

Her death is irrelevant to the success of any of those artists...

Selena's death boosting J-lo's carreer would have been a better example.

Her death is irrelevant to the success of any of those artists...

Selena's death boosting J-lo's carreer would have been a better example.

Considering Beyonce was already bigger as a member of DC than Aaliyah before she died, and Aaliyah had zero number 1 albums prior to her passing, I'm gonna have to roll with a resounding NO.

I loved Aaliyah...but she never dominated the game while she was alive. Her last album was falling down the charts right after it's release, and it wasn't until she passed that it flew up the charts to number 1. If we're really being honest, her music was great because of Timbaland and Missy. She didn't write anything.

IMO, if anything, I think Aaliyah was on her way to blowing up as a huge movie star. The Matrix was about to send her off into the stratosphere and she would have definitely been one of the biggest musician/actresses in the game. She was going to be a huge double threat.

Considering Beyonce was already bigger as a member of DC than Aaliyah before she died, and Aaliyah had zero number 1 albums prior to her passing, I'm gonna have to roll with a resounding NO.

I loved Aaliyah...but she never dominated the game while she was alive. Her last album was falling down the charts right after it's release, and it wasn't until she passed that it flew up the charts to number 1. If we're really being honest, her music was great because of Timbaland and Missy. She didn't write anything.

IMO, if anything, I think Aaliyah was on her way to blowing up as a huge movie star. The Matrix was about to send her off into the stratosphere and she would have definitely been one of the biggest musician/actresses in the game. She was going to be a huge double threat.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

Beyonce's in a different lane.

Now if we're talking Ciara or Keri Hilson or Ashanti (or any of them birds in that lane)....
Fixed and QFT.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

Beyonce's in a different lane.

Now if we're talking Ciara or Keri Hilson or Ashanti (or any of them birds in that lane)....
Fixed and QFT.

Brandy and Monica was actually hotter in the 90's. Aaliyah was 3rd behind them. People don't recall Brandy first 2 albums (Brandy) sold 6 million and (Never Say Never) sold 16 million. Monica and Brandy also had more top 10 hits. Aaliyah def had her own style and image though 
pimp.gif
Brandy was the biggest female teen star back in the 90's.

[table][tr][th=""]Year[/th][th=""]Album details[/th][th=""]Peak chart positions[/th][th=""]Sales[/th][th=""]Certifications
(sales thresholds)[/th][/tr][tr][th=""]US
[sup][11][/sup][/th][th=""]AUS
[sup][12][/sup][/th][th=""]BEL
[sup][13][/sup][/th][th=""]CAN
[sup][11][/sup][/th][th=""]FRA
[sup][14][/sup][/th][th=""]GER
[sup][15][/sup][/th][th=""]NET
[sup][16][/sup][/th][th=""]NOR
[sup][17][/sup][/th][th=""]NZ
[sup][16][/sup][/th][th=""]SWE
[sup][18][/sup][/th][th=""]SWI
[sup][19][/sup][/th][th=""]UK
[sup][20][/sup][/th][/tr][tr][td]1994[/td][td]Brandy[/td][td]20[/td][td]26[/td][td]—[/td][td]20[/td][td]—[/td][td]86[/td][td]—[/td][td]—[/td][td]—[/td][td]—[/td][td]—[/td][td]—[/td][td]World: 6,000,000[sup][21][/sup]
US: 2,120,000[sup][22][/sup][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]1998[/td][td]Never Say Never[/td][td]2[/td][td]13[/td][td]21[/td][td]3[/td][td]12[/td][td]10[/td][td]5[/td][td]25[/td][td]21[/td][td]15[/td][td]11[/td][td]19[/td][td]World: 16,000,000[sup][21][/sup]
US: 4,400,000[sup][22][/sup][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom