If It Wasn't For ________ Today's Southern Hip Hop Scene Wouldn't Exist

slideshow_315168_ti.jpg

In 1991 he cut his first album, Get Away Clean, under the name Master P for the tiny In A Minute label. While the first two Master P albums sold negligibly at first, he was quickly learning the rudiments of both the record business and the hardcore rap market, and in 1994, Miller observed that while major labels were shunning hard-edged "gangsta rap" in a desire to avoid controversy, there was still a large and loyal market for street-level hip hop. That year, Master P dropped his third album, the more accomplished 'The Ghetto's Tryin' to Kill Me!', on his own No Limit Records label. Master P sold this album out of the trunk of his car yet still managed to sell an impressive 250,000 copies without the benefit of national distribution.
Then Master P decided to sign his two brother (C-murder and Silkk the shocker) to his No Limit label. The three Millers together recorded with the name TRU, while rappers Mystikal and Mia-X also recorded platinum-plus releases for No Limit. Artists before Master P were focused on the popularity and glamour that being a hip hop artist brings instead of focusing on the financial benefits that could've be gained. All that changed in 1996 when Master P signed a ground breaking music distribution deal with Priority Records, one where No Limit Records would retain 100% ownership of their Master Recordings and keep 85% of their record's sales while giving Priority 15% in return for pressing and distribution. This deal caused Master P to make millions off of it. After this people's eyes were opened and they realised the amount of money that could be made by entering into the hip hop business.

Source

Originally Posted by r0yalty

slideshow_315168_ti.jpg

when were you born...94?!?

T.I. is my favorite right now and paved the way for the more "southern lyrical MC / trap music" but dont disrespect the pioneers man!

try Scarface, UGK, Luke, Master P, Cashmoney

Agreed.

It wouldn't be what it is today, but I think P did more for the entrepreneurial side of things more than any.

I think you meant to say

If It Wasn't For ___________ There Would be no executive deals for rappers, no corporate endorsements, no Roc, no Jay cutting big deals, etc.

I 4rm da south New Orleans 2 be exact 2 me these dudes created our hiphop sence & Open da doors 4 dudes like T.I.,Luda (in no order)
Scarface
UGK
8Ball &MJG
Outkast & da whole dungeon family(Goodie Mob,Organized Konfusion ect.)
2 Live Crew
No Limit Records
Cash Money
Mystikal
Geto Boys
Harlem On The Rise I see u wit dem old No limit Videos homie " Heaven for A gangsta" use 2 be ma Sh*t I remember watchin demvideos on Phat Phat & all Dat(all ma people 4rm da N.O. know wat I'm talkin bout) much luv 4 dis thread homie

^ I thinking he's speaking of the independence/grind that defines most of the southern rap scene

btw everybody should should check out this DVD if you haven't already
519K6YZM7VL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Call me crazy but I miss the days when No Limit was running the South
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
I feel bad now laughing at P trying to keep up by gettingwhack and jocking Cash Money's style back then.

This thread is truth, I use to wild out to Did I Do That
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
UhOohhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Triple Homicide

DO NOT forget about:

5f63564beea3808ff2e0e607324ada59f1acdf1.gif
Came in here to mention them. They second to No Limit.

As great as they are, you're out of your right mind if you think UGK, Scarface/Geto Boys, 8B/MJG, Kast, etc had more of an effect on TODAYS southern hiphop scene than No Limit.

Originally Posted by cartune

I think you meant to say

If It Wasn't For ___________ There Would be no executive deals for rappers, no corporate endorsements, no Roc, no Jay cutting big deals, etc.

Exactly what I was gonna come in and say. Master P didn't pave doors for the South. He paved the way for rappers who wanted to be entreprenauers. Sure hewasn't the first. Luke and Eazy were before him. But people really took notice when P did it and rappers began to seek their own label's just as P did.

You're from Harlem. It shows if you think the South wouldn't exist had P not come along. A lot of solid material was made but the South was movingbefore P and it would've moved without him.

Scarface/Geto Boys were the first dudes out of the South I seen get respect by any and every region. Ball and G as well.

Originally Posted by BradNSU

I 4rm da south New Orleans 2 be exact 2 me these dudes created our hiphop sence & Open da doors 4 dudes like T.I.,Luda (in no order)
Scarface
UGK
8Ball &MJG
Outkast & da whole dungeon family(Goodie Mob,Organized Konfusion ect.)
2 Live Crew
No Limit Records
Cash Money
Mystikal
Geto Boys
Harlem On The Rise I see u wit dem old No limit Videos homie " Heaven for A gangsta" use 2 be ma Sh*t I remember watchin dem videos on Phat Phat & all Dat(all ma people 4rm da N.O. know wat I'm talkin bout) much luv 4 dis thread homie

Reppin The N.O.
pimp.gif

Scarface & UGK help to popularize the south at a time when most of the music being played was either westcoast or eastcoast.

Master P & No Limit made southern music marketable.

as much as I love the Geto Boys and UGKs of the world, today's southern scene owes everything to No Limit and Cash Money.

To me..."scene" means popularity...success on a commercial level...and to that extent the answer has to be No Limit...with Cash Money even pushing itto a higher level around 99-2000.

Back
Top Bottom