If It Wasn't For ________ Today's Southern Hip Hop Scene Wouldn't Exist

Scarface, Master P and UGK are the reason why Southern Rap is BIG. I respect and bump all 3

Notice I said TODAYS southern hip hop... I'm sure Luke inspired the whole south (and the nation) but can you honestly say his influence is responsible forthe souths presense today??... Further more, how many southern acts had their own imprint before P?? Outside of the obvious, next to no one... Now a southernartist won't go to a major without his own imprint...

P signed in w/ Priority 1996... Rap A Lot was well established... Luke wasn't as relevent as he was in the early 90s... I never said he was responsible forEVERYone in the south rapping, that's obsurd... But what's goin on today, if there was No Master P the whole landscape of hip hop would be different...

Also you guys know who put the first multi platinum plaque on Pimp Cs wall don't you??GOD Bless his soul...

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Notice I said TODAYS southern hip hop... I'm sure Luke inspired the whole south (and the nation) but can you honestly say his influence is responsible for the souths presense today??... Further more, how many southern acts had their own imprint before P?? Outside of the obvious, next to no one... Now a southern artist won't go to a major without his own imprint...

P signed in w/ Priority 1996... Rap A Lot was well established... Luke wasn't as relevent as he was in the early 90s... I never said he was responsible for EVERYone in the south rapping, that's obsurd... But what's goin on today, if there was No Master P the whole landscape of hip hop would be different...

Also you guys know who put the first multi platinum plaque on Pimp Cs wall don't you??GOD Bless his soul...

If you want to really look at it from this perspective I see more Luke's running around than I see Master P's to be honest. All these catchy hooks?Luke was doing that before any of these cats. Flo Rida I think himself says Luke influenced him and i'd have to agree. A lot of these younger rappersprobably don't even know who really started this catchy club music. I'd have to give that nod to Luke over P. P oversaturated the market with his NoLimit imprint. I just don't see P's running around here like that. I think you dudes give P too much credit. Especially as far as his influence onrappers goes. Dude tarnished his legacy by all that garbage he dropped after Beats By Da Pound left. P should still be relevant today. Not relevant as in stillbeing on the pop charts but his name should hold more weight than it does.

Ummm It wasn't Jay Z who put that first multi plat plaque on Pimps wall...
laugh.gif

Luke?? Are you serious... NY rappers were doin those hooks @ Block Parties a good 10 years before he popped up... I'm convinced if I made this thread forLuke insteap of P you'd come in here and say someone else was responsible...

P signed his deal when the east and west dominated the charts/radio/ entire industry... He changed the business... Everyone else put in work before him, buthim signing that deal in 96 changed more %@%@ than anyone before or after... No Limit was doing ARENA tours... Selling them %%!@% out in EVERY region, that wasalmost unheard of for a southern based label to do that %@%@... Cash Money followed suit... He put No Limit on a Bad Boy/Death Row level... No one did more inthe changing of the landscape of hip hop than Master P & No Limit... I don't remember UGK, 3 6 Mafia, or Geto Boys selling out stadiums in the tristate... unless I'm missing something...

I think P did more for Hip Hop Entrepreneurs as a whole, East, West, South whatever. He was the first as far as successfully using his brand to start up othersuccessfully ventures. IMO he's the predecessor to guys like Puff, Jay and 50.

As far as musically, I disagree with the statement. Musically, dudes from the South are more likely to cite Luke, Geto Boys, UGK, Ball & G etc. asinfluences. Dudes who make music worth listening to anyway.

Man, I used to rock w/ No Limit hard back then. Just downloaded MP: the Last Don and fittin to get Ghetto D. Luke, Geto Boyz, UGK, No Limit def paved the way.P had that real music back in the day
laugh.gif

"We No Limit Soldiers, I thought I told ya"
pimp.gif

Further more, how many southern acts had their own imprint before P?? Outside of the obvious, next to no one... Now a southern artist won't go to a major without his own imprint...
A lot of them actually. Southern artists have always been putting themselves on. Pressing, promoting and distributing they're own stuff. Pdid take it to the next level as far as majors and ownership though.

They were all like P before 96... Independent as +#$%
laugh.gif
... Then after his success they all started taking their movements to majors... And major begin totake notice...

No Limit started in 90 or 91... He obviously was influenced by the "orginators" of pushing your own product... The Bay

They were all like P before 96... Independent as +#$%
laugh.gif
... Then after his success they all started taking their movements to majors... And major begin to take notice...

No Limit started in 90 or 91... He obviously was influenced by the "orginators" of pushing your own product... The Bay
1046786100_cc6eba5f01.jpg

It's beautiful

Back
Top Bottom