If My Laptop Does NOT Have An HDMI Port, How Can I Stream To My HDTV?

if you know someone at bestbuy yuo can get all these gagets for cheap...theyre like 96 cents each when they sell em for 15

or go to dealextreme or some site like it

if you know someone at bestbuy yuo can get all these gagets for cheap...theyre like 96 cents each when they sell em for 15

or go to dealextreme or some site like it

If you stream stuff do you have to have the items downloaded onto your HD or can I YouTube something on my laptop and view it on my TV?

If you stream stuff do you have to have the items downloaded onto your HD or can I YouTube something on my laptop and view it on my TV?

S-video and the like are better than nothing, but the quality's not going to be that great (analog). 
If you have a DVI out on your laptop, you can get a DVI to HDMI cable. This is preferred, since DVI is already a digital signal. 

If your TV has a regular VGA port (computer monitor), you can just do a VGA cable from the lappy to the tube.

If your laptop doesn't have DVI (like mine) and your TV doesn't have a VGA port, one alternative a lot of people don't think about is a port replicator/dock. 

dell-laptop-docking-station.jpg

Dell_Port_Rep_PR01X-main.jpg

You can get them pretty cheap online, and they've got every output imaginable (except usually HDMI). You'll still have to run audio, but it's easier from the dock and you'd have to do that separately on your laptop anyway. Another bonus of this method is that there's no swapping and unplugging cables all the time. You have this near your TV somewhere all hooked up, and just drop your laptop in when you want to use it. Plus it charges your laptop while it's connected. 
smokin.gif

S-video and the like are better than nothing, but the quality's not going to be that great (analog). 
If you have a DVI out on your laptop, you can get a DVI to HDMI cable. This is preferred, since DVI is already a digital signal. 

If your TV has a regular VGA port (computer monitor), you can just do a VGA cable from the lappy to the tube.

If your laptop doesn't have DVI (like mine) and your TV doesn't have a VGA port, one alternative a lot of people don't think about is a port replicator/dock. 

dell-laptop-docking-station.jpg

Dell_Port_Rep_PR01X-main.jpg

You can get them pretty cheap online, and they've got every output imaginable (except usually HDMI). You'll still have to run audio, but it's easier from the dock and you'd have to do that separately on your laptop anyway. Another bonus of this method is that there's no swapping and unplugging cables all the time. You have this near your TV somewhere all hooked up, and just drop your laptop in when you want to use it. Plus it charges your laptop while it's connected. 
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by larrivee7

Which is what I tried once but the audio doesn't carry over to my HDTV.

Originally Posted by larrivee7

Which is what I tried once but the audio doesn't carry over to my HDTV.

Help me with your guidance and solve my problem mnw (if it can be done).
laugh.gif

Help me with your guidance and solve my problem mnw (if it can be done).
laugh.gif

^^ Only HDMI carries digital video and audio together. All other ways of sending video have no audio component. 
Get an RCA splitter that will plug into your laptop's headphone jack (3.5mm jack).

41HxVUcYfGL.jpg

^^ Only HDMI carries digital video and audio together. All other ways of sending video have no audio component. 
Get an RCA splitter that will plug into your laptop's headphone jack (3.5mm jack).

41HxVUcYfGL.jpg

I'm just assuming your old HP doesn't have a mini display port. Do you have it? Usually macs have it, not many pcs.

Back
Top Bottom