If not Sam Bowie, Michael Jordan would be Portland's #2 pick? Guess again..

It has long been considered one of the great mistakes in the history of drafting—not just the NBA draft, but any sports draft in general.

In 1984, Portland held the No. 2 pick in the draft, and passed on Michael Jordan in favor of Kentucky big man Sam Bowie, who would suffer a knee injury that limited him to 10 NBA seasons, in which he averaged 10.9 points and 7.5 rebounds. He played just 139 games for the Blazers. Hakeem Olajuwon, considered one of the great big men, went No.1 to the Houston Rockets in the same draft.

Jordan, of course, was chosen at No. 3 by the Chicago Bulls and went on to win six NBA championships and 10 scoring titles, earning a spot as, arguably, the greatest player in the history of the game. But here’s the kicker: even if Portland had not gone with Bowie, they still would have not drafted Jordan. Instead, the pick would have been power forward Charles Barkley.

The Blazers had chosen Clyde Drexler the previous season, and with Kiki Vandeweghe and Jim Paxson already on the roster, Portland’s brass was not looking for more help on the wing. That’s why they went with Bowie, and why they would have taken Barkley has Bowie been gone.

According to Joe Freeman of the Oregonian, who viewed an ESPN documentary about Bowie, former Trail Blazers coach Jack Ramsay said, “I don’t remember Michael Jordan’s name being mentioned.”

As former Blazers front office executive Harry Glickman told the paper, “If you look back at the draft, if we hadn’t selected (Bowie), we wouldn’t have selected Jordan. We probably would have gone with Charles Barkley.”

Yeah, there's definitely a fallacy in that line of thinking. Even IF Bowie had gone first (which never would have happened) they would have taken Hakeem, since they were in it for a big man all the way.

Everyone knows (well, everyone should know, but NT never ceases to amaze) that having Drexler was the reason they didn't even consider Jordan.

Yea this could go either way I truly feel the blazers are cursed with their draft picks over the years..can the same go with 04 with Bron Dario and melo?

Yea this could go either way I truly feel the blazers are cursed with their draft picks over the years..can the same go with 04 with Bron Dario and melo?
How were the Blazers cursed in 2004? :nerd:

It all makes sense, and I've always said that was the reason but when it comes to basketball I'm a proponent of drafting talent over position so IDK if I would have done the same

even if they took Sir Charles it's not like it would be a bad pick

anyone can be questioned missing out on the GOAT but if Portland even did take MJ who is to say he would have had the career he had

wasnt nobody passing on hakeem

imagine hakeem,pippen and rodman on the same team though ....how many points they giving up?

Every time I imagine Jordan playing in Portland...my stomach starts to hurt.

Chicago was literally the most perfect team for him.

Every time I imagine Jordan playing in Portland...my stomach starts to hurt.
Chicago was literally the most perfect team for him.
same colorway as the bulls , also closer to nike corp 
pimp.gif

jordan+drexler  
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom