If Rudy Gay becomes a superstar...

Why did I know that this was going to be about his last name as soon as I read the title?

It's been like 3 years now. Enough already.

you know what i realized?

nobody has clearly responded to the statement. almost everybody just threw their two cents in like the term superstar is getting out of hand. yao is not asuperstar, be a little mature, and rudy will never be a superstar rather than answering the question: how will he be marketed?

if anything, usually superstars receive nicknames like shaquille = shaq, kevin garnett = kg, carmelo = melo. as for rudy, people are going to probably call himRG or something. something catchy has yet to be found. the question is going to be hard to answer because his name is going to always come across andthere's always going to be immature people or people always questioning his name. honestly, of most people whom still frequently wear jerseys, are theyhonestly going to wear rudy's jersey? probably not. there would probably be more warrick jerseys sold than gay jerseys coming off the shelves.

Im sure his jersey is already on sale in the Memphis area. Just because it aint widely produced doesn't mean it aint being made. Hell in NYC i've seena few Malik Rose and Jerome James jerseys floating around. People will buy it and if he becomes a big star the gay community will buy it in droves. Trust me.

The outlook on Rudy Gay.

The Good = Rashard Lewis

The Bad = Rashard Lewis

They're the same because Rashard Lewis is both a good and a bad player. Gay will get more exposure on another team. Memphis is such a small market it'sdifficult for them to get people in Nashville interested in the organization. Kentucky and Tennessee are CBB country.

If he becomes that big of a star, people will recognize hi sname easily from what they hear of him on the basketbal court. The name won't become that bigof a deal. I honestly don't think its a big deal now, but some people think its funny
eyes.gif

Dude is averaging 18.7 pts/ reb/5.6 reb/1.7 ast a game. The guy has game. Definite all star potential. To whomever said he is Rashard Lewis part 2, thats agreat comparison -- I think Rashard has a better shot but in the long run I think Rudy can be better defensively and more so all around....

6pek1n8.jpg

Since his days at Uconn you could see his star potential, and he's getting there....

the name doesn't mean a damn thing.

I think Rudy can be better defensively

One thing that can really help Rudy's game, ditch the three point shot. Take it to the rim. Post up. Take higher percentage shots. Chances are you canrebound your own miss and/or create more opportunities to get to the free throw line.

The one major thing that has dogged Rashard Lewis is that he puts up so many jumpers that he must have players to rebound them. He's got that now inOrlando.

What also will hurt Gay is the fact that this Memphis squad, as currently constructed, isn't really stopping anyone. Giving up almost 106 a night means youhave to play awesome offensively to win. You can create wins moreso by emphasizing team defense.

^he couldn't beat Will Thomas to save his life when he was at Spalding...or UCONN

Its good to see he is starting to take off in the league. Yet another Baltimore product in the league...Donte Greene you on deck

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/03/04/SPG3LBKG2P1.DTL

re: Randall Gay - Patriots...

Spurred by a case of "Gay" pride, Leigh Clemons tried to order a New England Patriots jersey on her computer last month. Clemons, an assistant professor in Louisiana State University's theater department, watched one of her former pupils, Patriots defensive back Randall Gay, play a key role in New England's 24-21 win against Philadelphia in Super Bowl XXXIX and wanted to show her support for the former LSU standout.

But the NFL intercepted her attempts to buy a jersey personalized with Gay's name on the back from NFLshop.com, the league's official online merchandise center.

When Clemons tried to enter the last name of the Patriots cornerback, her request was rejected. The Web site accompanied the rejection with a message that read, "This field should not contain a naughty word."

"I was like, 'You've got to be kidding me,' " Clemons said. "When the message came up, I just sat and stared at it for 30 seconds with my mouth open. I know there are issues with homophobia in the NFL, but it never occurred to me the thing would come to this."

Eventually, Clemons received her jersey. But it took phone conversations with three different NFLshop.com representatives before her request was granted.

Dan Masonson, NFL corporate communications manager, said the NFL was recently made aware of the issue and is working to rectify the problem. He said the league does not consider the name "Gay" objectionable and pointed out that former NFL players William Gay and Ben Gay had personalized jerseys for sale.

"It's being corrected," Masonson said. "The jersey will be available shortly."

As of Thursday afternoon, personalized jerseys with the name "Gay" could not be transacted. The wording on the rejection has been changed, however, and said, "The personalization entered cannot be accepted."

Tell those 2000000 million people in China Yao isnt a super star, maybe not here he isnt, but he is in China.

The outlook on Rudy Gay.

The Good = Rashard Lewis

The Bad = Rashard Lewis
I agree with this to an extent.

But I do think, from what i've watched with Rudy, and this is not to take anything away from 'Shard, is that he is more athletic and explosive thanRashard.

I do think Rudy has more potential defensively than 'Shard.
Shard has a better perimeter game than Rudy though although it's just Rudy's 2nd year and i think he'll develop a more consistent perimeter game tocomplement his athleticism as he gets older and gets more experience.

I couldn't buy a Rudy Gay jersey no matter how good he gets... cause there's cats that always have some ignorant *%*@ to say.
smh.gif

Why is his name even an issue? It's amazing how this board can be so quick to play the race card, yet a lot of those same people throw around homophobiccomments in reaction to things that aren't even in the slightest way homosexual.

whats surprising is all of the people in here saying 'grow up' or 'its not a big deal' when ive basically never seen anyone on this board writeanything that sounds even remotely homosexual without writing 'noHomo' or 'pause'

homophobes are pathetic people.

i would have no problems purchasing his jersey if he was one of my favourite players.

he's the only player on the grizzlies that the nba.com store doesnt offer as a custom jersey.

everybody else on the team is listed

its his name jeez. im sure he has heard enough growing up
now this
i think people are mature abotu this stuff nowadays
he was born with it what can he do

Originally Posted by CarlMonday

he's the only player on the grizzlies that the nba.com store doesnt offer as a custom jersey.

everybody else on the team is listed

True: Rudy Gay is not available in the personalized customized jersey list.

However, look at the other names you can choose for the Grizz. Eddie Jones, Dahntay Jones, Shane Battier? This list hasn't been updated in a fewyears.

Cant hate on all star potential and his athletic ability, dam he might even be a long shot all star this year he is out playing gasol and miller

Back
Top Bottom