If the decision was up to you to take your parent off the machine would you??

My dad has ALS and is in the final stages. He cant move or do anything and is on a ventilator machine. My stepmom (who takes care of him the most) doesntwant to take him off the vent (which would cause him to pass on), but I feel it would be best because he has to be suffering and there is no way this diseaseis going to reverse.

Would you be able to do this w/o the blessing of the only other person that has been through this journey with you? One of the doctors called me today toask what I felt because they know my stepmom is against it, but I have the power of attorney (the person who makes decisions).

im screwed no matter what I do.

Euthanasia = WAY too serious for NT.

If I knew my Mom or Dad were suffering I still couldn't do it. I have never been in the situation though.

I would say talk to your doctor about the chances of him recovering, see atleast two separate doctors, at two separate hospitals. Be strong bro, if it has tobe done, you have to do it.

Even if it was the best and right thing to do, I still wouldnt be able to do it. My prayers go out to your family man.
tired.gif

Yes. I'm being honest with this cause If I was ever in a situation where I couldnt move, hold my bowels, just move my eyes and was on this earth because ofa Machine with No chance of recovery I would want my family to do the same. My grandmother gave me, my mother and uncle a talk if anything happened like that ,its whats she wants. I dont see the point in living if thats how you have to live and I hope who I may do that too forgives and understands. If he's beenlike that for a long time I think he would want you too.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Euthanasia = WAY too serious for NT.

If I knew my Mom or Dad were suffering I still couldn't do it. I have never been in the situation though.

I would say talk to your doctor about the chances of him recovering, see atleast two separate doctors, at two separate hospitals. Be strong bro, if it has to be done, you have to do it.
yea I know this a little too serious for NT....but I remember someone being in a similar situation on here a few years ago.

My main problem is my stepmom though. I know she isnt ready for it, but I am. I just dont know if doing this w/o her blessing is the right thing.
Every doctor (weve been to several hospitals) agrees w/ me btw.

Spoiler [+]
uuuu so this is how you use spoilers
laugh.gif
sorry op just trying something out
wink.gif

I'd do it because i know my pops wouldn't want to spend his days like that as active as he was especially if he was suffering it would be hard but iwould have to let him go

Prayers go out to you fam. The choice is hard. But I think you should let him pass if he is suffering that much. You wouldn't want your pops to sufferwould you? Good luck fam.

Yes. I've had this talk with my mom and we both agreed if there is no hope to pull the plug on either of us. It was sad to talk about but at least I knowwhat she wants so it would make the decision easier. I don't know what my dad wants. I should ask him though.

Damn, I have no answer for this because I wouldn't know what to do. I'm sitting here thinking about it, and I don't think I can pull the plugunless they said my pops was brain dead. But he must be in so much pain.
Your family is in my thoughts brother.

Originally Posted by FromThaTown

Damn, I have no answer for this because I wouldn't know what to do. I'm sitting here thinking about it, and I don't think I can pull the plug unless they said my pops was brain dead. But he must be in so much pain.
Your family is in my thoughts brother.

Have to, it's what my dad has said he wants and I believe same is for my mom.

Although I wouldn't want to. I will not let them suffer if there is no hope and they have to live through machines.

w/out knowing what they want I really don't know. It's a hard battle but if they are suffering with no hope of recovery I believe I would.
frown.gif

I would never do it. The whole "s/he is suffering" subscription is an excuse imo simply because YOU can never know, outright, whether pain is beingfelt by the individual hooked up. The only thing you can comment on is the pain and distress you feel watching a loved one in what is essentially, an unnaturalstate.

Still, the point remains that you don't know whether your loved one is in pain of not. Giving the go-ahead to "unplug" them is merely the way foryou to cope with the pain of having to watch them. That's just my opinion on the matter.

I would never "unplug" my loved one were a situation like that to ever, unfortunately, arise. If they are in an indolent state, with no observableand recognizable signs of pain, I would never "unplug" them...

I personally wouldn't do it. You never know what could happen (he miracolously heals) or something. Seriously.

Prayers to you and your fam though.

Yo, I don't know it's a hard decision. I feel that I wouldn't want my loved one to suffer and "degrade" themselves and what not. Iwouldn't want the last memories of them to be their weakness (i.e. not bein able to hold bowels, etc)

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I myself would hold on until there was nothing left. Its tough knowing someone is going to pass and steady trying tokeep them here.

When my cousin passed, her mother and brother made the decision to pull the plug. It was because her heart kept failing during the surgery and the doctor saidshe would not be herself, ie a vegetable. Although we all were holding on for our own reasons, it was in the best interest to go let her be with her child andGod.

I will pray for you and your decision. Maybe you should spend some time talking with the stepmother. You both love the man and need to come to an agreement ona decision.

God's Blessings to you and your family!

Being on an ethics committee myself and having an advisor who is on the President's Council for Bioethics, I take these matters very seriously. Ultimately,it comes down to your views and what you know about your father's wishes. That being said, personally, if it were my mother or father with ALS at thismoment, I would let them pass. It's not something that is at all going to be cured in any time to do him any good. Ultimately, we can only hope they passpeacefully and in this situation, I wouldn't want either of my parents being subjected to unnecessary pain. My condolences and prayers go out to you.It's a situation none of us want to be in and I hope you have something in your life you can hold fast and strong to. Medically though, nothing can be donefor him so it comes down to how you view the situation and if you see prolonging it as allowing him to suffer more or not. Best wishes though.

Originally Posted by chokeonsmoke

Spoiler [+]
uuuu so this is how you use spoilers
laugh.gif
sorry op just trying something out
wink.gif

how do you do a spoiler
nerd.gif

usually this topic is something that comes up once or twice in discussion ... if I was in this situation with my moms I prolly would pull the plug aftereveryone has gotten their chance to say goodbye because this is what she would have wanted .. don't know about my dad 'cause I've never discussedthis with him .. since we were never really that close so I doubt if this was a situation with him I would be making that final decision .. I've also letit be known that if I was to fall in a similar situation for someone to pull the plug on me .. Hopefully I never do find myself in that place and if I do thatmy wishes are honored

I Would Pray About It And Put It In God's Hands

Which More Than Likely Would Be Taking Them Off The Machine

If My Lord Should Call Them Home I Would Be Out Of Line By Stalling Them From Going

I wouldnt do it, there is always a chance something miraculous can happen. Unless the person said if that ever happens to them then you have to pull the plug.

Back
Top Bottom