If yesterday's NBA legends vs. today's NBA all-stars?

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

im not even gonna get into this, definitely gonna turn into a kobe/mj thread
I don't think I've seen a post from you in this forum that didn't include the word "Kobe" or one of his nicknames, in one contextor another. I'm not even being sarcastic, I'm serious.

While I agree the Dream is the greatest, Shaq in his prime could not be stopped.
The centers he was facing in the early 00s were mere peanuts compared to Hakeem's competition on the 5 in the late 80s/early 90s.

And yeah, noone could stop Shaq (except the free-throw line), but there's more to basketball than offense. Hakeem is arguably the best defensive player ofall time, while having one of the most polished offensive games of all centers in NBA history. He is one of the few players in league history who was truly thebest offensive and defensive player in the league at one time. Take it from the man himself (MJ):

"But if I had to pick a center, I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people.And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, notjust his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. Forall facets of the game, I have to give it to him."

But technically, you pit Hakeem vs. Shaq....hack a shaq rings true to me....everyone has a krypotnite.
I don't believe Hakeem really had a weakness...but Shaq in his prime would kill him, as great as Hakeem was defensively. Physically, Shaq wasjust ridiculous, refs had to change their style of foul calling because of how powerful he was.

In terms of the original topic, I truly believe prime past vs prime present favors the present. Players nowadays move faster and stronger. The only problem isthey're almost always softer (guys like AI make a blanket statement untrue). With (debatable) equal talent, but better training-related technology andphysical gifts, this would have to favor the present.

Originally Posted by ikari XD

but Shaq in his prime would kill him,

"Kill him".
laugh.gif
Ooh, I'm sure the imaginary HakeemOlajuwon is really scared of this imaginary scenario. Shaq's weak competition at the center position in the early 00s has got you trippin, like manyothers, I see..

A league-leading in scoring Shaq met Hakeem in the 95 finals with a supporting cast that was at least as good as Hakeem's on paper (remember, it was PennyHardaway who made the all-NBA 1st team that year, not Clyde Drexler). Individually, Shaq had great numbers in the series and he wasn't as owned as DavidRobinson earlier that playoffs, but he still got swept.

What really annoys me is how some people want to portray Shaq as this kid who was still learing to play basketball when he faced Hakeem in 95. They alwaysmention "prime Shaq", I assume the Lakers three-peat years. But Shaq friggin LED the league in scoring in 1995 (and was #2 in scoring the previousyear). Also, Shaq in 95 was more athletic and more active on the defensive end than he was with the Lakers. Athletically, Shaq was never quite the same afterhis injury in the 95-96 season. He missed 20-30 games per year his first two years with the Lakers, and by the time the three-peat started, all the greatcenters from the 90s were washed up and he had the league to himself.

If we are talking about active players when in their respective primes (injury free too!
ohwell.gif
) against former NBA legends in theirs then it's a tough call,

New School

Starting Five

PG: Jason Kidd
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Kevin Garnett
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Shaq O'Neal

Bench
Steve Nash
Allen Iverson
D Whistle
Lebron James
T Mac
Dirk
Amare
Dwight Howard

Old School

Starting Five

PG: Magic
SG: MJ
SF: Bird
PF: Hakeem
C: Wilt

Bench

Stockton
Oscar
Logo
Barkley
Malone
Russell
Kareem

Actually, it just took me 2 minutes to list the new school squad and about half an hour to list the old school! The bench on the old school is insane, based onthe criteria there are so many ommisions (Pippen, Penny and Alonzo are just three that sprung to mind whilst selecting).

The new school would hold up over one game, but a seven game series...forget about it.

It depends on what area. If we are talking about late 80's to 90's then they would win against now. If we are talking earlier then todays all-starswould win.

They are so much more athletic and PLAY defense.

Originally Posted by Air Rob21

Actually, it just took me 2 minutes to list the new school squad and about half an hour to list the old school!

Of course because you have SUCH a larger time frame for the old school
roll.gif

Originally Posted by SCuse7

It depends on what area. If we are talking about late 80's to 90's then they would win against now. If we are talking earlier then todays all-stars would win.

They are so much more athletic and PLAY defense.

alien.gif

I know, I know, 40 year plus VS the last 16 tops. A greater pool to choose from and all that BUT a one-off game would be close thus thus showing what talentthe current NBA has.

Back
Top Bottom