If you are the Chargers, do you trade LT this offseason?

First of all let me state that I think LT is a great back, and respect all of the accomplishments he has while playing with the bolts.

That being said, it's pretty obvious to me after watching him the past 5 weeks that he just is not the same player that he was 2 years ago, even last year. He has no explosiveness and avoids contact at all costs. Darren Sproles on the other hand looks like he is being shot out of a cannon every time he totes,and has proved that his explosiveness and game breaking abilities are only matched by a few in the L.

This brings us to the question, if you are SD, do you take trade offers for LT this offseason? They could probably get a first rounder and a either a coupleother draft picks/a pro bowl caliber defensive player for him (not a superstar). SD is already a very talented team so I don't know if draft picks are asvaluable to them as other franchises, but I would think they would have to at least entertain this offer seeing as how they've won the past 3 games becauseof big plays Sproles has made. The only real question with Sproles would be his durability... if only they had a back like Michael Turner. What are your thoughts?

Originally Posted by outkast9984

im sure his injuries had something to do with it.... no way they trade him...

Well the injuries come with age, he is turning 30 this June, the dreaded age for NFL RB's. I do NOT see him getting more durable/less injury prone fromthis point forward.

whmbe1.gif

If you can get VALUE for a 30 year old running back with a million miles and never shows up in the playoffs, then yes, you trade him.

Value being picks that = 22 year olds that will be around for a decade while LT has two or 3 Emmit Smith Arizona like years left.

Originally Posted by CP1708

If you can get VALUE for a 30 year old running back with a million miles and never shows up in the playoffs, then yes, you trade him.

Value being picks that = 22 year olds that will be around for a decade while LT has two or 3 Emmit Smith Arizona like years left.
Ya, that is exactly how I am thinking if I am AJ Smith this offseason. You need to deal while this guy still has some value left in him.

dam u comparing a 29 yr old LT to a 34 year old emmit smith?

Originally Posted by BlackMamba08

dam u comparing a 29 30 yr old LT to a 34 33 year old emmit smith?

Your post is full of holes, like your avitar.

AJ will address the FB position and send Mike Goff packing.

McNeil has had a subpar season again at LT.

Originally Posted by SupraTurbo619

Your post is full of holes, like your avitar.

AJ will address the FB position and send Mike Goff packing.

McNeil has had a subpar season again at LT.
You think the FB is the problem? I could see that because Lorenzo was let go, but I still think most of it has to do with LT's age/decliningability. Break down McNeil for me, has he been underperforming for a while now?

My belief (and one that many Charger fans share) is that the O-line this year has been coached as a max pass protect line.

McNeil made the 2007 Pro Bowl as a rookie by run blocking the left side of the line for LT, the last two years he has been eating Carne Asada Burritos all daywhile letting his man demolish LT in the backfield.

Lorenzo made LT that much better, considering LT was at 75% speed that extra hole that LONEAL makes on a constant basis would have been much needed.

I would say yes if they can get some decent picks for him. The Chargers have to start looking into the future and sure LT still has some good years left butSproles is nice and could easily start for them. He is a faster LT/Brian Westbrook and stays healthy. If he can bulk up a little so he can take some hits theywill be good. Especially since it looks like the Chargers are moving to more pass heavy play calling.

Im not saying LT isnt nice because he is and will help another team if they do trade him but Sproles is definitely a respectable replacement. I dont know whenLT's contract is up I would maybe trade him closer to that because you will be able to raise your asking price a little because of his money coming off hisnew teams books but it deifinitly isnt a clear cut NO. I mean when is the last time he played a full playoff game healthy?

I think you give him one more year to see if he can rebound. In the meantime you draft a RB in the later rounds, because if you do trade LT there is no waySproles will last as an every down back.

So Sproles should take this job.

Ed Reed deserved DPOY and got robbed

Phillip Rivers should have been MVP

What else do people wana throw out there after 1 game?

Are some of yal stupid??

Trade LT??? You don't know football if you really think trading LT is done...
The play calling is so predictable there.. Maybe the Chargers should fire Norv Turner.

LT got another couple of great years left in him. Yeah he's injured, but I mean everyone does, but he still got it.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

So Sproles should take this job.

Ed Reed deserved DPOY and got robbed

Phillip Rivers should have been MVP

What else do people wana throw out there after 1 game?
It's defineitly not a one game thing. If you have watched the Chargers this year (particularly the last 5-6 games) you would clearly see thatLT is not the same player.

Originally Posted by iM COOL C

Are some of yal stupid??

Trade LT??? You don't know football if you really think trading LT is done...
The play calling is so predictable there.. Maybe the Chargers should fire Norv Turner.

LT got another couple of great years left in him. Yeah he's injured, but I mean everyone does, but he still got it.
Hmm.. after playing football for 15 of the 22 years I have been alive (pop warner, hs, college ball) I must not know football. Thank you.

Originally Posted by jville819

Hell no
If the Chargers trade LT. I will renounce being a Charger fan completely and curse that organization straight to hell. Quote me on that.

No loyalty whatsoever. They did it to Seau. They did it to Harrison. They did it to Brees. Now if they do it to LT, then !@#$ theChargers.

I havent watch alot Chargers games this year. But you have to look at how much bonus money is left on LT's contract. I think he's signed thru 2011.Theremaining bonus money accelrates to the cap if you trade him.Also I dont think the Chargers can get a 1st rounder for him. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder from ateam like Arizona.

You have to remember Sporles is a free agent so his price is going to be inflated for a guy who is defintely a 2 back rotating type of back.

I think if you have doubts about LT. You need to draft the 2 rbs this year and then let Sporles walk and give LT one more year. I'm not sure if he is doneyet.

Back
Top Bottom