Immediate gratification

Basically every time my younger sister gets a 4.0 we buy her something. As a kid, my brother and I didnt have that luxury. But now my pops made it a tradition of celebrating one's achievements. And I find myself buying stuff for my sister when she does well.So what do you guys think? my parents were originally off that " your supposed to get good grades" thing, which just tells me that they didn't have the money to do it back in the day.

Basically every time my younger sister gets a 4.0 we buy her something. As a kid, my brother and I didnt have that luxury. But now my pops made it a tradition of celebrating one's achievements. And I find myself buying stuff for my sister when she does well.So what do you guys think? my parents were originally off that " your supposed to get good grades" thing, which just tells me that they didn't have the money to do it back in the day.

Nothing wrong with celebrating achievements....if you got the means to do so, go for it.

Plus, people do this in different capacities....some buy gifts, some cook favorite meals, etc....

Nothing wrong with celebrating achievements....if you got the means to do so, go for it.

Plus, people do this in different capacities....some buy gifts, some cook favorite meals, etc....

Not sure how that qualifies as immediate. IIRC, Bourdieu made a distinction between elites and common folk by their capacity to defer gratification.

Not sure how that qualifies as immediate. IIRC, Bourdieu made a distinction between elites and common folk by their capacity to defer gratification.

Back
Top Bottom