In your opinion, is Food & Liquor a classic album?

what defines a classic album tho?

cuz when i tell people that 50 cent's "the massacre" or lil wayne's "tha carter 3" are classics they insist on flaming me

food & liquor is a good album..... until i know what a classic really means, i'll leave it as that

classics have lasting impressions on the genre. the massacre and carter 3 do not. i dont think food & liquor is classic, but ive come to appreciate it as an extremely good display of rap music. honestly, the music on F&L is classic level material. but to me, a classic has to impact the culture, and F&L just got overlooked too much to be considered a classic

Last edited:
classics have lasting impressions on the genre. the massacre and carter 3 do not. i dont think food & liquor is classic, but ive come to appreciate it as an extremely good display of rap music. honestly, the music on F&L is classic level material. but to me, a classic has to impact the culture, and F&L just got overlooked too much to be considered a classic

I agree with this to the extent that most won't judge it a classic but I feel like your definition is contradictory. If FNL is extremely good, then it would qualify to be a classic under a dictionary definition, especially since its been 6 years and still one of the best rap albums in that time period.

And if we are talking last impact on the game, I'd say it was one of the first "backpack rap" albums to get some buzz.

Food and Liquor is timeless bruh, classic it is.

I'd say yes. I'm not going to get all technical about it.

C3 and The Massacre aren't even close.

Last edited:
Food & Liquor is a unquestionable hip hop classic.

If I had to pick one classic album from 2000-2010 to represent the decade F&L would be up there for consideration with a small, small, handful of others.

edit:

I also don't see how anyone could say Food & Liquor didn't have a lasting impression on hip hop culture (or as much of a lasting impression as it could possibly leave over six years).

Last edited:
Don't really see anything funny about that. It's a mainstream classic.

A classic album is a flawless album. Because that album sold 3-4 million doesn't make it a classic. That album is easily, one of the worst albums I've ever heard. No direction, lyrics were all over the place. I didn't hear Rebirth or Tha Carter IV but out of the rest of his music, that was his worst.

I'm not the biggest Lupe fan, and at first I was passive about F&L. But over the years I feel as though it's a great album. I wouldn't say classic, but it's not terrible by any means at all.

I would say yes. Theres plenty of timeless joints on there that will resonate with peoples personal lives now and forever. Stuff that people from all kinds of walks of life deal with everyday......... But The Cool is still better.

A classic album is a flawless album. Because that album sold 3-4 million doesn't make it a classic. That album is easily, one of the worst albums I've ever heard. No direction, lyrics were all over the place. I didn't hear Rebirth or Tha Carter IV but out of the rest of his music, that was his worst.

I don't agree with the highlighted but your underlying point I'm with.

People need stop latching the term classic onto other descriptives and changing the meaning of the word.

Oh you meant CIII went 3x Platinum? Yea we all knew that.

Very good album but I'd say no. I'm more inclined to say The Cool is a classic tbh. That **** was just straight hip-hop

Yes... Great lyricism & story telling, good production, & good features. Flawless album straight through, imo.

If I had to pick one classic album from 2000-2010 to represent the decade F&L would be up there for consideration with a small, small, handful of others.
edit:
I also don't see how anyone could say Food & Liquor didn't have a lasting impression on hip hop culture (or as much of a lasting impression as it could possibly leave over six years).

:smokin

Exactly how I feel. What are your others?

IMO F&L > The Cool by a smidgen.

Last edited:
In the 90's and earlier a classic album meant a perfect album. Similar to a no hitter in baseball or 50 pt triple double in basketball. Now in the 2000's due to the bar being lowered to basement class expectations; it means that the album was generally well received. Either way nah F&L is not a classic.

sidebar: why do people feel like their must be a "classic" album every generation? Sometimes music just aint hitting. Right now is one of those times.

edit:
how can you say it had a lasting impression when lupe doesn't even make music in that style anymore himself?

Food & Liquor is great but I don't know if I'm ready to call it a classic. Definitely a 4.5/5 but I could do without 2-3 songs though.

F&L will always be his only album worth listening to.

I will never forgive him for talking over the outro beat, also I gotcha is terrible.

Nah! I can't agree with that, not at all. :lol: That was one of my favorite songs on the album. I remember i found this album in the trash at the end of my freshman year of college (2008). :smokin

Back
Top Bottom