incarceration and social inequality

i guess this is taking a little bit from that hood mentality thread..... over the years prisons and jails have produced a group of social outcasts who are joined by the shared experience of incarceration, crime, poverty, racial minority and low education. since the 70s young men have been faced with this becoming a normal life event. go to jail, come out, have kids, kids end up doing the same thing...now as far as the children that grow up seeing this, for example these chicago kids or florida kids, that glorify the lifestyle were they 'bout that life'.... do you guys think its a choice to become part of 'the problem'.. or are you just destined to fall into the same cycle because thats just the circumstances you were raised in?

i hope there are just as many people who see the issue with that lifestyle and go against the curve and try to do something better with there lives.

i think its a choice.. off personal experience, we dont have to carry over our peoples problems.. we use them as an excuse for our actions.. as kids we are real impressionable and always trying to fit in. the older you get, if you realize you are your own person, you grow out of certain bad habits... some people never choose to see what other options there are

that war on drugs theory is deep.. almost another form to discriminate minorities. how they dont need our labor to keep the economy moving is something i never saw.. 'ware housed in prisons' lol.. good book

For the most part everyone has a choice, prior to doing something that lands you in jail, you have a slight inclination that hey this could possible get me in trouble.Yet people still go out and do certain things. 

I live in an area where probably 70%+ of dudes around me have gone to jail at least once. I for one do not put myself in the situation. Sometimes the problem does find you, but if you are smart about things you can avoid it all to be honest.

i guess this is taking a little bit from that hood mentality thread..... over the years prisons and jails have produced a group of social outcasts who are joined by the shared experience of incarceration, crime, poverty, racial minority and low education. since the 70s young men have been faced with this becoming a normal life event. go to jail, come out, have kids, kids end up doing the same thing...now as far as the children that grow up seeing this, for example these chicago kids or florida kids, that glglorify the lifestyleorify the lifestyle were they 'bout that life'.... do you guys think its a choice to become part of 'the problem'.. or are you just destined to fall into the same cycle because thats just the circumstances you were raised in?

I think the glorification of that gang banging lifestyle is what dupes the young into thinking it is the ideal lifestyle. I believe it's a combination of both though, the willingness to become a part of that lifestyle as it is what is glorified by rap artists and local D-boys. It also has to do with misdirection and misrepresentation. It is evident that an urban kid that comes from an unstable home will fall into this life, or one that doesn't have real role models to look up to or guidance and support from parents and family. Once you fall into the system, it starts to become a vicious cycle. In and out of jail, due to continued illicit activities due to the inability to hold or find a good job for support. The issue is much more complex than this, but it is a universal one that doesn't seem to have a conclusion as of yet.

I think the glorification of that gang banging lifestyle is what dupes the young into thinking it is the ideal lifestyle. I believe it's a combination of both though, the willingness to become a part of that lifestyle as it is what is glorified by rap artists and local D-boys. It also has to do with misdirection and misrepresentation. It is evident that an urban kid that comes from an unstable home will fall into this life, or one that doesn't have real role models to look up to or guidance and support from parents and family. Once you fall into the system, it starts to become a vicious cycle. In and out of jail, due to continued illicit activities due to the inability to hold or find a good job for support. The issue is much more complex than this, but it is a universal one that doesn't seem to have a conclusion as of yet.
your right in the sense where its evident that a kid comin from an unstable home home falls into that lifestyle.. looking for role models when you got nothing to look up to at home has alot to do with the problem. but as far coming to a conclusion to that cycle i think that responsibilty falls on us or the older generation.. instead of backing up chief keef or some other young dumb*** like soulja boy.. we should speak against it. i mean you got old heads that got their life set, but still glorify the streets like its a theme park with rollercoasters. instead of telling kids to stay in school so they could optimize their decisions as far as where they go in life, they say smoke weed, sell drugs and run after some girl.. if i tell my dog sit he gonna listen, cause thats all he knows. kids are like puppets, easy to trust anyone. we could make a change nd stop going through the same cycle.. everyone got their choices but dam i hate seeing older dudes leading young ones down the wrong path.. killing their choices for their own reasons

For the most part everyone has a choice, prior to doing something that lands you in jail, you have a slight inclination that hey this could possible get me in trouble.Yet people still go out and do certain things. 

Yet we live in a system where money is king and the only ostensible path for these folks is through these "illegal activities" which are constantly glorified. How are we gonna have one side saying, don't sell drugs, its wrong, don't gangbang etc. Then on the flip-side, your entire community is wallowing in the drug game, which are illegal for some reason, there are no economic opportunities, no jobs and on top of that, and all of your "cool" movies and music, to which kids relate to more than the govt or parents, glorify dat life. Then we are surprised when kids choose the latter. Why are people surprised?

Get the money out of drug enforcement and into social works projects and we'll head in the right direction..

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I try to steer the neighborhood kids down the right lane and all my lil homies when I have the chance but that only goes so far. When I make it, I do hope to give back to my city/neighborhood the best way I can. Talk to kids, steer them down the right lane like many did for me and my peers. I believe for a child to make it out of the urban hood, they need a number of things, role models/guidance, stability, education, and family support. However, external influences are just as influential for an urban kid and can tend to make or break them. In a sense, it is a battle of good and evil.

Back
Top Bottom