INDIE Music Thread

whew.
nthat.gif

My favorite song of 2015 so far.

Hey guys, I know it's late but I'm curious to see what some of your favorite albums of the year are. Personally, it was hard for me to pick 10 albums -- I moreso had a top 5, I spent most of the year listening to older tunes so I wasn't really all that caught up in the music scene of 2014. Nevertheless, here is my top 10 for 2014 (EPs included):

1. Alvvays - Alvvays

this band is cool but I guess me personally I would rather hear this kinda music when the weather's warm which it aint where I'm at.  But now I'm editing this cause this album came out last summer?  I didn't know I didn't hear it until November opps. I thought that Tennis had some cool songs on that album they released in September.  New Chromatics & Tame Impala, should be a good year

Last edited:

I guess this'll be the closest thing I'll get to a rock thread but love this band. Local around my parts too (Sacramento)

the cover art is better then a lot of the music here.... Not to say this thread doesn't have gems.. i enjoyed listening to what you guys are into. that Lana Del Rey and Days Before Rodeo have been in rotation since they dropped.. But it seems most albums in here are not indie.

^ My post before yours was my first post into this thread and only read what was on this page. I agree that some of the artists shouldn't be on here, I mean I love Lana to death but she already has her own thread on NT. Travis Scott does to. But I would say that in Travis' case it is the new shaping of rap as it is being accepted in mainstream. I would say Kanye is a strong front for this happening. Give it some decades ago these rappers with extravagant audio productions that blends electronic music with rhymes as hard as a tame DMX song would be given huge question marks. Travis is Indie? I guess... I would always think that Indie is those artists that are inbetween different genres so they're in the miscellaneous category... also weird for the sake of weird

If this guy came out a while ago I think it would've taken as a joke or Lil B kind of way. Your opinion on Lil B is yours but I'm trying to say that thanks to things being so weird and off the wall we KNOW that this guy is being serious and we take it that way. This kid is from Stockholm with the name Yung Lean, that name alone sounds like someone from the DMV but no one is giving him hate right off the back or treating him like a huge joke or wtf is he doing/is he for real? type of way. Weird is accepted now and nothing surprises us

ending my rant but it's all preferences now, no hating coming from me towards anyone out there

^ My post before yours was my first post into this thread and only read what was on this page. I agree that some of the artists shouldn't be on here, I mean I love Lana to death but she already has her own thread on NT. Travis Scott does to. But I would say that in Travis' case it is the new shaping of rap as it is being accepted in mainstream. I would say Kanye is a strong front for this happening. Give it some decades ago these rappers with extravagant audio productions that blends electronic music with rhymes as hard as a tame DMX song would be given huge question marks. Travis is Indie? I guess... I would always think that Indie is those artists that are inbetween different genres so they're in the miscellaneous category... also weird for the sake of weird

If this guy came out a while ago I think it would've taken as a joke or Lil B kind of way. Your opinion on Lil B is yours but I'm trying to say that thanks to things being so weird and off the wall we KNOW that this guy is being serious and we take it that way. This kid is from Stockholm with the name Yung Lean, that name alone sounds like someone from the DMV but no one is giving him hate right off the back or treating him like a huge joke or wtf is he doing/is he for real? type of way. Weird is accepted now and nothing surprises us

ending my rant but it's all preferences now, no hating coming from me towards anyone out there

It's troll rap. You only wouldn't take him seriously because of his name and image...and that's the point. It's showing you that none of that **** is really important. He and his crew are harmless...normal...somewhat awkward teens. They aren't pretending to be something that they aren't.

But yes...Lil B inspired this ENTIRE "cloud rap" subculture and people who fit outside of that spectrum as well. Even that Makonnen dude is a self admitted Lil B stan.

Last edited:
The term "indie" needs a definition every time it is used lol.... It just means soooo many things.... When I hear Indie.. Im thinking funding... Meaning all funding is independent and the creative control is all on the artist... Like Kendrick Lamar pre Over Dedicated.... The killers BSides..... Fall Out boy Grand Theft Autumn days.... Young lean and Lil b fall in this category also because they create and put the music out themselves or with small distribution deals... But i see that this thread is describing an indie sound??? I think it should more so be labeled alternative by the definition that is presented and by the caliber of records in this thread. 

The term "indie" needs a definition every time it is used lol.... It just means soooo many things.... When I hear Indie.. Im thinking funding... Meaning all funding is independent and the creative control is all on the artist... Like Kendrick Lamar pre Over Dedicated.... The killers BSides..... Fall Out boy Grand Theft Autumn days.... Young lean and Lil b fall in this category also because they create and put the music out themselves or with small distribution deals... But i see that this thread is describing an indie sound??? I think it should more so be labeled alternative by the definition that is presented and by the caliber of records in this thread. 
reason I had no expectations when I walked into this thread
laugh.gif

I agree with both what you guys said. repped

Looking forward to Purity Ring for sure. Not sure if they're considered Indie but I'm going to need The Districts new album come feb.

Heartsigh, Bodyache, Flood on the Floor?

Idk, album is incredible to me. It's up there w/ their first to me after multiple listens through.

Personally, I think it sounds a lot less somber and more upbeat than their first.

Some tracks actually sound to me like they could be Katy Perry songs. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's also not what I was hoping for.

new Waxahatchee album is amazing..

i'm loving the progression in their sound.

i listened to the new Purity Ring album once and it didn't really have an impact on me.

the new Toro Y moi album is soo good, i never get tired of hearing new music from that boy Chaz.

Haven't been keeping up with new music |I

Been on a weird bebop kick of late :lol:

Just discovered Jon Hopkins. Love the chill vibe.

Hai gaiz,

Anyone have songs that are similar to music from the drive soundtrack? (Nightcall, under your spell, real hero.)

I listen to a lot of deeper house, but need different stuff for a change of pace. I love modern electronic music with an 80s influence on it.

Hai gaiz,

Anyone have songs that are similar to music from the drive soundtrack? (Nightcall, under your spell, real hero.)

I listen to a lot of deeper house, but need different stuff for a change of pace. I love modern electronic music with an 80s influence on it.

Chromatics

Back
Top Bottom