Information Systems!!! NEED HELP!! (Resume, Intern, General Questions)

Wassup NT,

So I am a Senior Information Systems and Operations Management major at a State University . Honestly my GPA is not all that good because I had a couple slip ups and the Accounting n math classes were not my forte, but I do very well in all of my major classes. I am currently trying to find a part-time job, internship, or anything. In the NC area though.

I just need some insight from other NT members who  have jobs or have experience in the IT field. Where are some good companies to try to intern with? What Do I do with no experience? What should I be using on my Resume.

Preciate the help!

I've worked in IT for the govt for the last 8 years started on the desktop support team, moved to the network team, and I'm now currently doing application modifications and maintenance. I didn't go to school for any of what I mentioned above. Experience played a big part in me getting where I am today. I was a student assistant when I was desktop support, pretty much the first line of defense. You deal with a little bit of everything, from actual hardware to applications to databases (Front end). From there I just tried to soak up all the knowledge I could. My experience was good enough for me to land a full time position and I've been moving up steadily since. The department I work for is hurting for funding, so we tend to hire people with experience over degrees, as we don't have the time, funds, or resources to send people to training. I think you have the right mindset getting a intern position to gain some experience. Try to land a city, county, state job if possible as a student assistant or a entry level IT position while you finish school to gain experience.

Don't know what part of NC you are from, but here's a list of IT positions for the state of NC.
http://agency.governmentjobs.com/northcarolina/default.cfm?&promotionaljobs=0&transfer=0

I've worked in IT for the govt for the last 8 years started on the desktop support team, moved to the network team, and I'm now currently doing application modifications and maintenance. I didn't go to school for any of what I mentioned above. Experience played a big part in me getting where I am today. I was a student assistant when I was desktop support, pretty much the first line of defense. You deal with a little bit of everything, from actual hardware to applications to databases (Front end). From there I just tried to soak up all the knowledge I could. My experience was good enough for me to land a full time position and I've been moving up steadily since. The department I work for is hurting for funding, so we tend to hire people with experience over degrees, as we don't have the time, funds, or resources to send people to training. I think you have the right mindset getting a intern position to gain some experience. Try to land a city, county, state job if possible as a student assistant or a entry level IT position while you finish school to gain experience.

Don't know what part of NC you are from, but here's a list of IT positions for the state of NC.
http://agency.governmentjobs.com/northcarolina/default.cfm?&promotionaljobs=0&transfer=0
thanks alot man, I am currently studying for A+ certification. I know its going to be hard to get my foot in the door with experience. I will check on the website you shot me though

Internships, but this is your senior year?

Honestly, with no experience companies are really going to take your GPA into consideration. Since yours isn't the best thing, try putting any type of extracurricular activities that pertain to it.

Your best bet is doing interviews with companies that come to your campus, they may be more forgiving since they have a relationship with the school.

A lot of big name companies have some type of leadership development program and/or internship, whether it be in engineering, IT, finance, MArketing etc. I just did one last summer. Try to apply for one of those.

thanks alot man, I am currently studying for A+ certification. I know its going to be hard to get my foot in the door with experience. I will check on the website you shot me though

If you are studying for the A+ this link will be helpful: http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-701/professor-messers-free-220-70x-comptia-a-training-course/

I would try just about any big company as they usually have an IT Dept. I am an Information Systems major also finishing up my sophomore year. I haven't had any time for internships unfortunately. I work full time at Geico as a Claims Adjuster, but they have an IT department  I want to transfer to after I get my degree. They also have a program called the Emerging Leaders Program. You can apply if you have an IT degree and a 3.5 GPA at least. It is a 3 year program where they cycle you through all of the IT positions. Once you finish, you can post for a manager position, Pay is typically 70-80k. So not too bad. 

Back
Top Bottom