Information Technology (IT)

Just wanted to update the thread.

Got my sec+ yesterday, 765 which is passing.

Been in the team lead role for a little over a month and have realized I can do both of my direct reports jobs but it seems neither of them can do mine. Had to have a talk with them the other day to tell them to step it up since the CIO is starting to come down on my manager which is going to come down on me eventually.

Thinking about getting something remote at night to keep me outta the streets and focused on getting where I want to be. I’m sure with a TS and sec + I’ll have my pick of the litter on clearancejobs.com
Actually no it really isn't that easy to find a remote night job that will utilize a TS. I been looking for a while, unless money isn't a driving factor. TS will want you onsite. I would say just find a remote night job and let the day job utilize the TS.

Coworker was just telling me he picked up a weekend role, unfortunately security didn't know how to properly do their job. They tried to revoke his CAC, that then led to security alerting his manager. His manager called him like are you leaving us? He had a lot of explaining to do. Did anyone else notice jobs adding in during COVID you need to let them know if you are working a second job and ask permission. Guys messed it up for everyone.

Actually no it really isn't that easy to find a remote night job that will utilize a TS. I been looking for a while, unless money isn't a driving factor. TS will want you onsite. I would say just find a remote night job and let the day job utilize the TS.

Coworker was just telling me he picked up a weekend role, unfortunately security didn't know how to properly do their job. They tried to revoke his CAC, that then led to security alerting his manager. His manager called him like are you leaving us? He had a lot of explaining to do. Did anyone else notice jobs adding in during COVID you need to let them know if you are working a second job and ask permission. Guys messed it up for everyone.
I meant just a second job like help desk at night, doesn’t need to utilize the clearance at all since my day job will still maintain it.

Regarding the second part, I seen a job include this in the job description that I got sent yesterday.
CE21E5A3-36D6-477D-BB22-E85F316E2629.jpeg

Just wanted to update the thread.

Got my sec+ yesterday, 765 which is passing.

Been in the team lead role for a little over a month and have realized I can do both of my direct reports jobs but it seems neither of them can do mine. Had to have a talk with them the other day to tell them to step it up since the CIO is starting to come down on my manager which is going to come down on me eventually.

Thinking about getting something remote at night to keep me outta the streets and focused on getting where I want to be. I’m sure with a TS and sec + I’ll have my pick of the litter on clearancejobs.com

Exactly why I wanted out of the helpdesk manager role I was in. Cats struggled to get the easiest of things done, ie add the From field to someone Outlook client, and found myself repeating myself way too much and babysitting grown men. I'm all about helping people grow, but they gotta want better for themselves first.

Exactly why I wanted out of the helpdesk manager role I was in. Cats struggled to get the easiest of things done, ie add the From field to someone Outlook client, and found myself repeating myself way too much and babysitting grown men. I'm all about helping people grow, but they gotta want better for themselves first.
Bruh! I started at helpdesk myself so I normally have more patience with those guys but I see why some people don’t make it out. I can go in for something routine and it takes way longer than necessary.

I meant just a second job like help desk at night, doesn’t need to utilize the clearance at all since my day job will still maintain it.

Regarding the second part, I seen a job include this in the job description that I got sent yesterday.
CE21E5A3-36D6-477D-BB22-E85F316E2629.jpeg
Regarding the second part, I wonder what legal standing a company has to try and stop someone from working two jobs. When you aren't at work it is your time, you aren't harming anyone or selling secrets. Here in VA it is a at will employment state so they can let you go for that and say it is because of something else.
Task them to create an SOP and learn how to do it. It takes a special type of person to be a helpdesk manager, more teacher than IT professional. You are getting guys who just stumbled through A+ now going out and doing gods work. Have to direct them early, and remind them hey you figured something out make an SOP for it. Get them a $5 Starbucks gift card to show it is valued, once and a while.

Regarding the second part, I wonder what legal standing a company has to try and stop someone from working two jobs. When you aren't at work it is your time, you aren't harming anyone or selling secrets. Here in VA it is a at will employment state so they can let you go for that and say it is because of something else.

Task them to create an SOP and learn how to do it. It takes a special type of person to be a helpdesk manager, more teacher than IT professional. You are getting guys who just stumbled through A+ now going out and doing gods work. Have to direct them early, and remind them hey you figured something out make an SOP for it. Get them a $5 Starbucks gift card to show it is valued, once and a while.

Very good point. I've moved over to System Admin now and they have another guy in the IT manager position. Some of same madness still going on, but he says things are going great though.

My boss baffles me

He's generally very stern and loud but earlier today I was telling a story about a system admin friend of mine who works at a hospital. Yesterday he was told to print out the entire medical file database when their network randomly went offline. 2300 pages.
...The network got restored about 2 hours later.

We were all joking around about the idea of a paper backup during lunch but this dude actually decided to go ahead and just do it.
Even worse, he accidentally sent the request to a printer at our ex parent company's office in Brussels. Our former parent company fully sold our parent company in December but our Brussels branch still shares the same office.

He probably double dipped on roles that use the same clearance so when he took the 2nd job. I had 2 jobs overlapping and using the same clearance but it was only like 2 weeks so I dont know if maybe the first job had released it early or the 2nd hadnt claimed it yet but there was not an issue

Having 2 contractors cacs idk the edipi would be the same so you’d just have one, i have seen a guy work 2 ctr jobs at disa at the same time but he had permission and they were on adjacent contracts

To me if you are working remote and getting both jobs done, i dont see the issue. If you are on site and bringing job #2’s equipment to space and electricity job #1 pays for, I can see the issue there but still if you can pull it off, shiyett

My boss baffles me

He's generally very stern and loud but earlier today I was telling a story about a system admin friend of mine who works at a hospital. Yesterday he was told to print out the entire medical file database when their network randomly went offline. 2300 pages.

We were all joking around about the idea of a paper backup during lunch but this dude actually decided to go ahead and just do it.
Even worse, he accidentally sent the request to a printer at our ex parent company's office in Brussels. Our former parent company fully sold our parent company in December but our Brussels branch still shares the same office.
Paper backup?!?! What in the actual eff... Have they not heard of failover or other DR solutions??? It's truly baffling what some people think is a good idea especially some leadership that have MBA's, Doctorate's and other high level degrees.

Paper backup?!?! What in the actual eff... Have they not heard of failover or other DR solutions??? It's truly baffling what some people think is a good idea especially some leadership that have MBA's, Doctorate's and other high level degrees.
My boss did it as a 'joke' but the people at the hospital my friend works at definitely didn't :lol:
In my friend's case, he was told to print out the entirety of all medical files almost immediately after their network somehow went down, because "there'd be chaos" otherwise
They all ended up in the shredder just a couple hours later

Lol I had a client where they were shutting down one of their offices and then setting up a satellite office with no network service and wanted their people to come in on a rotational base and use hotspots with limited connectivity and expected their staff to be able to perform. Straight madness. They're degree "smart", but the common sense is non existent.

setting up a satellite office with no network service and wanted their people to come in on a rotational base and use hotspots with limited connectivity and expected their staff to be able to perform. Straight madness. They're degree "smart", but the common sense is non existent.
That sounds like a recipe for disaster lol and smh. As someone who works a kind of hybrid sys admin/service desk role it surprises me what some folks in leadership think will work to save a little $$.

Man o man. They should have either a digital copy saved on an offline device like a tablet or have sent it to a printer for in case of emergency.

I don’t even understand why’d you print out a medical database. And like everyone said…

Use a cloud provider G Cloud, Azure Blob, AWS S3, or Alibaba Intellectual property cautionary risk management tale.

My boss baffles me

I hope someone in Brussels just cancelled the print job when they saw it going for that long. 2300 pages printers about 25/26 pages per minute.
He probably double dipped on roles that use the same clearance so when he took the 2nd job. I had 2 jobs overlapping and using the same clearance but it was only like 2 weeks so I dont know if maybe the first job had released it early or the 2nd hadnt claimed it yet but there was not an issue

Having 2 contractors cacs idk the edipi would be the same so you’d just have one, i have seen a guy work 2 ctr jobs at disa at the same time but he had permission and they were on adjacent contracts

To me if you are working remote and getting both jobs done, i dont see the issue. If you are on site and bringing job #2’s equipment to space and electricity job #1 pays for, I can see the issue there but still if you can pull it off, shiyett
How it should work is second job finds that you have a CAC already in the system. Tell your manager, the manager comes to you. Tell the manager you are a reserve and just add the new certificates on the CAC no harm no foul.
Anyone willing to do help desk as a second job is a psycho masochist.
Hello, my name is TitanG and I am a psycho-masochist. I work the overnight shift, so pretty quiet. I use the time to get my schoolwork done for my MBA. I get sleepy go to sleep, I will have a year with them in Feb, so going to swing tuition assistance from both spots. Both managers know about the other job, actually got positive emails sent up about my work ethic so neither has room to complain.

is there a way for a company to see what ISP you use? Any way to spoof it to seem like you’re using a certain ISP?

is there a way for a company to see what ISP you use? Any way to spoof it to seem like you’re using a certain ISP?

I'm a layman but I believe yes, generally speaking your public IP address or WAN will indicate which ISP has assigned it or at least someone who wants to know can easily find out.

Idk about spoofing for the appearance of a specific ISP, but you can obfuscate your public IP.

I run a personal VPN off a Raspberry Pi opposed to going through a commercial VPN provider because I don't want it to be obvious I'm using a VPN.

Others in here have actual professional networking knowledge though. Maybe they can clarify.

I watched all of professor messers comptia a+ videos. My question is should I move on to network + or try and get a+ certified 1st?

I watched all of professor messers comptia a+ videos. My question is should I move on to network + or try and get a+ certified 1st?
I’d just go ahead and knock out each cert then move on to the next. Plus sometimes they have overlap that might help.

With Sec + are you able to skip ‘help desk’ jobs?

It’s possible but wouldn’t say it happens on the regular. You could probably land a junior role but you would need at least some experience.

Currently a tier 2 service desk tech and trying to get out of service desk but don’t feel fully prepared for a sys admin position yet.

I think I may get a higher paying service desk lead position for a year, study/practice, cert up and apply then. Kind’ve burnt out with service desk but I just may have to put in one more year.

Back
Top Bottom