Information Technology (IT)

Anyone work for any of the Cloud Vendors or work in a role using Cloud Solutions?
I'm a devops engineer, Linux comfortabliity is huge & then learning the diff CI tools such as CHEF, Puppet or Ansible, source control (git/svn) & learning the testing tool (ones from the chefDK & also jenkins)

Man!!! how did i miss this post. Im currently a Desktop Support engineer trying to move towards Networking. ive seen alot of information in here that i already knew but found some more Gems.

Currently work IT support for the Department of Defense.

Security + is definitely a necessity.

I feel that once that cert is obtained, many many doors will open.

nice..you a fed or contractor?

I got too comfortable at let my Security+ expire :stoneface:

Last edited:
I'm a devops engineer, Linux comfortabliity is huge & then learning the diff CI tools such as CHEF, Puppet or Ansible, source control (git/svn) & learning the testing tool (ones from the chefDK & also jenkins)

Do you work with/ does your org utilize business analyst?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone of yall can give me some tips on entering the IT world.

Im currently working at desktop support at my university and since im graduating with a degree in history, i thought i'd get into the IT field.
I'm the highest position a student can be at my job (student lead) and im also apple certified (if that means anything lol :rolleyes )
Im a senior and i'll be graduating this coming December. I live in MD so I guess I have some options since DC is pretty close.
Can anyone recommend me some advice for a noob like me?

Here's my linked in if anyone wants to view it. It be great if someone get critique it as well

https://www.linkedin.com/in/joshua-park-7831a311a

When are you graduating? Have you hit your career services office?

Sent to a LI request

Last edited:
Currently work IT support for the Department of Defense.

Security + is definitely a necessity.

I feel that once that cert is obtained, many many doors will open.

nice..you a fed or contractor?

I got too comfortable at let my Security+ expire :stoneface:

How long has it been? I let mine expire too because I wasn't about to pay whatever dues and upload CE credits since I was a lifetime, thought it didn't matter and nobody would know. Soon as my joint expired my company was calling me asking me if I was certified or not, just called them and they unlocked my account for 2 weeks and let me upload all my credits and pay my dues. You can get 3 a yr for work experience, and then any meetings you went to, webinars you viewed, etc. hell you can make **** up and give yourself the required amount of points as long as you put the date as having been within your window before it expired

How long has it been? I let mine expire too because I wasn't about to pay whatever dues and upload CE credits since I was a lifetime, thought it didn't matter and nobody would know. Soon as my joint expired my company was calling me asking me if I was certified or not, just called them and they unlocked my account for 2 weeks and let me upload all my credits and pay my dues. You can get 3 a yr for work experience, and then any meetings you went to, webinars you viewed, etc. hell you can make **** up and give yourself the required amount of points as long as you put the date as having been within your window before it expired

Appreciate it man. I actually got the 14 day extension after it expired and realized everything I uploaded was not enough in terms of credits. Some of the stuff required was completely unnecessary in my opinion, and I demanded a refund of the fees I paid (which I luckily got back) :lol:

I wonder if I can get them to unlock the account and see if I can start uploading.

Last edited:
Nah not really, The position I just accepted the offer for is more of an R&D shop(105k)....previous devops position did though, it all coincides with the app development cycle

You guys used SCRUM/Agile? I ask because I`m trying to look up Cloud Related BA roles but they dont seem to exist or maybe they are using different names. Did you guys BA mainly focus on Requirements Gathering or also creating Solutions from a Functional Stand point?

You guys used SCRUM/Agile? I ask because I`m trying to look up Cloud Related BA roles but they dont seem to exist or maybe they are using different names. Did you guys BA mainly focus on Requirements Gathering or also creating Solutions from a Functional Stand point?

What exactly would make a could related be different than a regular BA? At work we are joining HPs private cloud but from a development standpoint I dont see much different as we are just connecting into their infrastructure. I could assume an AWS environment could differ as there are so many services you could use within their environment(same with azure)

agiles kinda dead, we used a CI/CD model for apps...I mean I wouldn't even be sure so call the guys BAs (im not really to privy on the business side) but our business guys were always in contact with our different clients discussing new features etc. they'd want to be added to the app or just functionality when it comes to delivery of whatever services they provided

What exactly would make a could related be different than a regular BA? At work we are joining HPs private cloud but from a development standpoint I dont see much different as we are just connecting into their infrastructure. I could assume an AWS environment could differ as there are so many services you could use within their environment(same with azure)

For most Infrastructure/Cloud related Orgs I dont see BA Roles listed typically DevOps/SysEngineer/SysAdmin/etc

agiles kinda dead, we used a CI/CD model for apps...I mean I wouldn't even be sure so call the guys BAs (im not really to privy on the business side) but our business guys were always in contact with our different clients discussing new features etc. they'd want to be added to the app or just functionality when it comes to delivery of whatever services they provided

lol if anything AGILE is the hottest thing out. AGILE and "DevOPS" is all I see nowadays even though most shops that claim to be Agile arent and tend to use some Agile/Waterfall hybrid.

Good thread I'm currently going back to school (BSIT) I have Sec+, A+ certs with a TS/SCI clearance. I have around 6 yrs experience working help desk / desktop support / exchange adminstration and looking for a career change more of a system administration role, what is the next cert that I should obtain ?

Depends on what system your trying to get into.

LINUX = REDHAT
MICROSOFT = MCSE
APPLE = ACSA

AWS if your doing Amazon

Agile is dead lol! quasi-Agile is dead, maybe. Keep in mind there are multiple variations of Agile. I'm amazed that at the pace of releases within a typical group of DevOps, you aren't utilizing SCRUM in full. Well SCRUM or XP.

Back
Top Bottom