Information Technology (IT)

Good to see my fellow IT brehs flourishing in the field. :pimp:

I've been working in the field for about close to 5 years and I love it. One perk about being in the field is that you never stop learning. Anyone on here will tell you that. Right now, I'm a lead tech for two schools. This is my highest position so far from coming up as a desktop support guy. With that much time on my belt I should have been in a better position in my career but I'm not gonna ***** about it, it is what it is. I'm have a good understanding on AD but want to learn more GPOs. I'd like to make my own GPOs for my own schools and get recognized for it. For the more seasoned vets on here, any books/websites/anything how to make GPOs on AD with out ******* **** up?? :lol:

After i graduate, id really prefer to further my education in the IT field instead of getting a masters... or i can do both. I'm already setup to graduate with my bachelors degree next spring in business management.

But my last official semester is this coming fall, if anyone has any information about schools in programs that gain IT certifications in a matter of 12 weeks/4 months or so i would GREATLY appreciated! been interested in this field for some time now and i want to get a start sometime next January.

Im in the North New Jersey area right across from NY,so schools in that area would be much appreciated. 

Yea man. These guys doing basic engineer work pulling 175k+ easy. Turning down 135-150k gigs and stuff :x

Those older people going back to school most of the time are almost forced to or they will be stuck. Want a manager position, senior level

I've been working in the field for about close to 5 years and I love it. One perk about being in the field is that you never stop learning. Anyone on here will tell you that. Right now, I'm a lead tech for two schools. This is my highest position so far from coming up as a desktop support guy. With that much time on my belt I should have been in a better position in my career but I'm not gonna ***** about it, it is what it is. I'm have a good understanding on AD but want to learn more GPOs. I'd like to make my own GPOs for my own schools and get recognized for it. For the more seasoned vets on here, any books/websites/anything how to make GPOs on AD with out ******* **** up?? :lol:

You could always make a small test OU within your AD environment and make a test account that you can log into. You can also have a test computer and/or server that you can throw in there as well if possible. At my job me and the systems guy under me are in the test OU as well as our secondary workstations. Before I make a GPO change to anyone else, I set it on our Test OU and systems first and see if we notice anything has changed that we didn't expect.

It saves so much time implementing GPOs then having to worry about making changes on individual systems. They have GPOs and ADM templates for many products out there.

After i graduate, id really prefer to further my education in the IT field instead of getting a masters... or i can do both. I'm already setup to graduate with my bachelors degree next spring in business management.
But my last official semester is this coming fall, if anyone has any information about schools in programs that gain IT certifications in a matter of 12 weeks/4 months or so i would GREATLY appreciated! been interested in this field for some time now and i want to get a start sometime next January.

Im in the North New Jersey area right across from NY,so schools in that area would be much appreciated. 

You could look into a minor in IT as well with the Business Management degree. My wife was debating picking it up with her degree (Business Management & 6 credits from her Accounting degree) since it was only like 3-4 extra classes at that time. She ultimately decided not to get it because even though I could help her with homework and projects, I couldn't take those tests for her and she wasn't getting the binary concepts and/or the intro programming classes that she needed for the minor, lol. I need to get her to go back for those last 2 classes for her Accounting degree though :lol:

Happy to see other NT'ers flourishing in the IT field. As for me, I've been working for the Dept of State doing IT work going on 6 years.

I can tell those looking to get their foot in the IT industry, don't stop the grind! I graduated from ECPI in 2004 and didnt get my first IT job until 2006. Layed off shortly after that, but I kept pursuing IT jobs, went to job fairs and made phone calls to connections I had made inquiring about leads. Finally landed my current job in early 2009, and the years of maintaining my certs and staying ahead of the curve payed off. Keep pushing, that door will open before you know it.

Yea man. These guys doing basic engineer work pulling 175k+ easy. Turning down 135-150k gigs and stuff :x

Those older people going back to school most of the time are almost forced to or they will be stuck. Want a manager position, senior level

You could always make a small test OU within your AD environment and make a test account that you can log into. You can also have a test computer and/or server that you can throw in there as well if possible. At my job me and the systems guy under me are in the test OU as well as our secondary workstations. Before I make a GPO change to anyone else, I set it on our Test OU and systems first and see if we notice anything has changed that we didn't expect.

It saves so much time implementing GPOs then having to worry about making changes on individual systems. They have GPOs and ADM templates for many products out there.

Repped and thank you :pimp:

Turned down an entry level 18 month contract help desk opportunity at Bank of America for a long shot chance of landing a role at Deloitte as a Business Technology Analyst. I have a a good connection who works there who has submitted my resume to recruiting and said will be in touch in the coming weeks/months. BUT, there is obviously no guarantee for anything.

Keep in mind I am a fresh graduate with no IT experience. Already starting to feel remorseful, tell me I didn't make the wrong decision NT fam :frown:

Turned down a great entry level position for another you don't have?

Well yes, but the help desk position was located a hour and 15 minutes away and only paid around ~14 dollars an hour to start. I don't think it would've been too economically feasible anyway and I'm pretty sure I can secure a similar position closer to where I live. At least I hope. Like I said it was a very tough decision.

Happy to see other NT'ers flourishing in the IT field. As for me, I've been working for the Dept of State doing IT work going on 6 years.

I can tell those looking to get their foot in the IT industry, don't stop the grind! I graduated from ECPI in 2004 and didnt get my first IT job until 2006. Layed off shortly after that, but I kept pursuing IT jobs, went to job fairs and made phone calls to connections I had made inquiring about leads. Finally landed my current job in early 2009, and the years of maintaining my certs and staying ahead of the curve payed off. Keep pushing, that door will open before you know it.
Congrats man ! How is it working for the State Dept?

At this point, if I just studied and got certs on my own, could I land a decent gig in IT?

I've got some computer work under my belt (my pop's co. So he could say I've worked for many years lol).

Really just enough to get my foot in the door. I intend to go back to school (ideally on some company's money)

It really just depends on who is hiring and how badly need help. Don't rely on your dad to give you a stellar recommendation, he's your dad, so they'll take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Truth be told, the biggest trouble you're going to run into is the application process. Most big companies use automated software to evaluate resumes, and if yours doesn't meet their criteria, you'll probably just get a rejection notice. If you dont have at least an associates with relevant certs, they aren't going to even look at you. If you're trying to shoot for a big company, do any applying in person.

Smaller businesses will be a lot more lenient; they just care that you can do the work. If all you have is certs, try going for small businesses first. You'll probably have more luck.

Whether or not you land a decent gig isn't a function of your certifications as much as it is who you know and what opportunities you come across.

Thinking about trying to pick up IT. Do those Groupons really help?

Just like anything else, they're hit or miss. Some are great programs that help with certification and job placement, others are just a rented classroom with a few books, and an instructor that doesn't want to be there. Before you choose to buy, do a few things:

- Find out who is offering the class. Is this a well-known organization that specializes in this stuff, or is this some small group meet-up deal that is relatively new? The quality of instruction can vary dramatically.

- Compare the "deal." How much are you paying for the Groupon, how does it compare to the well known methods in your area, and is it flexible? Its awesome if you can get a great deal, not so awesome if you have to use it in an unrealistic time frame or it doesn't work well with your current work/responsibility schedule.

- Try to determine your areas of interest as best you can before buying the Groupon deal. They may not offer classes that you're actually interested in.

PS don't waste your time with A+

Can anyone reccomend some info for an IT Tech trying to relocate to the Sherman Oaks area of Cali from Vegas?

Best decision I could have made for my family and I. Get to travel the world and experience things I would have never been able to otherwise.
Thats great man, I've been looking into working for them, but I havent seen any entry level or recent grad positions open up.

I have a work dilemma. We have a application (for our production) that creates a log and writes to the log every minute for the duration of the process. I want to turn this log which is in a CSV file into a graph from the log. I have a good understanding of database practices and designing a database but the conversion from csv to mysql lets say I am not sure how I will do. I need the graph to fetch every minute but I can do something like every 5 minutes. Any suggestions?

I have a work dilemma. We have a application (for our production) that creates a log and writes to the log every minute for the duration of the process. I want to turn this log which is in a CSV file into a graph from the log. I have a good understanding of database practices and designing a database but the conversion from csv to mysql lets say I am not sure how I will do. I need the graph to fetch every minute but I can do something like every 5 minutes. Any suggestions?
feed the log onto watchdog type program that will give you canned reports (usually 10 different kinds).  here at work we use splunk. you can use MS SCCM/SCOM if you have licenses for that.

I disagree. If you want an entry level IT gig (desktop support) or get your foot in the door, you will need your A+

Agreed, i always look for people with CompTIA certs. People think A+ cert is a waste of time as you may already have that knowledge but having something that says you completed it is much better than just trying to tell someone you know it.

Back
Top Bottom