Information Technology (IT)

I’m taking a CASP boot camp this week. Passed the original 001 exam but let it lapse versus the CE and $.

Also going to try to take the CRISC before the year is over. I have the book. I took the CISA and CISM. Didn’t study for those. But I don’t know if I should press my luck a third time.

Just checking in after my CASP boot camp. I went through a DMV training vendor. Class was five days. The instructor had a military SIGINT background. He knew his stuff from a pentest, vulnerability assessment and security consultant standpoint.

I wasn’t a fan of his teaching methodology. He didn’t use power points or any structure. He focused way too much on Linux (which didn’t really appear on the exam). There was never ever any reviews of the material we covered besides remembering Linux commands.

I had two vouchers, so I opted to take the exam today. Bad idea since I felt like I didn’t know anything the whole time lol. I used up all my exam time. I was scared to hit the submit button. Luckily I passed. I got 13 questions wrong probably (80 question exam test).

Going to read the CRISC review manual and take that exam in a few weeks. Trying to knock that and CHFI exam the next two months. And maybe PMP.

I want to start the MS IA at WGU. Trying to get paid in cybersecurity or network administration (though I can server).

Started as a Helpdesk Technician.
Went from that to Applications Team as Junior Analyst.
Then to OSFS team (Open Standards Fare System) - Debit/Credit Payment.
Then Senior/Lead Analyst of Application Team.
Promoted to Sr. Technical Engineer for Infrastructure Team.
Then SCRUM Master for Infrastructure/Network.
Now I’m the Network Infrastructure Supervisor.

In a course of 13 years. Keep grinding. Have to start somewhere.

I'm seriously thinking about enrolling in my local CC for a 2 year degree in networking. I have a bachelors in an unrelated degree and know nothing about IT. Looked around for how to get into the field most recommend cents especially with already having a degree. I just feel like I need the classroom structure, life is crazy right now and it's hard to self study with a kid & working full time.

If the community college has a security+ Course, Cisco Network or VMware Academy, GO!!

Otherwise you’ll have to self study. My original bachelors was in communication/journalism. I went back for an IT degree from WGU because they had the accelerated self study curriculum. But that is obviously not what you’re looking for. Just pursue a masters in IT. But the community colleges with those cert based courses are money. Gives you time and usually have supplemental exercises and labs.

I'm seriously thinking about enrolling in my local CC for a 2 year degree in networking. I have a bachelors in an unrelated degree and know nothing about IT. Looked around for how to get into the field most recommend cents especially with already having a degree. I just feel like I need the classroom structure, life is crazy right now and it's hard to self study with a kid & working full time.

Get a certification. If you have a degree, a certification will be great.

Nice bro. That's dope AF to see your progression from helpdesk to network infrastructure Supervisor :pimp:

Props.

Bout half way through your profession :lol: currently a infrastructure support analyst

my man congrats....any tips on getting certified on anything? currently my certs are ITIL and mostly the system i own and administer...i wanna move up to more engineering role even though my title is application engineer...

If you have a degree, some jobs will train you for an IT role but you have to be willing to travel and relocate for 6 months to a year.

my man congrats....any tips on getting certified on anything? currently my certs are ITIL and mostly the system i own and administer...i wanna move up to more engineering role even though my title is application engineer...

Depending on what career path you want to take in technology.

These are the IN DEMAND TECH JOBS...You will always have a job. And can bill at $150+ per hour

Security Certs: Start with Security +, CISSP, ITIL,
Project Management Certs: Start with PMP & PMI, PMI-ACP, CSPO (Certified SCRUM Product Owner), CSM (Certified Scrum Master) The SCRUM/Agile framework is a hot cert. Companies are now hiring for this field. Easy 100K field
Networking Certs: Network +, CCNP, CFOT (Fiber Optic), BCNE, NICET (CCTV)
Storage Certs: SNCP, SCSN, VCP (VMWare), NCDA (NetApps)
Virtual: MCITP, VCP, MCSE (Cloud Platform), CCA (Citrix)
Microsoft: MSQLDBA (Easy), SCCM, ADCS (Active Directory)
Telephony: ACIS, CCNP, CTP (VOIP)
Architect: DNA, CEA, CCNA, CCNP,

I don't have any certs, only a Computer Science degree.

However, I'm self taught and place myself in a position to have experience in almost everything. I've supported everything below. You have to take the initiative.

Security: PCI Compliance, ISO 17024, SANS: 20
Project Management: Conducts/Managed/Lead Enterprise Project ($150 Million Projects), SCRUM Master, ICE
Business Analyst: RFP, BRD,
Networking: Lead/SCRUM Master - Fiber, CCTV, F5, PA Firewall, ISE, Cisco, Palo Alto, Wireless, VSC, Radio Microwaves, CCTV, In-Motion Routers, Motorola
Application: Senior Lead, SaaS, XML, IVR, Citrix XenApp
Database: Oracle, SQL
Storage: FalconStore, NetApps, VMWare
Virtual: Citrix, VMWare
Microsoft: SCCM, Active Directory, Server
AFC/NFC - Analyst Support, SmartCard
Web & Application Development: C/C++, C#, Python, CSS, PHP, Integration Development
Telephone: IVR, VOIP
Framework: Agile, ITIL, COBIT
Hardware: Blade Server, Rack servers, APC, Racks & Chassis configuration,
Service Desk: Level 1 & 2 Support, Phone Support, Desktop Support

ETC...

Last edited:
Depending on what career path you want to take in technology.

These are the IN DEMAND TECH JOBS...You will always have a job. And can bill at $150+ per hour

Security Certs: Start with Security +, CISSP, ITIL,
Project Management Certs: Start with PMP & PMI, PMI-ACP, CSPO (Certified SCRUM Product Owner), CSM (Certified Scrum Master) The SCRUM/Agile framework is a hot cert. Companies are now hiring for this field. Easy 100K field
Networking Certs: Network +, CCNP, CFOT (Fiber Optic), BCNE, NICET (CCTV)
Storage Certs: SNCP, SCSN, VCP (VMWare), NCDA (NetApps)
Virtual: MCITP, VCP, MCSE (Cloud Platform), CCA (Citrix)
Microsoft: MSQLDBA (Easy), SCCM, ADCS (Active Directory)
Telephony: ACIS, CCNP, CTP (VOIP)
Architect: DNA, CEA, CCNA, CCNP,

I don't have any certs, only a Computer Science degree.

However, I'm self taught and place myself in a position to have experience in almost everything. I've supported everything below. You have to take the initiative.

Security: PCI Compliance, ISO 17024, SANS: 20
Project Management: Conducts/Managed/Lead Enterprise Project ($150 Million Projects), SCRUM Master, ICE
Business Analyst: RFP, BRD,
Networking: Lead/SCRUM Master - Fiber, CCTV, F5, PA Firewall, ISE, Cisco, Palo Alto, Wireless, VSC, Radio Microwaves, CCTV, In-Motion Routers, Motorola
Application: Senior Lead, SaaS, XML, IVR, Citrix XenApp
Database: Oracle, SQL
Storage: FalconStore, NetApps, VMWare
Virtual: Citrix, VMWare
Microsoft: SCCM, Active Directory
AFC/NFC - Analyst Support, SmartCard
Web & Application Development: C/C++, C#, Python, CSS, PHP, Integration Development
Telephone: IVR, VOIP
Framework: Agile, ITIL, COBIT
Service Desk: Level 1 & 2 Support, Phone Support, Desktop Support

ETC...
How long have you been in the field

I just got offered a 3 year Teir 1 Business Analyst position. They will train me for 4 months before sending me on a 6 month contract in another state. Do any NT bros have any experience with similar contracts?

How long have you been in the field

Graduated in 2003, did odd projects until I got hired full time in 2004 with a company (13 years). Overall 14 years.

I'm taking another job comes next year. Been offered a great opportunity and is very excited to move forward with a new platform and company.

Last edited:
So in terms of job security, should a person persue IT or coding?

I.T. is very broad. It depends on the area you're wanting to work in.

You may want to narrow it down...

I do believe that I.T. jobs are a "dime of a dozen." Meaning anybody can do it... It takes you to find out what your niche is within I.T. and be great at it.

Last edited:
I.T. is very broad. It depends on the area you're wanting to work in.

You may want to narrow it down...

I do believe that I.T. jobs are a "dime of a dozen." Meaning anybody can do it... It takes you to find out what your niche is within I.T. and be great it.

Finally put my resume on indeed, actually it's been out there I just made a new account with a more professional looking email address and I've been getting hit up like crazy. If anyone is especially willing to move and/or start off with short term contract work it should be easy to get in the door.

Of course, start with usajobs because imo being GS or other Government pay scales is better than being a contractor even if it might pay slightly less. But the big thing right now is Windows 10 migration. I got a few hits from companies migrating the local base, but there was also one that just travelled around to Marine Corps base doing migration, another was a similar travelling position for the clients of the parent company, one was somewhere in N.C.

Trying to hold off for a GS 13-2210, even a 12, or a contractor in the mid 70s with no travel though or this Diacap-rmf translation job that alluded me last time is back online up in the city. They'd have to be willing to train me though

If anyone is interested in Radford, VA there's a Sr Systems Job at IBM there she told me 47-55 an hr plus untaxable per diem. I googled it thinking VA cost of living and traffic is goign to be bananas, but it's actually the part of the state like closer to NC and Kentucky and not N.E at all, town has low cost of living and only 17k people. It was crazy because even after a few things she mentioned when she was like rate your proficiency on a scale of 1-10 and tell me how much you use each thing in everyday operations at your current role, Active Directory, SCCM, STIG, IAVAs, Group policy, Migration, etc. was all like yea 10 that's me every day but she mentioned Linux and I'm like nah, and Microsoft Project and I was 100 with her about it and she still wanted to have her boss call me back and then potentially refer me. I told her I felt like it was a bit over my head and maybe in a few months call me back. Bad move?

IDK, just assuming I was even open to that relocation, I didn't want to get somewhere and make myself look bad and I don't doubt I could quickly learn anything I don't know, but at the same time for that amount of money, maybe I shoud have done it and worse comes to worse, I get fired or quit after a few months of making basically 10k per and come back to where I am now

I just got offered a 3 year Teir 1 Business Analyst position. They will train me for 4 months before sending me on a 6 month contract in another state. Do any NT bros have any experience with similar contracts?
How did you get the Business Analyst position?

I'm looking to transition careers from a Marketing Analyst to a Business Analyst. I have no IT background.

Back
Top Bottom