Information Technology (IT)

Wowsers!!

Maybe that makes sense for my situation I had about 2 months ago. A recruiter hits me up about a position. They put me through about 3/4 Zoom calls with the company. Then I had to go in to the office and meet with about 4 more people plus talk to some of the people I had already talked to on the zoom call. Go through all of that and thought I did pretty well only to be told that they went in a different direction. Crazy *** industry!!
Damn!

I try to avoid recruiters, they just want to get as many candidates as possible.

I'm currently interviewing and awaiting to have my 3rd interview scheduled. That **** can be deflating. Such a waste a time when you do good in the interviews and still don't get the position.

Woooow, I guess i've been sheltered from those companies wanting exp, certs and clearances for 50-60k. Been in the industry about 11/12 years and at a minimum most companies were paying their junior security folks 80k. 75k at the lowest. But who ever said experience pays was 100000% right. yea certs are cool, but the experience is whats gonna bring the check.

hell a kid i was mentoring that just graduated with BS from an HBCU just got 100k out of a msft. Not sure how he pulled it off but he did.

Do you guys know any part time IT remote positions? I have a full time already but i wouldn't mind extra income after hours and/or the weekends (Top Secret clearance, CISSP, Cyber security background). Indeed and clearance jobs are a wasteland from what i've seen for these positions.

IDK what it is about IT that just makes going to college feel worthless. You could have a portfolio of programs in multiple languages and not even get an interview from a software company over someone from a boot camp.
GPA doesn’t matter.. degree doesn’t matter. It’s beyond absurd what HR is doing now

fac3 tak30v312 fac3 tak30v312 can you expand? How to do it without a degree? Bootcamp?
Think he’s just referring to how having a degree within IT can feel useless. For example, with me having a computer science degree, it took me a while to get an entry level help desk position . A lot of these positions ask for too much.

Last edited:
IDK what it is about IT that just makes going to college feel worthless. You could have a portfolio of programs in multiple languages and not even get an interview from a software company over someone from a boot camp.
GPA doesn’t matter.. degree doesn’t matter. It’s beyond absurd what HR is doing now
Agreed, this is dam near the only field where you can 100% self teach and be fine. I feel the only self taught folks in IT who can really do well are software developers or pen testers. I mean if you can write code you can write code. Hands down. Some of the best software devs I’ve worked with never went to school. But they’re REALLY good. Hell half of these blockchain devs don’t have formal training but they can code the **** out of some cryptocurrency lol

But do they get hired? I’m thinking of joining a bootcamp without a degree. I’m finishing up now but I’m at WGU which is self paced. Meaning I can take off for a few months and not take any classes while finishing up a bootcamp. Is that recommended?

Army Warrant Officer?

I only ask as a Marine CWO.

Studying. Either the Lammle or Cisco Press Books. Supplement with PacketTracer.

I’m a Network Engineer. Your schools are more legit than ours. Hopefully they’re teaching Software define, Ansible and python in your school.

At least where I work, college degree is a must. Even if it’s in an unrelated field, you don’t get an interview without one. It’s an old school way of thinking

At least where I work, college degree is a must. Even if it’s in an unrelated field, you don’t get an interview without one. It’s an old school way of thinking
I’m good on any place like that. I don’t have a degree but have definitely been able to move around and get what I need

Some places still practice the idea of bring all degree holders in only. Even if they don't have the relevant skills. But I feel like a lot of these companies are starting to wake up to fill these skills gaps and hard to fill positions. def with the hacker culture and cyber sec crimes growing fast.

But do they get hired? I’m thinking of joining a bootcamp without a degree. I’m finishing up now but I’m at WGU which is self paced. Meaning I can take off for a few months and not take any classes while finishing up a bootcamp. Is that recommended?
They get hired to do more freelance type work. But they get paid more than salary folks so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

So, what would you guys say are some good interview tips? Things you’ve seen over and over during your process search for an IT job?
star method never ever fails when its scenario based questions

something obvious but can easily slip some people’s minds: study up on the company youre interviewing for - if you can, a basic understanding of the the service they provide, infrastructure, applications, anything that says you know and your prepared.

and lastly, be yourself. yeah your skillsets get you in the door but your personality are what shines.

BOEING offered your boy 6 figures, had to turn that *** down though. I interviewed there before for a job that was half the salary and could tell I'd be miserable. Let them bring me in at 104k, sheyyid they'd probably try to never let me go home and have me all burnt out like my last job did. Never again.

Congrats bro. Happiness >>>

Have you thought about maybe working there for a few months to leverage that position to a dif company. I’m sure Boeing has clout

Let them bring me in at 104k, sheyyid they'd probably try to never let me go home and have me all burnt out like my last job did. Never again.

On the flipside, my friend‘s wife just left a big contractor after 2 years with very little to do. My friend said she would constantly ask for stuff to do and talked to told her boss several times during her tenure and was still left with more down time than up.

Those golden handcuffs that sometimes come with TS clearances.

Boreout and burnout both all too real in big govcons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boreout

Last edited:
BOEING offered your boy 6 figures, had to turn that *** down though. I interviewed there before for a job that was half the salary and could tell I'd be miserable. Let them bring me in at 104k, sheyyid they'd probably try to never let me go home and have me all burnt out like my last job did. Never again.

I applaud you for this. Not all salaries are good salaries. You can get paid an incredible salary and be super miserable. I've seen it before.

How are we all doing?

After a few changes, works been slow for me. Just biding my time until the next gig. Still studying and researching for when I start looking for a Jr sys admin role.

Back
Top Bottom