Information Technology (IT)

Any recs for a solid study guide for Security+?

Been an infrastructure PM for a while and I now need something a bit more heads down. Hoping for less governance and reporting up in my day-to-day. I'm looking into Network and possibly cloud down the line.

Jason Dion or Professor Messer.

I used Jason Dion lecture + his exams.

Barely passed though.

Sec+ is acronym galore.

bruh i cap and troll on there too, posted in a thread that i made 500k after 2 years of experience :lol:

lotta yt/azn folks who mad that tech companies are hiring colored people talkin bout the quality of employees is going down
Maaaaaan! “Finding quality candidates is a challenge” my a**

Jason Dion or Professor Messer.

I used Jason Dion lecture + his exams.

Barely passed though.

Sec+ is acronym galore.
Appreciate the info. I started with Professor Messer over the weekend, purchased the self paced program from Jason on Udemy this morning. Was expecting about 2 months worth of study, but I’ve been reading up and seeing the difficulty may push my timeline out.

Appreciate the info. I started with Professor Messer over the weekend, purchased the self paced program from Jason on Udemy this morning. Was expecting about 2 months worth of study, but I’ve been reading up and seeing the difficulty may push my timeline out.

I studied for 3 weeks. You can def pass in 2 months if you put in the time.

Sec+ is just a huge memorization test and a lot of acronyms to remeber. The actual exam is kinda hard but bc there's just so much **** to remember.

I hear the Sec+ 601 ain’t no joke. A few of my guys got the answers for all labs given to them by instructor and still failed :lol:

This CCNA course I’m taking ends this Thursday. I def gotta get ramp up the studying for the certification. ACL, NAT are so damn confusing to me. I’d feel more comfortable if the exam was hands on as opposed to a million questions with multiple answers and drop downs.

I hear the Sec+ 601 ain’t no joke. A few of my guys got the answers for all labs given to them by instructor and still failed :lol:

This CCNA course I’m taking ends this Thursday. I def gotta get ramp up the studying for the certification. ACL, NAT are so damn confusing to me. I’d feel more comfortable if the exam was hands on as opposed to a million questions with multiple answers and drop downs.

According to Reddit, there are labs now in the new CCNA.

Cisco has been introducing them back in since March

According to Reddit, there are labs now in the new CCNA.

Cisco has been introducing them back in since March
Hmm, that’s interesting. A friend of mine just tested about 2-3 weeks ago and there were no labs. Maybe it’s case by case basis.

Anyone in here that works in Data Sciences here can provide some insights on how they got their foot in the door for interviews? I've been applying to entry level data analyst positions and I can't seem to get anything more than a phone call.

I'm trying to transfer out of teaching and I know I have all the technical skills needed. I've taught AP computer Science, Microsoft Excel, and Python the past 4 years. The only things I don't feel 100% confident with right as of right now is SQL and Tableau but I've been learning and practicing with both the past 2-3 months.

My "biggest issue" is the lack of traditional business/workplace experience. What would be a better use of my time creating a portfolio with sample projects in it or knocking out some certifications?

I'm leaning portfolio.

Anyone in here that works in Data Sciences here can provide some insights on how they got their foot in the door for interviews? I've been applying to entry level data analyst positions and I can't seem to get anything more than a phone call.

I'm trying to transfer out of teaching and I know I have all the technical skills needed. I've taught AP computer Science, Microsoft Excel, and Python the past 4 years. The only things I don't feel 100% confident with right as of right now is SQL and Tableau but I've been learning and practicing with both the past 2-3 months.

My "biggest issue" is the lack of traditional business/workplace experience. What would be a better use of my time creating a portfolio with sample projects in it or knocking out some certifications?

I'm leaning portfolio.
Certifications are good and all but I think employers first and foremost look at experience actually applying relevant skills in practice.

Scheduled my CCNA exam in about 10 days.

Luckily my company paid for it but it's gonna be embarrassing if I dont pass and I gotta let them now lol

I'm leaning portfolio.
Has to be great value in teaching CS experience, means you understand the concepts. Have you applied anywhere?

Front door applications are a waste of time.

I have made most of my money as a career coach helping people get their foot in the door. This video is a few years old but it has the optimal solution to the problem you're describing.

Tl;Dr
Making interesting projects with indemand technologies and then reaching out to companies directly > front door applications

Basically what I was looking for.

Thank you

Scheduled my CCNA exam in about 10 days.

Luckily my company paid for it but it's gonna be embarrassing if I dont pass and I gotta let them now lol
We just finished the modules for CCNA and I passed all three blocks. That was on the Army side, now I have to wait for the vouchers to come through so I can take the exam. I’m dedicating a few hours per day to studying until I can the voucher and go test.

Good luck!!

We just finished the modules for CCNA and I passed all three blocks. That was on the Army side, now I have to wait for the vouchers to come through so I can take the exam. I’m dedicating a few hours per day to studying until I can the voucher and go test.

Good luck!!

Appreciate it. I been using the iOS CCNA app you told me about. After that I'll use the Boson practice exams.

Been on the job search since I began military terminal leave…

It’s definitely been a learning experience.

I had an opportunity to get my foot in the door with Microsoft in a technical manager position. But I declined when they asked me to relocate. In hindsight, probably should have and then tried the oki doke to get to where I wanted afterwards.

Been applying for networking jobs primarily in Tampa. So far, I have an offer from one firm. It’s decent, working as a military contractor supporting a COCOM.

I had two interviews with WWT. But they are slow in the hiring process. So I’ll probably just take the job offer and then plot in secret on the next move.

Been on the job search since I began military terminal leave…

It’s definitely been a learning experience.

I had an opportunity to get my foot in the door with Microsoft in a technical manager position. But I declined when they asked me to relocate. In hindsight, probably should have and then tried the oki doke to get to where I wanted afterwards.

Been applying for networking jobs primarily in Tampa. So far, I have an offer from one firm. It’s decent, working as a military contractor supporting a COCOM.

I had two interviews with WWT. But they are slow in the hiring process. So I’ll probably just take the job offer and then plot in secret on the next move.
Tampa? You try to get on at SOCOM or SOCCENT?

The WWT position was with SOCOM.

I talked to another contractor who had a senior networking position but they were low balling. But I’d love to get back to SOCOM. I liked working there before.

Back
Top Bottom