Interesting Law School article in the NY Times...

Long read but very worth it for those considering law school...
http://www.nytimes.com/20...wanted=1&_r=1&hp

The most eye opening thing for me was the discussion about how the law schools are ranked based on info from the law schools themselves...even though its obviously in the schools' best interests to embellish the info that they're providing. Then you have the law schools that report graduates as employed even if the graduates did not respond to the law school's employment surveys. Some of the stuff they're allowed to get away with is actually pretty disgusting
30t6p3b.gif

Long read but very worth it for those considering law school...
http://www.nytimes.com/20...wanted=1&_r=1&hp

The most eye opening thing for me was the discussion about how the law schools are ranked based on info from the law schools themselves...even though its obviously in the schools' best interests to embellish the info that they're providing. Then you have the law schools that report graduates as employed even if the graduates did not respond to the law school's employment surveys. Some of the stuff they're allowed to get away with is actually pretty disgusting
30t6p3b.gif

I read this earlier. its pretty amazing. I was interested to find that there might be a way for the DOJ to investigate...

I read this earlier. its pretty amazing. I was interested to find that there might be a way for the DOJ to investigate...

There was another article a little while back which stated that there are 50% more Law school graduates than necessary. 

Something like 45k graduates but only 30k employment opps for lawyers per year. 

There was another article a little while back which stated that there are 50% more Law school graduates than necessary. 

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

There was another article a little while back which stated that there are 50% more Law school graduates then necessary. 

Law School is starting to look like business school. Top 30 or don't bother going.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

There was another article a little while back which stated that there are 50% more Law school graduates then necessary. 

Law School is starting to look like business school. Top 30 or don't bother going.

I just took the LSAT a couple weeks ago. The field of Law in general is in a downfield spiral. Most suddenly felt here in California, where just passing the bar is no longer enough to become a practicing attorney. The field is SO watered down that it is increasingly important to graduate from a top 50 law school. A law degree however, remains one of the most universal and versatile degrees one can attain. 
In short, why spend 200 grand on a post graduate degree, when there are lawyer making 40 grand a year? 

I just took the LSAT a couple weeks ago. The field of Law in general is in a downfield spiral. Most suddenly felt here in California, where just passing the bar is no longer enough to become a practicing attorney. The field is SO watered down that it is increasingly important to graduate from a top 50 law school. A law degree however, remains one of the most universal and versatile degrees one can attain. 
In short, why spend 200 grand on a post graduate degree, when there are lawyer making 40 grand a year? 

Between undergrad, masters degree, and law school...one of my roomates when I was living in NY ended up being close to 250k in debt. He finished, but law school REALLY put a hurting on him financially.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

its says i need to log in?
[h1]
[h1]Is Law School a Losing Game?[/h1][h6]By DAVID SEGAL[/h6]
IF there is ever a class in how to remain calm while trapped beneath $250,000 in loans, Michael Wallerstein ought to teach it.

Here he is, sitting one afternoon at a restaurant on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, a tall, sandy-haired, 27-year-old radiating a kind of surfer-dude serenity. His secret, if that’s the right word, is to pretty much ignore all the calls and letters that he receives every day from the dozen or so creditors now hounding him for cash.

“And I don’t open the e-mail alerts with my credit score,
[/h1]

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

its says i need to log in?
[h1]
[h1]Is Law School a Losing Game?[/h1][h6]By DAVID SEGAL[/h6]
IF there is ever a class in how to remain calm while trapped beneath $250,000 in loans, Michael Wallerstein ought to teach it.

Here he is, sitting one afternoon at a restaurant on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, a tall, sandy-haired, 27-year-old radiating a kind of surfer-dude serenity. His secret, if that’s the right word, is to pretty much ignore all the calls and letters that he receives every day from the dozen or so creditors now hounding him for cash.

“And I don’t open the e-mail alerts with my credit score,
[/h1]

Between undergrad, masters degree, and law school...one of my roomates when I was living in NY ended up being close to 250k in debt. He finished, but law school REALLY put a hurting on him financially.

I'm thinking that if I do apply to law school I'll just apply here in Canada. Tuition here is as low as $3500 a year for globally acclaimed schools (McGill) up to $23,000 a year (U. of Toronto). I'm not feeling too warm to $150+ k debt. Being that much in debt wouldnt be too bad if there were good jobs available to law grads but making $30/hr after graduating from Columbia is terrible
sick.gif

I'm thinking that if I do apply to law school I'll just apply here in Canada. Tuition here is as low as $3500 a year for globally acclaimed schools (McGill) up to $23,000 a year (U. of Toronto). I'm not feeling too warm to $150+ k debt. Being that much in debt wouldnt be too bad if there were good jobs available to law grads but making $30/hr after graduating from Columbia is terrible
sick.gif

Originally Posted by kix4kix

I would include a caveat that a JD from a top school  remains a versatile degree.  A law degree from Cooley or New England School of Law or any 2nd or 3rd Tier is literally a very expensive piece of paper. Of course there will be outliers from some of these schools that make it but most will work 40k jobs as you stated.
The worst part is, you can't default on this debt. Seems to me like this game was rigged back in 1998 when defaulting on student loans was legislated to be virtually impossible. 

Back
Top Bottom