Internet connection without a landline?

This question is for all of my nt'ers who live on their own and pay their own bills. For those of you who use cable for your means of internet access,what's your take on it. I am looking to get rid of my current carrier (dsl through phone company) so I can ditch the land line, which is a waste of moneyeach month. I have heard that Cable is better than DSL, but wanted to get some feedback from those who use it. Are there any other alternatives to using Cablefor internet access that allows you to ditch your phone line?

your cable provider probably has some sort of bundle deal for internet service & cable tv.
generally, that deal is less expensive than dsl.

ive never had dsl so i cant really compare the two.

good luck
smile.gif

you can go through your wireless company and get one of the cards for your laptop or whatever.

I remember i tried out verizon DSL but when i got the system i had to wait to a "service ready date" which was 3 weeks after i got the equipment.When the day came, it was mad slow. I said F it and went back to cable. Its more expensive but its faster and more reliable.

I personally like having a land line.

I don't like giving my cell phone out to every single utility(eg. verizon, PSEG) and vendor/contractor(eg. plummer) I need.

I have Cable for internet and TV, no landline. However, if I had a house and not an apt I'd probably have a land line.

The wife and I have Comcast Triple Play.

However the only person that calls our house phone is her mother.
smh.gif

My-T.

I've had both Adelphia/Comcast and Verizon DSL. Comcast is quicker but much less reliable than DSL. In the three years I've had DSL I've only hadproblems connecting three times. With Adelphia/Comcast is seemed every other month I was having a problem and then it would take them 5-10 business days justto come to my house for five minutes and tell me they would need to schedule another date. Some friends of mine have just switched over to Comcast and it tookthem more than TWO WEEKS to set-up their internet/cable.

Personally, when downloading I can see the difference but I don't download that much and two minutes compared to five minutes isn't that big of a dealto me.

I had Comcast/adelphia cable for a long time - loved it, there were several down periods that lasted a day or two that really pissed me off.. But when it wasup and running, there was nothing like it - especially for video gaming and downloading large *ahem* files.

Now that i've had DSL for about 6 months, it's pretty underwhelming.. download speeds are mediocre, even just browsing NT can feel like you'redragging #%% compared to being on a good connection.. And the worst is, there must be noise on the line somewhere because about 20 times per week (if not moresome weeks) the signal will drop for about a minute at a time.

Not the biggest thing in the world since it comes back on after about 90 seconds - but it's frustrating when you're trying to do something, or playinga video game and you get lagged out because of it.

Cable for me was a much better experience.. i'm really excited to get FIOS once it becomes available in this area though.. if you have it in yours, lookinto it.

do you people without landlines give your cellphones to the utlities?

I don't think I'd want all my info in their databases.

There has been a lot of good answers in here. I am just trying to avoid wasting money on bills. As of right now, a land line is costing me money and I neveruse it. I figure I will go through my cable company and get some sort of bundle, which will probably save money as well. Thanks for the feedback fellas!

theres different levels of both dsl and cable...i got the cheapest dsl... !%!@ reminds me of dialup sometimes...

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Yeah, my cell phone is my only phone. I give that number to everyone.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

me too.

I don't want to pay the extra 10-20 for a landline I won't ever use.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

2nd question.
how long have you had your cellphone number/or how often do you change it?
I've had my cell phone number for almost 10 yrs...I dunno...I justwouldn't want my number out there for any vendor to sell to marketing groups

yeap...10 yrs.

I use Sprint

lol...wow uve been wit them since they were high priced...
laugh.gif

10 years would = at least 5 contracts if uve resigned... whats ur plan lookin like overthere? 10 years u should have sero + more for around the same price...

Back
Top Bottom