Into the Wild APPRECIATION.

What can I say about this movie? It's simply a classic and a must see movie.
pimp.gif

bus.jpg

Chris McCandless, in front of the bus in which he died

Here's a little story how they found his body.

Death of an Innocent

More than four months passed before Gallien heard anything more of the hitchhiker. His real name turned out to be Christopher J.McCandless. He was the product of a happy family from an affluent suburb of Washington, D.C. And although he wasn't burdened with a surfeit of common senseand possessed a streak of stubborn idealism that did not readily mesh with the realities of modern life, he was no psychopath. McCandless was in fact an honorsgraduate of Emory University, an accomplished athlete, and a veteran of several solo excursions into wild, inhospitable terrain.

An extremely intense young man, McCandless had been captivated by the writing of Leo Tolstoy. He particularly admired the fact that the great novelist hadforsaken a life of wealth and privilege to wander among the destitute. For several years he had been emulating the count's asceticism and moral rigor to adegree that astonished and occasionally alarmed those who knew him well. When he took leave of James Gallien, McCandless entertained no illusions that he wastrekking into Club Med; peril, adversity, and Tolstoyan renunciation were what he was seeking. And that is precisely what he found on the Stampede Trail, inspades.

For most of 16 weeks McCandless more than held his own. Indeed, were it not for one or two innocent and seemingly insignificant blunders he would have walkedout of the Alaskan woods in July or August as anonymously as he walked into them in April. Instead, the name of Chris McCandless has become the stuff oftabloid headlines, and his bewildered family is left clutching the shards of a fierce and painful love.

On the northern margin of the Alaska Range, just before the hulking escarpments of Denali and its satellites surrender to the low Kantishna plain, a series oflesser ridges known as the Outer Ranges sprawls across the flats like a rumpled blanket on an unmade bed. Between the flinty crests of the two outermost OuterRanges runs an east-west trough, maybe five miles across, carpeted in a boggy amalgam of muskeg, alder thickets, and scrawny spruce. Meandering through thistangled, rolling bottomland is the Stampede Trail, the route Chris McCandless followed into the wilderness.

Twenty or so miles due west of Healy, not far from the boundary of Denali National Park, a derelict bus-a blue and white, 1940s-vintage International from theFairbanks City Transit System-rusts incongruously in the fireweed beside the Stampede Trail. Many winters ago the bus was fitted with bedding and a crudebarrel stove, then skidded into the bush by enterprising hunters to serve as a backcountry shelter. These days it isn't unusual for nine or ten months topass without the bus seeing a human visitor, but on September 6, 1992, six people in three separate parties happened to visit it on the same afternoon,including Ken Thompson, Gordon Samel, and Ferdie Swanson, moose hunters who drove in on all-terrain vehicles.

When they arrived at the bus, says Thompson, they found "a guy and a girl from Anchorage standing 50 feet away, looking kinda spooked. A real bad smellwas coming from inside the bus, and there was this weird note tacked by the door." The note, written in neat block letters on a page torn from a novel byGogol, read: "S.O.S. I need your help. I am injured, near death, and too weak to hike out of here. I am all alone, this is no joke. In the name of God,please remain to save me. I am out collecting berries close by and shall return this evening. Thank you, Chris McCandless. August?"

The Anchorage couple had been too upset by the implications of the note to examine the bus's interior, so Thompson and Samel steeled themselves to take alook. A peek through a window revealed a .22-caliber rifle, a box of shells, some books and clothing, a backpack, and, on a makeshift bunk in the rear of thevehicle, a blue sleeping bag that appeared to have something or someone inside it.

"It was hard to be absolutely sure," says Samel. "I stood on a stump, reached through a back window, and gave the bag a shake. There wasdefinitely something in it, but whatever it was didn't weigh much. It wasn't until I walked around to the other side and saw a head sticking out that Iknew for certain what it was." Chris McCandless had been dead for some two and a half weeks.

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/1993/1993_into_the_wild_2.htmlto read some more.

very appreciated. watched this movie yesterday night and it was very deep movie.. but sad ending tho.

i really liked his quote in the end..

"happiness only real when shared"

I don't get all the hype for the movie. It was good, especially the end, but I dunno...it wasn't really special. It seems like the type of movie thatpeople enjoy because they feel intellectual by doing so.

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

I don't get all the hype for the movie. It was good, especially the end, but I dunno...it wasn't really special. It seems like the type of movie that people enjoy because they feel intellectual by doing so.

It seems like you miss out and didn't really look deeply enough where to you can give the movie or the story you own perspective, either positive ornegative.

Originally Posted by papageorgeo510

I don't get all the hype for the movie. It was good, especially the end, but I dunno...it wasn't really special. It seems like the type of movie that people enjoy because they feel intellectual by doing so.

It seems like you miss out and didn't really look deeply enough where to you can give the movie or the story you own perspective, either positive or negative.

or hes right, and you're trying too hard.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

Here's a video of people that visited the "Magic Bus" where he died in...I'm sorry for my ignorance of not knowing how to post video..
frown.gif

Originally Posted by vintagefits

Originally Posted by papageorgeo510

It seems like you miss out and didn't really look deeply enough where to you can give the movie or the story you own perspective, either positive or negative.

or hes right, and you're trying too hard.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
Well thats what I said, you have your own perspective about the movie. And aslo I'm not trying to prove anything.

I know someone who's from that area in Alaska, and he said how nearly everyone from that area thinks McCandless is an idiot (and should not be somecultural icon). I was kind of surprised. I found this on Wikipedia:

Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian wrote: "I am exposedcontinually to what I will call the 'McCandless Phenomenon.' People, nearly always young men, come to Alaska to challenge themselves against anunforgiving wilderness landscape where convenience of access and possibility of rescue are practically nonexistent […] When you consider McCandless from myperspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn't even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little timelearning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map ofthe area. If he [had] had a good map he could have walked out of hispredicament […] Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide."[sup][15][/sup]

Decent movie but overhyped...doesn't belong in IMDBs top 250. Here' my take on it--they tried to portray him like this saint but the whole time I wasthinking to myself what a selfish coward. Who hasn't had problems with family and society in general. It doesn't make me wanna live in the woods withhippies.

The only thing that touched me about the movie was the relationships he formed with the people along his journey especially the old guy and those 2 hippies.

I haven't seen the movie but I did just finish reading the book. It goes into detail regarding the different perspective's regarding his death whichhelps you better decide whether he was an idiot or a romantic who followed his heart. Overall though I didn't really like the book b/c it went off topictoo much by comparing him with so many people and going into there life stories.

Alright, hate to break it to you guys, but i thought this movie was bar none the worst movie i've ever seen in my life. I'm not trying to just come inhere and bash you guys, but I recently watched it with a couple of my friends and about an hour and 20 into the movie we had to shut it off. It wasn't evenlike one of us didn't l ike it, it was a unanimous decision to turn it off. Don't understand the hype around it at all. Decent cast, but awful awfulawful movie.

he was very selfish, but he thrived and was at his best when he was around other people....which was ironic, because he shunned his family and died alone.

I really enjoyed the movie...

I liked the movie too, guy was inspirational in his passion for life, albeit on his own terms.

Also appreciated is that chick in the movie he should have smashed
eek.gif
. She was slammin.

we actually discussed this in class
laugh.gif
. My professor recommend we should watch but I never got to.

Movie was good, liked it
I've recently been feeling a need to get out more and explore more of nature, which I did over spring break. It's hard cause I'm in the city, butthis movie just solidified it for me.
Hoping to finish the book soon.

Just watched it, I thought it was a great movie. I read the book, along with Into Thin Air, Krakauer's other great book in like 10th grade (6 years ago),so I knew what the story was, and the movie did a good job of the visuals behind it. I liked the Vince Vaughn character, and the old man.... gave it somepersonality, having him leave people he actually liked behind, not knowing what was ahead.

i read the book, how similar is it to the actual book? from what i read, chris was some spoiled kid imo

Haha, nice name OP. I vaguely remember that movie except for that ridiculous name the son had for himself after he became a high roller.

I liked the movie I thought it was inspirational in many ways. Whether you feel he was selfish or not I feel like the message he was trying to get across is agood one. The main message that stuck with me from the movie is when he said you're wrong if you believe that joy in life can only come from humanrelationships and that God has placed it all around us, in everything and all that we can experience. We've become so dependent on validation from othersit's made many of us very materialistic and it's an unhealthy way to be so I don't blame him for wanting to get away from that way of life.
After I watched the movie I looked up more info about his story and I was shocked when I read that his death could of been prevented and that there was ahand-operated tram that crossed the river that he thought he couldn't cross and if he had just had a map he would of known this and a few miles from hisbus there were also cabins with first aid kits.

Back
Top Bottom