iPad for college, any good? vol. pages, PowerPoint, documents

It just hits me, this would be a great gift for my girl, she's in college and is always fumbling with tons of papers....would this be a good alternative??...does anyone have any experience with integrating an iPad into the classroom?...thanks in advance bros.

She's gonna be fumbling with iPads then.
It's not as simple as it's made out to be

Ebooks are cheaper than textbooks. The difference more than pays for a tablet. If your going to do this, make sure you get her a keyboard and mouse to go with it.

Also, universities kill more trees by re-releasing "new editions", and leaving old editions useless. Support the new world.

Steezy show more respect to your mrs. Steezy n call her your wife not jus ur girl.... We all seen the pix it's okay to admit u shacked up now lol

As for the original question the iPad can definitely be transitioned into a on campus computer for most needs it will def work in the classroom. I personally prefer my MBP because it's much easier to accomplish things and although the iPad is cool its still limited at times... For school work n most sites like blackboard and other .edu sites she should be fine.

The keyboard is a good investment although I never bought one I wouldn't wanna have to lug it around. I know they make cases with them now but I have never been motivated to buy oneS.n. Im going to Nigeria for a month tomorrow n leaving my MBP behind so I will literally use y iPad for everything over there..... This will be one hell of a test for me.

Originally Posted by buggz05

Also, universities kill more trees by re-releasing "new editions", and leaving old editions useless. Support the new world.

New World Order steez
pimp.gif

^^^thank you guys!

Sneakerprince - honestly I said "girl" to avoid the usual NTers that will come out of left field with the "oh here goes this dude shoving his marriage down our throats" comments....trying to play by NT rules ad not make anyone "uncomfortable"

Appreciate the advice, she's doing Nursing and will be taking AP 2 next semester, I've seen some really cool Anatomy apps that she could have fun with and make her learning experience more interactive...done deal, iPad with keyboard and mouse, Freeruns and Jcrew iPad case
smokin.gif

Thanks bros

I mainly used my Transformer for school.
But like dude said it's hard finding some books in ebook form. Last semester only one of my classes had an ebook.

Would suggest the Acer Iconia Tab W500, but then again it may be too difficult for her to use 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

ask Henzo to borrow his...

Spoiler [+]
ngbbs48c7668c65c9b.gif

damn...
tired.gif

seems like a good idea tho. more convenient.
depends on her field of study. they may not be updating the old textbooks etc. into online books.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Most Textbooks are not in Ebook form. So it will not be too useful in that department.
Ebooks are too expensive.  It is cheaper to buy a physical copy and resell it.

I love that I can just throw my ipad in my backpack.  Does everything I need throughout the day.   I would pick up the bluetooth keyboard.

Just recently saw the new smaller macbook air and that is nice.  That seems to be a way better value.

Not to thread jack but what about an iPad for general work? I bought my girl a Macbook pro last year and she already has an iPhone. Ipad is pretty much worthless right?

^^^thats the reason I don't buy myself one, I have a MPB and my iPhone, my photography needs are met by these two, I wouldn't be able to
Justify and iPad purchase...

Hold on - doesn't the iPad have terrible support for Microsoft Office? As in, there's no real program for importing/editing/exporting Microsoft Office (ie. Word) related items, unless you pay for a $10 app which just provides very basic, lackluster stuff... I could be wrong, can anyone else chime in here? I would assume that would be a big drawback for someone looking to use an iPad for school use (again, I could be wrong)..

Originally Posted by nwt

Hold on - doesn't the iPad have terrible support for Microsoft Office? As in, there's no real program for importing/editing/exporting Microsoft Office (ie. Word) related items, unless you pay for a $10 app which just provides very basic, lackluster stuff... I could be wrong, can anyone else chime in here? I would assume that would be a big drawback for someone looking to use an iPad for school use (again, I could be wrong)..

Someone please elaborate on this, I don't mind the extra 10$ but I'd want for it to be compatible with PowerPoint presentations, exporting and importing word docs and such...

Let's be cereal bro.
Get her an iPad if youd like but it will never replace the efficiency of a laptop for her scholastic needs.

Back
Top Bottom