iPad for college, any good? vol. pages, PowerPoint, documents

i had an ipad to hold me over before school. I had an imac so i was good with the computer but got a MBP right before i left...the ipad collects dust and is a gigantic ipod used only to play music. it is completely useless at least for me in terms of school, everything is more difficult than on a regular labtop

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Would suggest the Acer Iconia Tab W500, but then again it may be too difficult for her to use 
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I always assume people are trolling when they say iPads are better than Android tablets because they're easier to use. How hard is it to use Android?

My gf and I, share an IPad2 32gb. I'm done with college, but I can't really see it being more useful than a laptop for college. The keyboard is tough to use for taking notes, so you'd have to add a bluetooth keyboard. Which is fine, but then you need a stand for the Ipad, there is no integration with MS Office at all, the apps are weak. My gf is a makeup artist and basically uses it, as a place to store her contracts with a photo of the client, so she can put a face to the name and as a calendar, otherwise, I'm just surfing the web on it, or playing games. As others have said, if you want it for school work, you'd be better served by other options out there. Also, you can't for example, pop a thumb stick in it, to share notes with somebody, or carry an extra battery for all day at school. Printing from it has to be to a bluetooth printer, IDK how many colleges have that available to students. Also, if her course load textbooks aren't in ebook form, it's just something else for her to schlep around. The pros for it, are good battery life, apple to apple syncing, the cloud and ease of use. But I really can't envision a school scenario where a laptop doesn't out pace it.

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Would suggest the Acer Iconia Tab W500, but then again it may be too difficult for her to use 
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I always assume people are trolling when they say iPads are better than Android tablets because they're easier to use. How hard is it to use Android?

Android tablets aren't alot harder to use than an iPad, but the W500 is a Windows 7 Tablet, which may be difficult to use with a touch screen since Windows 7 isn't really designed to be used with a touch screen and Acer didn't really put any touch friendly skins on the W500 like other manufacturers have with other more expensive tablet pcs. The fact that the W500 runs Windows 7 and comes with a keyboard for about the same price as an iPad is why I would recommend it since you can do actual document creation/editing, have full web access, etc.

I think it will be a great device for college.

She can download and scan her books into pdf format. Notate and bookmark. That alone saves her the hassle of having to lug around all those books. For note-taking, there are a few apps that record lectures. As for the keyboard, a bluetooth keyboard will fit in her tote, and if she gets proficient enough, she can just use the iPad's keyboard. Or you can get her a nice stylus. Depending on her program, there are some pretty in-depth and helpful apps that will supplement her coursework. She'll have the internet at her fingertips if she ever needs to look something up. She can skype a study buddy and go over notes all over Skype. She can listen to her music, social network, watch her favorite show, or just read. It's all there for her.

She doesn't have to lug around a netbook or laptop and worry about start-up times or battery and the dreaded overheating. I haven't heard of an iPad getting a virus yet either.

Typing a lot on the iPad is a pain in the *@%. I was at a conference a few months back and decided to take my iPad instead of my laptop. Note taking SUCKED. For me, it's a good gadget to mess around with...but not something I'd use to type documents or anything along those lines.

A solution to your typing issue is a portable keyboard. I work with numerous lawyers and even the older individuals use their iPads at meetings. There is a small white keyboard that sits in front of the screen and turns the iPad into a mini laptop. When I was looking into this functionality for my own purposes I decided to pass because the work I do is more spreadsheet intensive. Nevertheless, I may splurge for one in the future to make myself look more tech savvy.

Originally Posted by goDie

Let's be cereal bro.
Get her an iPad if youd like but it will never replace the efficiency of a laptop for her scholastic needs.
this

Got one for my girl, great to check email on, watch netflix, casual web browsing..
I sometimes use it to read ebooks/notes while I type them on my laptop

I got a galaxy tab 10.1 for school, it has a app I can use for Microsoft word and all that good stuff. It doesn't have a USB port but they have a keyboard case, if you get any kind of tablet I would def go with the Transformer Prime.

i have both.

ipad = fun, media, social, internet.

computer = work, school, productivity, homework, media, social, internet.

get a computer so you can actually do your work.

I just got an ipad 2 for school this past semester, it's alright, but as they said above, it just doesn't completely meet all my scholastic needs. I need microsoft word, powerpoint, ect, and all it really can do is bring up the document to view. You can't edit them at all. You'd be better of going with the MacBook Air.

On days where me and my boys went camping at the library, it was so convenient that one of them didn't have to lug around 80 lbs of textbooks,
or need to carry a laptop around campus all day for basic computer needs such as online quizzes and such.

If I had the money and wasn't so worried about rent and books, I would definitely pick one up for next term.

Back
Top Bottom