Is having no skippable tracks enough for an album to be classic? Vol. Lost Tapes

I never knew Lost Tapes was viewed as a classic until I started posting on NT a lot and saw people putting it right behind illmatic.

Now don't get me wrong I can't find 1 bad song on The Lost Tapes. It's Nas at his finest. But I never get an urge to bump it front to back. I neverreally feel cohesiveness of an album as I do other classic albums. And I don't see any albums being molded from it after it released. And these are whatmakes something classic to me.

Just wanted to see everyone's opinion on this. I know I am in the minority of this on NT.

no...there are plenty of CDs that i have that have no skippable tracks, but i dont consider them a 'Classic'... but they do happen to be some of mymore favorite CD's.

for instance, i loved Mobb Deep's Amerikaz Nightmare, no skippable tracks, but is it a classic? No

-J23C

Originally Posted by DetlefSchrempf11

niketalk
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It's a compilation album, of course its not going to be cohesive.

It's a great album, I'll be listening to it until the day I die, but I don't know if it's a classic.

I got dozens of hip hop albums that don't have skippable tracks(I'm thinking skippable as in filler or didn't have to be on the album).

Just cuz they aint skippable don't mean it's great or classic or that the entire album as one is classic status.

For instance, I can take songs from Nastadamus and I am and put together a great mix, don't mean it's classic.

LT just got a couple classic/great songs.

I think the Lost tapes would be closer to a "Masterpiece" than a "Classic" (even thought it might not be classified as that either)

A classic album has to appeal to the masses, or at least scratch mainstream

however, A masterpiece might be a flawless work from an artist, doesn't reach out to a lot of people, yet still great.

so I think the Lost tapes leans more towards a masterpiece than a classic.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by MetroKid26

I think the Lost tapes would be closer to a "Masterpiece" than a "Classic" (even thought it might not be classified as that either)

A classic album has to appeal to the masses, or at least scratch mainstream

however, A masterpiece might be a flawless work from an artist, doesn't reach out to a lot of people, yet still great.

so I think the Lost tapes leans more towards a masterpiece than a classic.
nerd.gif
This man speaks the truth

Lost Tapes is better than a lot rappers careers..It's not even a matter of opinion its just what its just a certified classic thats from first listen

to me...

A "Classic" is a time piece from now till then(Whenever)... that an album can be played because the lyrics/songs/or content is STANDOUT material thata person/people that listen to ANY genre of music can feel its importance to MUSIC in general... ( i believe classics can HAVE skippable tracks.)

Agreed. Classics can have skippable tracks.

And albums that you can play straight through w/o skipping a track is NOT necessarily a classic album.

There are definitely some albums that have the rare distinction of being considered a "classic" as well as not having tracks you'd want to skip.

The Infamous for instance is one of those albums.

Back
Top Bottom