Is hip hop seriously dead at this point? Serious discussion, no flame wars!

I understand exactly what he meant. But if we liked the music, what more is there to say than that?

When I listen to records from the 80's/90's, I rock out to them. It's not about "nostalgia". To me, "I Ain't No Joke" by Eric B and Rakim has a swagger about it that resonates ANY day, ANY year.

I don't always think about the time along with the music.

I can see it maybe with 80's pop records or some freestyle. But I'm also not pretending like all of those were AMAZING records.

I listen to records from the 60's and 70's, before I was even born, and love them. And I'll say the music was better then than it is today. With actual musicians jamming out in studios.

Where is the nostalgia in that?

You say music from the 90s is still here. That's because it's strong music. Not necessarily because we're "nostalgic" about it.

Some music is timeless.
No ones saying you like the nostalgia and not the music.

I'm just saying the idea of someone being more tied to the experience than individual bodies of music makes sense and I'm sure it's applicable to some people.  It's not one size fits all.  

Maybe it's not for you but I'm certain that for some people, nostalgia is a big part of the enjoyment derived from listening to past music.

And I didn't say 90's music was here because we're nostalgic about it. I said it's still here because it is, and not because it's strong music, there's **** music from the 90's that's still here too. 

Last edited:
I believe hip hop is dead commercially, the stuff you hear on the radio, tv and anything related, is all garbage.  But it's not even just hip hop, music in general is all about sex, money & cars. 

We need that balance but I honestly don't see any change soon, I feel our kids generation is suffering greatly and the future seems dim.

Rap now is trash..... I can barely stomach da last

Bit of 90's rappers out still doing it...

The problem with Hip-Hop is that audiences and consumers decide who had the next big shot. We as YouTube-ers decide who next up. No more talent seeking agencies do the ground work anymore.

There's great rapper popping up all the time, do you even look for something that suits you?

Of some of the newer, lesser known rappers I enjoy

Joey Badass & some of pro era
Action Bronson
Currensy
Smoke DZA
Krit
Ab-soul
Schoolboy Q
Domo Genesis of OF

and then there's Kendrick, J Cole, and Mac Miller who I've enjoyed since their mixtapes until present day

And then there's all the older rappers who can still make consistent albums

And this is off the top of my head...

Its out there

Joey Badass - 1999 and his album will drop soon

Ghostface Killah dropped 12 reasons to die just couple months ago

Big Krits mixtape dropped

K Dots album dropped last year

J cole/Ye album dropping next month

Nas dropped Life is good last year which was album of the year for me

Action Bronson's tapes

there are good music out there. whats on the radio =/= hip hop

There's great rapper popping up all the time, do you even look for something that suits you?

Of some of the newer, lesser known rappers I enjoy

Joey Badass & some of pro era
Action Bronson
Currensy
Smoke DZA
Krit
Ab-soul
Schoolboy Q
Domo Genesis of OF

and then there's Kendrick, J Cole, and Mac Miller who I've enjoyed since their mixtapes until present day

And then there's all the older rappers who can still make consistent albums

And this is off the top of my head...

Its out there
It's funny you said "lesser known" because outside of Smoke DZA, Bronson, and the Pro Era weed rollers, all of those dudes are pretty popular

Of course not. If you look in the right places its all still there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom