Is it unsanitary to drink from an old water bottle?

I mean, you opened it yesterday drank about half of it then two days later you go for more? I was thinking the bacteria in your saliva is just chilling therethe whole times and its probably not the best idea to drink from it..

If it was closed, and it wasn't exposed to a lot of heat or sunlight, go for it.

I always rinse my bottle with very hot water (and i mean very hot) before i reuse my bottle.

yeah I heard that you weren't supposed to reuse a (bottled) water bottle more than twice - but I've been using the same FIJI bottle since july.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by airkeung88

if it's your own saliva..I think it's ok to use it, but not more than 5 days.
word.

saliva rots, and breeds bacteria, which would be considered unsanitary to some.

i think the Nalgalene (sp?) bottles are a little more hygenic to reuse than the regular plastic bottles...

i believe they did a study on this that its unsanitary to used a same water bottle all the time...i think some of the bottle says you can't reuse it...justbuy those small bottle water from dollar store or something...

Originally Posted by Nktran001

I always rinse my bottle with very hot water (and i mean very hot) before i reuse my bottle.

Bad idea. Hot water breaks down the plastic in the bottles, releasing harmful chemicals.

Chemicals are carcinogens and also can give you diarrhea.

You're best bet is to just get a metal bottle and reuse that.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Originally Posted by Nktran001

Bad idea. Hot water breaks down the plastic in the bottles, releasing harmful chemicals.

Chemicals are carcinogens and also can give you diarrhea.

You're best bet is to just get a metal bottle and reuse that.
Lol, forgot to mention that i use a glass "Voss" water bottle.

I think I confused some of ya'll. I don't mean using the same water bottle over and over again. That's actually bad. There's different gradesof plastic and I believe the grade of water bottle plastic isn't meant to be reused. You also have to do a little research with waterbottles like Nalgene because some of them have lining considered to some not healthy as reportedly the chemicals in it seep into your beverage, but this is upfor debate. But nah, I'm just talking about opening a new bottle of water, drinking some of it and putting it in the say..fridge then going back for morethe next day.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I think I confused some of ya'll. I don't mean using the same water bottle over and over again. That's actually bad. There's different grades of plastic and I believe the grade of water bottle plastic isn't meant to be reused. You also have to do a little research with water bottles like Nalgene because some of them have lining considered to some not healthy as reportedly the chemicals in it seep into your beverage, but this is up for debate. But nah, I'm just talking about opening a new bottle of water, drinking some of it and putting it in the say..fridge then going back for more the next day.
Well in that case, i'm sure you'll be fine.

I do that all the time.

The main concern today about plastic bottles (the ones you buy bottled like Aquafina and Arrowhead) and bottles like Nalgene contain BPA - Bisphenol-A. Somestudies have shown that over time BPA leaks out of the plastics and into the liquid. This is especially active when the bottle is heated or has warm liquid.And this doesn't just apply to plastic bottles. If you heat plastic containers in the microwave or clean them in the dishwasher using hot water, that alsowill release BPA and other chemicals.

Last time I read, there's still a debate on how harmful BPA really is. As you can assume, there's the companies out there that produce this stuff andthat sell water saying it's totally safe. There's plenty of information out there, just do some research and you'll learn a little something. Bestbet is to play it safe. I buy a lot of bottled water and I usually don't let it sit around longer than a day and I definitely don't keep it in my car.

Its bad to reuse water bottles, even if you wash them its bad, If its unopened it should be fine, if its been open and been out for a few days i wouldn'ttouch it....I would suggest everyone buy one of these...
prod_detail_livpure.jpg

Its a water bottle that has a filter inside that filters the water on the way up it also is anti-microbial so prevents growth of like 99.9% of bacteria so itsreusable. Also great for enviroment...I guess you could have just read the picture, but I have one and love it

no not if you wash it after you use it. I've heard that it collects bacteria if you keep reusing without washing it.

Back
Top Bottom