Is It Wrong For Me To Get Offended When Asked If I Habla Espanol?

I was at the gym yesterday and when the gym is packed there is a 30 minute limit for you to be on the treadmills.

I was on mines for an hour (didn't know about the time limit until yesterday).

So one of the workers see me taps me and asks me if I "Habla Espanol"
eyes.gif
. I told her"sorry I don't"
laugh.gif
. She didn't likemy response and we went back and forth for a while before I finally got off.

Maybe I was wrong but it did get under my skin when she asked me that. She could have just asked in English instead of assuming I speak no english.

Any other Latinos or speakers of a different language get annoyed by this?

Espanol i think is the #1 spoken language in the world. Do you look particularly espanolish if so they probably think you are lying when you say no. I get thatevery once in a while and i always say i wish and they give me a funny look then move on.

I don't really get offended by another's ignorance.

It just is what it is.

im indian...but people will ask me all the time if i speak spanish. luckily i took it in highschool and college, so i can usually help them out. doesn'toffend me.

the thing that i hate is when they ask me a question and i answer in ENGLISH but right after they ask if I speak english....$+$? I just answered in english

Ehhh, its kina w.e nows. But I do hate it when they ask you do you speak english? Or they try to talk to you in spanish! Its like b$#@h can't you seeI'm talkn english!

first off where are you located??? if you are in the middle of Nebraska then yes, but Cali or Florida....no way

and how can you get offended, with the amount of Spanish speaking people in this country.....I called a customer service number the other day and I had topress 2 for English....since when in America did English become number 2????

stop looking to much into it and keep it moving....

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I'd get more annoyed if they asked "do you speak English?"

Or...Do you speak Khmer?

Yes

Say something in Khmer.

indifferent.gif

I am not here for your amusement.

i don't necessarily get offended, but they look at my with the
smh.gif
when i say i don't.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i'm cambodian, but i get mistaken for chinese, filipino, dominican or puerto rican mixed with whatever all the time. sometimes guysat the bodega will be on some "mirapapiquetiene" and i tell them i don't speak spanish and they give me the
smh.gif
. for this reason, i've beentaking spanish lessons once a week
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
figure it's helpful to know in my neighborhood.

Eh.. Don't be so sensitive.. People come up to me and speak in many random languages.. I've never been offended.. Just smile and say "No, I onlyspeak English" then move on with your day lol..

kicks67 wrote:
Espanol i think is the #1 spoken language in the world. Do you look particularly espanolish if so they probably think you are lying when you say no. I get that every once in a while and i always say i wish and they give me a funny look then move on.

That's Chinese.

And no I don't get offended.

"Speak English?" happened to me once. this past summer i was on the beach in Hawai'i and coming out of the ocean, and a middle aged women walksup to me and says "speak english?". i laughed and said yes. she apologized and asked me if i could go tell her 2 sons that they were too far out inthe water and wanted them to come closer to shore..i said ok lol. i don't know what language she thought i spoke...i just looked like a really really tanwhite kid with long hair

You shoulda been like "hell yeah I speak espanol" and then proceeded to take her home and guaranteed yourself gym discounts
wink.gif

Originally Posted by IHaveMyOwnOpinion

You shoulda been like "hell yeah I speak espanol" and then proceeded to take her home and guaranteed yourself gym discounts
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jeenewed

kicks67 wrote:
Espanol i think is the #1 spoken language in the world. Do you look particularly espanolish if so they probably think you are lying when you say no. I get that every once in a while and i always say i wish and they give me a funny look then move on.

That's Chinese.

And no I don't get offended.

I believe that you meant to write "Mandarin" chinese is not a language

Back
Top Bottom