IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

Yes, because that one quote represents the entirety of the basketball nation.

That quote means more than the dozens of other quotes that aren't pushing top 5 all time status. So for that one stupid quote, a 106 page thread must be created.

Like I said.  Anyone in this thread saying Kobe was overrated, ESPECIALLY during that threepeat or that T-Mac was as good as Kobe or that Lebron was better than Kobe in 04-05, wasn't watching basketball that decade.  They just heard other people talk about it.
na the t-mac debate was legit for a season or two

This thread still going? Duece, my dawg I don't kno u personally but I kno 3 things just off nt. U will go out your way to express your hate for rick ross, u hate kobe, n u will defend anything jay z

That quote means more than the dozens of other quotes that aren't pushing top 5 all time status. So for that one stupid quote, a 106 page thread must be created.
Either way it's an opinion buy me, you and others.  Depending on where you rank Kobe in the Top 15 list of all time, he can be seen as overrated by some and not overrated by others. 
This thread still going? Duece, my dawg I don't kno u personally but I kno 3 things just off nt. U will go out your way to express your hate for rick ross, u hate kobe
No hate involved at all champ.  Whether dudes want to admit it or not, during the 3 peat run he played the role of Robin.  Once again, he played it well but he was NOT the go to guy, not the leader of those teams, nor did he even put up the best numbers during that run.  The way I see it, Kobe fans like to ignore those facts and make it seem like he really was the main guy during that run which couldn't be further from the truth. 

laugh.gif
I've been tempted to make a "who's the more overrated Celtic: Rondo or KG" thread for the past two years.  Seeing as how Ska's letting this go I just might.

Either way it's an opinion buy me, you and others.  Depending on where you rank Kobe in the Top 15 list of all time, he can be seen as overrated by some and not overrated by others. 

PERFECT!!!!!

OK, so then Deuce, should we not be able to create a Lebron is overrated thread? Anywhere top 15, opinions vary, we may have some feel he is overrated.
And Larry Bird, anywhere top 15, opinions vary, would you be doing work in there?
Hakeem the Dream, anywhere top 15, opinions vary, would you be posting?
Shaq.....
Kareem.....

Oh, but we ONLY have a Kobe overrated thread eh?

Cool.

As in his 2nd year when he couldn't shoot?
He "couldn't shoot" yet he shot 47% from the field and 35% on threes, both higher than Kobe's percentages that year.
Or would disappear for stretches in important games because he would still get overwhelmed?
Which important games in '04-'05 are you referring to? I'm curious if you're thinking of specific games or just going on reputation. These were his numbers in the final 8 games of the season with the Cavs fighting for a playoff spot:

@ Philly - 37, 13, 7, 5

vs. Milwaukee - 40, 10, 10

@ Orlando - 33, 7, 6, 5

vs. NYK - 27, 18, 7

@ Washington - 38, 6, 6

@ Detroit - 37, 11, 6

vs. Boston - 32, 8, 6, 5

@ Toronto - 27, 14, 14
Was Bron even definitively better than Carmelo at that point?
Wow. Just wow.

By the way, I'm not saying Kobe is overrated. All I'm saying is '04-'05 was a down year by Kobe's standards and it's not far-fetched to say Bron had a better season than he did.
Like I said.  Anyone in this thread saying Kobe was overrated, ESPECIALLY during that threepeat or that T-Mac was as good as Kobe or that Lebron was better than Kobe in 04-05, wasn't watching basketball that decade.  They just heard other people talk about it.
At some point NT is gonna get a new go-to response other than "you didn't watch basketball" or "you've never played team sports."

laker fan , always will be.

but anyone who thinks he's better than bron is delusional.also when people say lebron can't shoot

i think they mean he has a spotty jumpshot , which is true.....but you cant name a more efficient 

scorer in our lifetime , nobody can or ever has been able to do what lebron does with a basketball

at that size and that speed and at the same time facilitate play defense and rebound. because try to get on him

because he couldnt close games but honestly if he did that woulda been borderline cyborg. the only reason kobe can close games is because he's in "score" mode the whole game , his entire game or 90% of it revolves around scoring......remember once kobe stopped being a pure scorer this season and started facilitating he missed a fastbreak layup in the 4th against the suns,because he was cold. its hard to be that hot in the 4th without taking shots the whole game.

name a player right now playing that can guard 5 positions , give u 28 points a game(low post,mid range and perimeter)  shooting over 50% , facilitate and give u 7 dimes....hit his freethrows and throw 7-8 rebounds to go along with it.....on lebron is doing that bruh

Last edited:
Since his 2nd year...?  As in his 2nd year when he couldn't shoot?  Or would disappear for stretches in important games because he would still get overwhelmed?  Was Bron even definitively better than Carmelo at that point?

You people need to stop.

27 7 and 7 on 47% from the field and 35% from deep but he couldn't "shoot?" A guy in his 2nd year in the L putting up that line, but "dissapeared for stretches"...what does that even mean? WAS HE EVEN BETTER THAN MELO AT THAT POINT? I swear man, you people need to stop.

Show me a season where Kobe has ever shot that well for the year. But Kobe can shoot though right? And I'm not saying Kobe can't shoot, but the biggest misnomer of Lebron's career is that he couldn't shoot early on.

As I said, he's better than Kobe has been the best in the L since his second year in the league.

and get off deuce 
laugh.gif

im a huge rick ross , kobe bean bryant and tom brady fan and think he brings the lulz , its just a message board.

if everyone here agreed with everyone it wouldnt be much of a message board....he aint breaking any rules

Last edited:
"Kobe did his thing, and did it quite well during the 3-peat, but at the end of the day he was Robin as Shaq was Batman. Kobe was the little brother and Shaq was the big brother. Shaq was Michael Jackson, and Kobe was Tito Jackson."

Naw. More like Batman and Superman.

As in his 2nd year when he couldn't shoot?
He "couldn't shoot" yet he shot 47% from the field and 35% on threes, both higher than Kobe's percentages that year.
LeBron had ZERO midrange game that season and clanked clutch free throws (he shot 75% on the year).  His FG% was high because Lebron being Lebron he was still finishing at the rim at will.

Kobe took about 80 more 3PA than Lebron that year and made more than 30 more.  He also took more free throws and made more.

I'll ask you this, objectively, in Lebron's 2nd season in the NBA, was he a better jump shooter than Kobe?  Go to the shot charts.
Or would disappear for stretches in important games because he would still get overwhelmed?
Which important games in '04-'05 are you referring to? I'm curious if you're thinking of specific games or just going on reputation. These were his numbers in the final 8 games of the season with the Cavs fighting for a playoff spot:

@ Philly - 37, 13, 7, 5

vs. Milwaukee - 40, 10, 10

@ Orlando - 33, 7, 6, 5

vs. NYK - 27, 18, 7

@ Washington - 38, 6, 6

@ Detroit - 37, 11, 6

vs. Boston - 32, 8, 6, 5

@ Toronto - 27, 14, 14
His first game in Madison Square Garden that season, also the first high profile game (high profile road game?) that year, he wasn't great. (He was also pretty bad against the Knicks his entire rookie year, but whatever.): 13, 9, 10

He got outplayed by QRich and Joe Johnson in his first trip down there that season but whatever, Phx was manhandling everyone that year: 15, 3, 6

He couldn't do anything against Detroit @ Detroit (his first trip there on the year) offensively in their second meeting: 11, 9, 7

They got ran off the court at home against a BAD Philly team late that year with the Cavs fighting for a playoff spot: 16, 8, 8

Didn't show up on the road against a soon to be dismantled Kings team: 18, 8, 6

Go and look at Lebron's +/- in those games.  Are they indicative of anything greater?  No.  But if any of you truly believed that, then this thread wouldn't exist.
Was Bron even definitively better than Carmelo at that point?
Wow. Just wow.
I mean, was he?  Since we're having this argument, before LeBron's playoff run against the Pistons, it could be argued that 'Melo was BETTER than him.

nba_g_melo01_576.jpg

Come at me, bro.

Last edited:
"I mean, was he? Since we're having this argument, before LeBron's playoff run against the Pistons, it could be argued that 'Melo was BETTER than him."

It could be argued? With who :lol: no he wasn't and that's pretty clear with most people.

LeBron vs. Melo was arguable in their rookie season. After that it was never even close.

Last edited:
What?  Melo got robbed for rookie of the year.

Melo had a more well rounded offensive game than Lebron those first few years.  Melo's stats were comparable as well.

Then in 06-07 (Lebron's break out season with the playoff run) Melo was second in scoring to Kobe and was demolishing everyone who tried to guard him.

It was debatable.  Go watch the tapes of PTI/Around the Horn and those ESPN shows, and read the articles.  It WAS being debated.

It was debatable. Go watch the tapes of PTI/Around the Horn and those ESPN shows, and read the articles. It WAS being debated.

*tires screech to a halt*

Uh oh bro........ duck homie.

:lol:

What?  Melo got robbed for rookie of the year.

Melo had a more well rounded offensive game than Lebron those first few years.  Melo's stats were comparable as well.

Then in 06-07 (Lebron's break out season with the playoff run) Melo was second in scoring to Kobe and was demolishing everyone who tried to guard him.

It was debatable.  Go watch the tapes of PTI/Around the Horn and those ESPN shows, and read the articles.  It WAS being debated.

Melo did get robbed his rookie year. After that though, it was plain as day.

04-05
Lebron 27 7 & 7 47% 35% from 3

Carmelo 20 5 & 2 on 43% and 26% from 3.

That's not debatable.

05-06

2005-06 DEN 80 36:47 9.5 19.7 48.1 0.5 1.9 24.3 7.2 8.9 80.8 1.5 3.4 4.9 2.7 2.7 1.1 0.5 2.9 26.5

2005-06 CLE 79 42:30 11.1 23.1 48.0 1.6 4.8 33.5 7.6 10.3 73.8 0.9 6.1 7.0 6.6 3.3 1.6 0.8 2.3 31.4

Again, that isn't debatable. Period point blank. I'm not even a stats guy but when they are this drastic as far as difference, they account for it. Lebron was far better than Melo and everybody else for that matter since his second season in the League.

Last edited:
You think I care about PTI/Around the Horn?
At one point in their careers, Melo had 6 game winners to Lebron's 1.

After Melo beat Bron in their first head to head on the Knicks and Heat Melo improved to 10-4 against Lebron James.

Shrug.  Hide your head in the sand all you want.  Google those numbers and see just how many people were discussing it. Yahoo, ESPN, blogs.  It was being debated.  On NT too.

19/19/9 in game 4 of the Finals
26/12/6 in game 5 of the Finals
31/8/6 in game 2

24/11 dimes to close out the Spurs
After giving them 45 and 10 boards to open the series

After closing out the Kings with 48 and 16
Or the 27/9/5 vs Sac

Opening the playoffs with a 28/6/7

Had the 25/10/10 in the regular season
Couple of 40's over a weekend
26/11/11 in a win.
Another couple of 40's 4 days apart in December
51/8/7 on the road.
38/10/6

These are just some of the highlights..........of ONE season Deuce.

You need more tho.

34/7/3/2/3 to open the playoffs in 02.
31/6/6 vs the Spurs
Then in the next game, he hit the game winner against the Spurs. He only went 28/7/3 in that one tho
31/11/5 in a must win game 6 vs Sac.
30/10/7 in a close out win game 7, on the road.

25/6/8 close out game in the Finals, 36 the game before......

Regular season?

Had 56 in 3 quarters of play
Followed that up with 29/8/7
24/13/7 early in the year.
23/11/15 vs old MJ
Followed by a 23/7/10

He had a bunch in 2000 too, but you can look those up yourself Champ.

But yeah......
He had the ref against the kings thats just me

Back
Top Bottom