Is Kobe Bryant Still the Best Shooting Guard in the NBA?

Fact is Wade is about to be a reason his team is going to two straight finals while Kobe is the part of the reason his team has had two straight second round exits which will only continue.

kobe-lose-ball.gif

Messed up fingers and now wrist really affect his ball handling. His hands are already small and now he can only palm the ball in his left hand.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Fact is Wade is about to be a reason his team is going to two straight finals while Kobe is the part of the reason his team has had two straight second round exits which will only continue.
really?? you must be joking.. without lbj, wade wouldnt be going nowhere.. also the fact that james commands a lot of attention to give wade easy one on one situations.. and if the laker big men would play with the same heart  and intensity that bryant did, they would not have a second round exit for the second straight year..

and the mid range game is a dangerous weapon.. its just that too many players dont have a mid range game for people to consider it an offensive weapon. so to put dunks and layups in front of the mid range jumper is stupid.. because if the lane is clogged and you have 2 7-footers in the paint, you think that you'll be able to get a lay up or a dunk?

But Kobe fans respons to 5 rings as the answer to everything, so I can't use the impending back-to-back finals as evidence...Oh.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Attacking the rim>>>Mid-range.
One gets you free-throws the other doesn't.  Who cares if Wade Free throw percentage hasn't been steller when Kobe can't really get to the rim anymore and even get fouled.  Aside from game three when the refs stepped in Kobe didn't get to the charity stripe very much.

Westbrook annihalted him when Kobe was forced to guard him.  Wade was dominant in last year's postseason and is finding his groove again now.  His recent two games I'd say were better than any game Kobe has had yet.

Kobe is a better rebounder than Wade right now?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't care what numbers say, Wade can go out and grab 10 boards right now way easier than Kobe can.

As other people have pointed out, Kobe is basically  6'6 Iverson at this point in his career, he's a volume scorer to the core and that's not really going to lead you anywhere when he can dominate opponents physically anymore.
So then Wade's 5 point game last week was........
laugh.gif

Wade "can" go out and get 10 rebounds, just like Kobe "can" go out and get 15 in a game 7 of the Finals. 
wink.gif
  But that's beside the point, Kobe doesn't need to grab as many with the 2 big guys, but he has proven, year after year, if he needs to go get rebounds, he can and will.  All this talk from Wade guys that he's a better rebounder are full of +%#!.  He doesn't get any more (or less) than Kobe.  It's a waste to even argue that point.  Debating like half a rebound or some +%#!.  That's why I brought it up, was discrediting everyone that said otherwise.  Would Wade get those 10 boards with Pau and Drew on his team?  Probably not. 

Max may be done, but I had a question for him, everyone slobbers all over the Dream's footwork, why is he discounting it now being brought up for Kobe? 
nerd.gif
  Nobody bats and eye when it's brought up for Hakeem, why take offense when it gets brought up for Kobe?  

Kobe has been a top 5-8 all time player for years.  YEARS.  Wade is gonna max out in the top 30-35 range.  And we already see signs of him breaking down even sooner than Kobe. 
nerd.gif

2 years from now, Wade may not have anything in the tank, Kobe will STILL be better than him, at 35.  But yeah, keep callin him Iverson. 
laugh.gif
Come on man, you mention his 15 rebound game? Why not mention in the same game he shot 25% in the biggest game of his career? Against the rival team, game 7, you're the guy, the hardest opponent you've had to face in a Game 7, and you go 6/24.
laugh.gif

JA, the point that was made was going out and getting 10 rebounds, like Wade was the only one that could do that.  So I pointed to Kobe being just as able to do it in a pinch.  Hence, game 7.  Where does that say anything about shooting?   If you want to focus on that, then should I mention game 5, IN BOSTON, when Kobe dropped like 21 consecutive points on the Celtics D, totaled 38 and left, oh yeah, WADE shaking his head in the stands?  Should I bring that up?  No, cuz that isn't the part of the topic, right? 
laugh.gif

It's cool, this been goin on for over a decade.  First it was AI is better, then it was Vince, then it was TMac, then Ray Allen, then Gil, then Pierce was better and now it's Wade.  People been tryin to dethrone Kobe since 2000.  And here he still is, ALL NBA first team guard.  Every year, year after year after year.  2 years from now, Wade will be finished, Kobe still ALL NBA, maybe he makes a late run like KG and Duncan are doing, we'll see. 

Kobe
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
05-06 LAL 80 80 41.0 0.450 0.347 0.850 0.9 4.4 5.3 4.5 1.8 0.4 3.13 2.91 35.4

Wade
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
08-09 MIA 79 79 38.6 0.491 0.317 0.765 1.1 3.9 5.0 7.5 2.2 1.3 3.44 2.25 30.2

That is not Kobe's best year.  2002-03 is. 

30 points a game, 6 assists, 7 rebounds, 45%, 38% from 3, 84% ft, 2 stls, 23 double doubles, 5 triple doubles

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

So then Wade's 5 point game last week was........
laugh.gif

Wade "can" go out and get 10 rebounds, just like Kobe "can" go out and get 15 in a game 7 of the Finals. 
wink.gif
  But that's beside the point, Kobe doesn't need to grab as many with the 2 big guys, but he has proven, year after year, if he needs to go get rebounds, he can and will.  All this talk from Wade guys that he's a better rebounder are full of +%#!.  He doesn't get any more (or less) than Kobe.  It's a waste to even argue that point.  Debating like half a rebound or some +%#!.  That's why I brought it up, was discrediting everyone that said otherwise.  Would Wade get those 10 boards with Pau and Drew on his team?  Probably not. 

Max may be done, but I had a question for him, everyone slobbers all over the Dream's footwork, why is he discounting it now being brought up for Kobe? 
nerd.gif
  Nobody bats and eye when it's brought up for Hakeem, why take offense when it gets brought up for Kobe?  

Kobe has been a top 5-8 all time player for years.  YEARS.  Wade is gonna max out in the top 30-35 range.  And we already see signs of him breaking down even sooner than Kobe. 
nerd.gif

2 years from now, Wade may not have anything in the tank, Kobe will STILL be better than him, at 35.  But yeah, keep callin him Iverson. 
laugh.gif
Come on man, you mention his 15 rebound game? Why not mention in the same game he shot 25% in the biggest game of his career? Against the rival team, game 7, you're the guy, the hardest opponent you've had to face in a Game 7, and you go 6/24.
laugh.gif
JA, the point that was made was going out and getting 10 rebounds, like Wade was the only one that could do that.  So I pointed to Kobe being just as able to do it in a pinch.  Hence, game 7.  Where does that say anything about shooting?   If you want to focus on that, then should I mention game 5, IN BOSTON, when Kobe dropped like 21 consecutive points on the Celtics D, totaled 38 and left, oh yeah, WADE shaking his head in the stands?  Should I bring that up?  No, cuz that isn't the part of the topic, right? 
laugh.gif

It's cool, this been goin on for over a decade.  First it was AI is better, then it was Vince, then it was TMac, then Ray Allen, then Gil, then Pierce was better and now it's Wade.  People been tryin to dethrone Kobe since 2000.  And here he still is, ALL NBA first team guard.  Every year, year after year after year.  2 years from now, Wade will be finished, Kobe still ALL NBA, maybe he makes a late run like KG and Duncan are doing, we'll see. 
You have no idea how bitter you sound man... lol

You know how big of a Kobe fan I am, but you're acting like Wade is some bum who is just a one-trick pony.

You're getting really nitpicky with what people bring up. Someone can mention Wade getting 10 rebounds, so you mention Kobe getting 10+ in a G7 of the Finals, and I can't mention him going 6/24 in that game like it's a null point? Okay...
laugh.gif

Bring up whatever you want, but that G7 was the last big game of Kobe's career thus far. Since then? The Lakers have been rather underwhelming.

We aren't talking whether Wade has had a better career than Kobe, that's not what this has ever been about, but when Kobe is 40 and Harden is tearing it up, you still going to sit here and say Kobe is better? 
laugh.gif

It's real close right now in my eyes. Wade might have the edge on Kobe. Kobe's FG% needs to come up next year if he's going to still be the best.

Lol at people saying Wade or another SG in the NBA today is better than Kobe.

He's been putting in work consistantly since 1999. Everybody else has come and gone but he's still doing it at a fairly high level. It's just a bunch of Kobe stans vs a bunch of Kobe haters at this point. Suprised mods haven't locked this up.

I'm not even a Kobe stan, quite honestly I became a fan because Shaq was my favorite player as an 11 year old and I just stayed with the Lakers every since. But Kobe is a beast you can't deny that even with his ill shot attempts and chucking moments. He's played through injuries when Wade has sat out for injuries I've played HS and AAU basketball with (water on knee, partially torn menicsus, etc.) you can't deny that. Let's not also forget that Kobe has been in the NBA since he was 18 playing virtually year around (all those deep playoff runs?) and he's 34 in August. Let's see how Wade will play being 14+ years in the L. I think Wade is a beast personally, but to compare what he is doing in the prime of his career vs a 34 year old Kobe is stupid IMO.

Kobe Bryant is the 3rd Best Shooting Guard of All time............after MJ and the Logo..............Pay Homage children, he wont be around forever, please stop with this Dwayne Wade Nonsense, Dwade has shown throughout his career, he needs a superior supporting cast to do anything worth a damn in the playoffs...............

This Kobe Bryant slurpage is ridiculous..
laugh.gif

Everyone is acknowledging he's the best SG since Jordan, but just because he's that dude, doesn't mean that he's immortal. Just because he was better than Wade for his career doesn't mean right at this second that Wade isn't close. It's laughable to think that he isn't.

Originally Posted by gambit215

Dwade has shown throughout his career, he needs a superior supporting cast to do anything worth a damn in the playoffs...............
As does Kobe. Zero second round appearances without an all star teammate.

In fact, the vast majority of superstars needed a great supporting cast to make a deep playoff run.

So I don't see your point at all.

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Kobe was a monster that '03 year.

"In 2003, Bryant scored 40 points or more in nine consecutive games, tying Jordan, who accomplished the same feat in the 1986–87 season."

one mvp tho .... and dat shooting percentage is ehh. always felt people overlook his misses and remember his makes. 

Originally Posted by tim teufel

one mvp tho .... and dat shooting percentage is ehh. always felt people overlook his misses and remember his makes. 

Just one for the whole career.  Kobe was never as dominant as his homers wanted you to believe. 

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by tim teufel

Just one for the whole career.  Kobe was never as dominant as his homers wanted you to believe. 
Yep...Nash was definitely more dominant than Kobe, Shaq, Wade, Hakeem, Barkley, Isaiha, McGrady, Dirk, Garnett, Rose, Kidd, Iverson, Dr. J, Oscar, Durant, Baylor, Mikan, West (Logo), Rick Barry, Dominique, Stockton, Havlicek, Ewing, Payton, Clyde, Gervin, Pippen, etc...
Ska, can we ban these trolls? Or at least put an asterisk next to their usernames.

I cringe at kids in 15 years saying, "Peyton only won 1 Superbowl"

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

I cringe at kids in 15 years saying, "Peyton only won 1 Superbowl"

Well, we all know Peyton is great in the regular season but his postseason record is probably something he wishes was better.  

Back
Top Bottom