Is Melo really a SUPERSTAR?

No, hell no.

He's a volume shooter, who's not efficient at all, and takes a lot of long 2's.

You can be a superstar and not be a good defender, but you getter be a super efficient scorer, or you better make all your teamates better, floor spacing, and passing. Carmelo does none of these things, and if the knicks give up Gallo or Feilds for Melo, the Knicks will be the same if not slightly worse.

No, hell no.

You can be a superstar and not be a good defender, but you getter be a super efficient scorer, or you better make all your teamates better, floor spacing, and passing. Carmelo does none of these things, and if the knicks give up Gallo or Feilds for Melo, the Knicks will be the same if not slightly worse.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

No, hell no.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

No, hell no.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

To me a superstar is broken down into a few parts.

1. Popularity. This is easily the most important part of the equation. Some would say production, but I beg to differ. Stardom is popularity. It isn't about how well you are in your field but how many casuals are willing to come see you when they have no emotions attached to the game. Being able to DRAW on the road is a big factor.

2. Production. People want to force themselves to believe a superstar MUST be able to do it on both ends of the court. LIke Larry Bird right? Like Steve Nash right? Like Barkley right? You don't have to do a thing on the defensive end to be considered a superstar. I hate when people bring that part of. Scoring is the most important aspect of the game. If you score so much that you aren't a liability on the other end of the court because you can SHOOT you team out of any situation, then you are fine. Forget defense.

3. Winning doesn't matter. Again, you don't have to win a damn thing to be considered a superstar. You can just look at most superstars in the history of the NBA. Most of them haven't won a damn thing, so does that disqualify them from superstar status? Of course not.

The superstars of TODAY
Kobe
LeBron
Wade
Dwight
Melo
Yao
Nash

I might be missing someone but those are the folks I am going with.

Now if we are asking about the best PLAYERS in the NBA< that is a different discussion. People confuse that and super stardom too often.
This.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

To me a superstar is broken down into a few parts.

1. Popularity. This is easily the most important part of the equation. Some would say production, but I beg to differ. Stardom is popularity. It isn't about how well you are in your field but how many casuals are willing to come see you when they have no emotions attached to the game. Being able to DRAW on the road is a big factor.

2. Production. People want to force themselves to believe a superstar MUST be able to do it on both ends of the court. LIke Larry Bird right? Like Steve Nash right? Like Barkley right? You don't have to do a thing on the defensive end to be considered a superstar. I hate when people bring that part of. Scoring is the most important aspect of the game. If you score so much that you aren't a liability on the other end of the court because you can SHOOT you team out of any situation, then you are fine. Forget defense.

3. Winning doesn't matter. Again, you don't have to win a damn thing to be considered a superstar. You can just look at most superstars in the history of the NBA. Most of them haven't won a damn thing, so does that disqualify them from superstar status? Of course not.

The superstars of TODAY
Kobe
LeBron
Wade
Dwight
Melo
Yao
Nash

I might be missing someone but those are the folks I am going with.

Now if we are asking about the best PLAYERS in the NBA< that is a different discussion. People confuse that and super stardom too often.
This.

he doesn't make the team better but the nuggets made the playoffs every year since drafting him. what's their record without melo this year? didn't they lose like 3 in a row when he missed games for the family death?

he doesn't make the team better but the nuggets made the playoffs every year since drafting him. what's their record without melo this year? didn't they lose like 3 in a row when he missed games for the family death?

Originally Posted by PoeticJays

It's funny because I think Rose has a good chance at jumping into that true 'superstar' status pretty soon. He's improved his jumpshot/3 pointer tremendously and has both qualities. Can score at will and makes his teammates better. Now if he could just get to the line, word to Hollinger
laugh.gif
His jumper has improved but tremendously is a bit much.

Originally Posted by PoeticJays

It's funny because I think Rose has a good chance at jumping into that true 'superstar' status pretty soon. He's improved his jumpshot/3 pointer tremendously and has both qualities. Can score at will and makes his teammates better. Now if he could just get to the line, word to Hollinger
laugh.gif
His jumper has improved but tremendously is a bit much.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Originally Posted by Kn0wledgeable

he doesn't make the team better but the nuggets made the playoffs every year since drafting him. 

What?
I think the confusion lies in the general idea that Melo doesn't make his teammates better (individually) but since he has been there his team has made the playoffs every year. So one could argue, if he didn't make the TEAM (collective unit) better, why are they making the playoffs.

But then you could say that since he has been there, they haven't become an Elite team. Somewhat of a stagnant franchise (production wise) since he has gotten there. Yes they made the WCF a few years back but they took a step back recently.

It all depends on how your morph the argument to fit your perspective.

Originally Posted by Kn0wledgeable

he doesn't make the team better but the nuggets made the playoffs every year since drafting him. 

What?
I think the confusion lies in the general idea that Melo doesn't make his teammates better (individually) but since he has been there his team has made the playoffs every year. So one could argue, if he didn't make the TEAM (collective unit) better, why are they making the playoffs.

But then you could say that since he has been there, they haven't become an Elite team. Somewhat of a stagnant franchise (production wise) since he has gotten there. Yes they made the WCF a few years back but they took a step back recently.

It all depends on how your morph the argument to fit your perspective.

Mechanics:
-09-10 -shot roughly 46 percent from the floor

-10-11 - Shooting 43 percent. (Not bad for not caring about your future with your present team.)

-The guy scores at will and is nearly averaging a double double as a SF. He hits about a 3 per game, shoots 82 percent from the line.

-He has the best footwork in the NBA.

-I can't remember the last SF I've watched that has averaged 9 rpg.

- At least a top 10 scorer in the league every year.

Everything else:
-Nuggets were a LOSING team before he was drafted, and they haven't had a losing season since that happened.

-They have made the playoffs every year in the WEST.

-Dude has been clutch for Denver. (For the most part)

- Young superstars can rarely win championships. The part about making teammates better often comes with age. That happens when a player puts the team above personal stats. (Took Kobe until he was about 29 years old to realize that.)

- Has similar success as Lebron in games won, and playoff visits. If Lebron is Elite, then Melo is too. (Lebron is definitely better, don't get me wrong.)

*This is all coming from a guy who used to HATE melo, until I realized all of these things.

Mechanics:
-09-10 -shot roughly 46 percent from the floor

-10-11 - Shooting 43 percent. (Not bad for not caring about your future with your present team.)

-The guy scores at will and is nearly averaging a double double as a SF. He hits about a 3 per game, shoots 82 percent from the line.

-He has the best footwork in the NBA.

-I can't remember the last SF I've watched that has averaged 9 rpg.

- At least a top 10 scorer in the league every year.

Everything else:
-Nuggets were a LOSING team before he was drafted, and they haven't had a losing season since that happened.

-They have made the playoffs every year in the WEST.

-Dude has been clutch for Denver. (For the most part)

- Young superstars can rarely win championships. The part about making teammates better often comes with age. That happens when a player puts the team above personal stats. (Took Kobe until he was about 29 years old to realize that.)

- Has similar success as Lebron in games won, and playoff visits. If Lebron is Elite, then Melo is too. (Lebron is definitely better, don't get me wrong.)

*This is all coming from a guy who used to HATE melo, until I realized all of these things.

but they took a step back recently.

Your head coach battling cancer and missing a boatload of games last year would do that

People don't look at reasons why, they just look at what happened. They have taken a step back for whatever reasons.

but they took a step back recently.

Your head coach battling cancer and missing a boatload of games last year would do that

People don't look at reasons why, they just look at what happened. They have taken a step back for whatever reasons.

Back
Top Bottom