Is NASCAR a sport? Why/Why not?

Hell NO, NASCAR isn't a sport.

30t6p3b.gif

Auto Racing is absolutely a sport. Go to a real go-kart track and try it for yourself. Im not talking about a joint at a putt-putt course, a real (usually indoor) kart track. Do it for 15 minutes and tell me they aren't athletes. The argument could be made that offensive linemen are not athletes. The argument could be made that David Ortiz is not an athlete.

I don't necessarily equate athleticism as equal to a sport though. Bowling is absolutely a sport, but a lot of times they certainly are not athletes. I agree with the poster who stated that judged events are not sports.

Yes. It's a sport of mental and physical attrition. Plus, crazy reflexes and tons of skill. And I give these drivers a little bit more credit just because they can easily die.

Also saying "Is NASCAR a sport?" is the wrong way to put it. You wouldn't say "Is MLB a sport?", you would say "Is baseball a sport?". Thus, the correct question is "Is Auto Racing a sport?"

You can make any type of competition into a "sport." Whether you consider them athletes or not....well, that's a different story.

I've never seen another sport get its legitimacy questioned so often though

Originally Posted by superbowlhomeboy217

If Nascar is a sport, so is playing Madden or Call of Duty. To be successful, you must have a knowledge of your machine, fast, reflexes, and the ability to make quick decisions.
This dude just tried to say Madden and CoD is a sport though
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by superbowlhomeboy217

If Nascar is a sport, so is playing Madden or Call of Duty. To be successful, you must have a knowledge of your machine, fast, reflexes, and the ability to make quick decisions.
This dude just tried to say Madden and CoD is a sport though
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
If theres ever been a moment for an LOL WUT? then this is it.

Running at 200 mph with 40 other cars on the same track in summer heat with fire ******ant suit and helmet/boots/gloves is the same as sitting in your bedroom at 1am with a bottle of Code Red and some cheesey poofs playing COD.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Man thats quote of the year worthy.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

I'm dead @!# serious.

I'm willing to bet you've never played baseball in your life let alone at high level.

I'm willing to bet you've never raced an automobile at 170+ miles an hour in your life, let alone at a high level.
So you've done neither, and proving you have no idea what you are talking and should have never posted in this thread.

Please go.

I'm willing to bet you've never played baseball in your life let alone at high level.

I'm willing to bet you've never raced an automobile at 170+ miles an hour in your life, let alone at a high level.
So you've done neither, and proving you have no idea what you are talking and should have never posted in this thread.

Please go.

I didn't know we had MLB players on NT. Which team do you play for?

Oh, right, you don't. Nor have you driven in Nascar.

Please go.

Originally Posted by do work son

well that settles that. you actually are stupid!

Explain to me how baseball is harder than Nascar, oh wise one.

A high level doesn't mean MLB, genius. That's the highest level. The more you post the more you make your self sound dumb.

You haven't played baseball at ANY level so don't compare the two. Now you're going to say I haven't raced in NASCAR, which is true, but I have played baseball and it's not easy and does take skill and effort. NASCAR probably does, too, I don't know, but for you to try to say they're easy when you haven't done either is dumb.

So yes, PLEASE GO.

Someone's getting upset. It's OK - I understand that your only rebuttal is "LOL U NEVA PLAY BASEBALL IN LIFE B4" but guess what? I have. Guess that ends that. Time to think up something else!

Anyways, I stand by what I said earlier - Nascar is just as difficult as baseball. Prove me wrong, or PLEASE GO.

So you've played baseball and still feel it's just as hard as driving a car in circles? You must have been the next thing coming, so what happened to your career?

Since you excelled so much in baseball there's no way I could convince you baseball is harder. The game came easy to you.

I'll go now, "Bambino".

I mean, I wasn't quite RaWeX05 level - you know, a household name - but I played some baseball.

Is that all Nascar is - driving a car in circles? Than I guess baseball is nothing more than adjusting yourself while standing around, sitting in a dugout, and hitting a ball with a stick?

Generalizations are neat.

people need to separate the word athlete and the word sport...you can have a sport that isn't played by a pure athlete. sport has more to do with recreation and competition, in anything. archery is a sport. shooting clay pigeons is a sport. neither of which require physically gifted athletes. skill, not athleticism, is more related to the word sport.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

people need to separate the word athlete and the word sport...you can have a sport that isn't played by a pure athlete. sport has more to do with recreation and competition, in anything. archery is a sport. shooting clay pigeons is a sport. neither of which require physically gifted athletes. skill, not athleticism, is more related to the word sport.
#+%@. Good point. You totally changed my view on the word.
pimp.gif

NASCAR drivers are indeed not athletes, but auto racing is a sport.

Back
Top Bottom