Is the word "Oriental" racist?

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

is there a non offensive better way to say "asian" eyes?

widescreen vision
16:9
use it on my brother from time to time...even though i have the same eyes
laugh.gif

You guys have to think of these words in terms of how and when they were used.

They stem from racists times in our history and this is why they are considered offensive and politically incorrect.

While you can argue all day about whether or not these words should be considered racist (especially when considering the other words we used to describe otherraces). But it does not mask the ignorance that these words derive from.

Oriental is a term used to describe a geographical area...it extends from Africa to the Middle East all the way to the eastern-most part of Asia. Personally, Idon't think the term is offensive AT all, although it does have historical connotations that suggests that it is MILDLY racist.

If you're offended by "oriental", you need to check yourself with reality because there are MUCH worse terms out there to hate with.

Dirtylicious wrote:

racist?...not necessarily...depends on the use.
although I'd liken it more to the word "Negro" than the Nword.

I'd say it's more similar to "Colored" than "Negro" - I don't think it's ever purposely meant to bederogatory, but it will quickly expose a person's archaic racial sensibilities. Anybody using "Oriental" today conjures thoughts of some cigarchomping, pith helmet-wearing colonist in jodhpurs and a safari jacket, lol.

Originally Posted by raburns04

Dirtylicious wrote:

racist?...not necessarily...depends on the use.
although I'd liken it more to the word "Negro" than the Nword.
I'd say it's more similar to "Colored" than "Negro" - I don't think it's ever purposely meant to be derogatory, but it will quickly expose a person's archaic racial sensibilities. Anybody using "Oriental" today conjures thoughts of some cigar chomping, pith helmet-wearing colonist in jodhpurs and a safari jacket, lol.

well said.

Its not even really supposed to describe far eastern Asians, if you asked someone in the 19th century who or what an "Oriental" was they'd saybascially an Arab.

yellow, oriental etc is a bit racist to me. If you cant just call me Asian and be koo about it then eff off. why bring in old terms liek that to describe aperson.
oriental is for THINGS like rugs and such. yellow? smh.

Black/White are accepted terms that are generally considered non-offensive.

..the real question is why would you WANT to use the word yellow, when there is a common and non-derogatory term of Asian that is already commonplace?

Lightskinned black folks have been called "yellow" and "red"/"redbone" for generations now by other blacks. I've never foundit offensive, being a lightskinned black person. So when I hear "yellow" that's what I think of. I don't see why anyone would need to call anAsian person yellow anyway. And I cringe when I hear an Indian, Filipino or Mexican call themselves "brown" people.

Majority of the people who use the word "oriental" incorrectly just have no clue what the word really means. They're saying what their parentsmost likely called Asian people (who may be racist themselves). People just need to educate themselves. What bothers me is people who continue to say it AFTERyou educate them on it. They don't usually mean harm by it but it shouldn't be that hard to remember.

what about the people that actually are yellow, cuz you know theres some homer simpson looking boys out there, no joke

I have a question myself regarding racial jokes/slurs

why is...

"It's hotter than Africa out here" a racial joke?

Back
Top Bottom