Is there a CURRENT rivalry in pro sports more heated than the Penguins/Flyers?

Barry Melrose on ESPN said that there isn't anything in N.American sports that quite compares because these two teams HATE each other.  In thinking about it, he just might be right. The NHL playoffs have been amazing so far, but this Pens/Flyers series has taken things to a different level. As a hockey fan, I love this. Back to the question at hand....is there anything that compares? We don't have to limit this to Hockey, Baseball, Football, or Basketball....how about in some other leagues around the world (soccer, etc.)?

Greg Wyshynski
†@wyshynski
By the way, there's no fighting in the playoffs and that's why the playoffs are great and it should be like the Olympics.

Gotta love the sarcasm...can't wait to see what Wilbonhas to say about this on PTI.
laugh.gif

Celtic vs Rangers (Scottish soccer)- likely to turn into a brawl at any moment
Barca vs Real Madrid (spanish soccer) - the worlds 2 best soccer players (Messi vs Ronaldo) not to mention the history. also gets heated quickly

Ravens vs Steelers (the NFL's best recent rivalry)- the defensive intensity is wildly entertaining

Dodgers vs Giants (baseball's best rivalry IMO)

Lakers vs Clippers and Heat vs Bulls/Celtics/Knicks have turned into relatively intense rivalries

But this is the first hockey series I have ever watched in my life. The intensity is incredible.

I was gonna say this in the Hockey thread when you said that but i was like nah
laugh.gif

but i think the 

North Dakota Sioux  vs Minnesota Golden Gophers (NCAA Hockey)

&

The Red Sox vs Yankees 

after the two games last year I really think the lions and bears will get very heated. f#$@ both teams tho

Hockey is the only sport you are allowed to fight in. 

If others allowed it, Red Sox-Yankees would clear benches every day. 

Few years ago wasn't it the Avs and Red Wings?  I know Colorado was one of them, but can't be sure if it was Detroit they fought every time. 

In the NBA somebody would punch KG every quarter. 
laugh.gif

Lots of NFL teams would be bad blood, NFC East teams, Steelers/Ravens, Raider fans vs anybody not in black,

america vs chivas

fas vs aguila

manchester united vs manchester city

manchester united vs liverpool

liverpool vs everton

inter milan vs ac milan

soccer rivalries make all these other sport rivalries look like a joke.

lakers vs clippers is starting to become intense.

this vid makes me wanna watch soccer lol

I literally only watch hockey during the playoffs and that game yesterday had me hyped, hockey is so brutal

the rivalries in the NBA and NFL will never get out of hand like that because of all the weak rules now. Plus you got way too many players who are politically correct and afraid to say they dislike each other

Basically. The rivalry becomes amplified when you know you can throw down with your rival.

Originally Posted by AG 47

Basically. The rivalry becomes amplified when you know you can throw down with your rival.

this.

also ravens VS steelers is
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Few years ago wasn't it the Avs and Red Wings?  I know Colorado was one of them, but can't be sure if it was Detroit they fought every time. 

Yup, back in the 90's.  Goalies even came to center ice and threw down.  In the playoffs too I think.  Heated games and big hits lead to that sometimes.  Been outta control this year and I love it
laugh.gif
.  It's a reason I pray for Rangers/Devils in the next round, same type of bad blood.  That whole division hates each other.  Baseball players are mostly pansies, you ever actually see them try and swing at each other?
laugh.gif

Oh and DJ's, ironic that you go to watch that clip and who do you see come flying off the bench to start fighting?  Shanny
laugh.gif

Top 10 soccer rivalries of all time
Corinthians vs Palmeiras

palmeiras-vs-corinthians-finalizado-1600x1200.jpg

Derby Paulista is a name that is known among the traditional São Paulo soccer clubs, Sport Club Corinthians Paulista and Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras. It is the rivalry between two football clubs still active in the oldest city of São Paulo. The Derby Paulista is among the 10 greatest classics of the world. Corinthians and Palmeiras have already decided state championships (Campeonato Paulista), regional (Torneio Rio-São Paulo), national (Campeonato Brasileiro) and wave to the end of continental competition (Libertadores Cup of America). No other classic has decided so many major championships.

A big rivalry in the Brazilian state of São Paulo, SE Palmeiras and Corinthians have always drawn a lot of attention when they face off against each other. There have been books written and movies shot about this rivalry, including a version of Romeo and Juliet where Palmeiras and Corinthians take the place of the Montagues and Capulets.

http://

Nacional vs Penarol

penarol_nacional_afp438.jpg

One of football’s classic derbies, since the late 19th century, the Uruguayan Clásico is the confrontation between the two greatest teams of Montevideo: Nacional and Peñarol. Both teams have played a big part in developing South American football, and are respected in the Americas and worldwide, despite their recent lack of international success. Together they make up 8 Copa Libertadores and 6 Intercontinental Cups.

The 0-0 draw of 14 April, 1990, was not for lacking a good fight, 22 red cards, 11 each side, (Nacional-9 field players and 2 bench players). The match ended at 85′ for the rule of less than 7 players. Then the 1-1 match of 26 November, 2000, ended in another confrontation with several boxing and karate kicks and chops, in which 9 players had to spend a month in jail, along with one of the coaches. Two editions of the match were played abroad, one in La Plata (Argentina) in 1960, the other in La Coruña (Spain) in 2005, due to the risk of local crowd interruption & brawling.

Fenerbahce vs Galatasaray

galatasaray-fenerbahce.jpg

Fenerbahçe SK versus Galatasaray SK is a Turkish football rivalry involving two of the most successful clubs in the Süper Lig. It is also a local derby, one of many involving Istanbul clubs. The rivalry is more than a century in existence, and has developed into an intense and often bitter one, traditionally attracting large attendances. Both clubs compete against each other for the title of the most successful football club in Turkey, as well as the greatest Turkish sports club overall. Their football departments have always been the most attractive among their fans, but the rivalry also extends into other team sports such as basketball, volleyball, athletics, rowing. Galatasaray SK is the more successful of the two, having won 68 official titles compared to Fenerbahçe SK’s 66 titles. Fenerbahe SK is the most successful in their head-to-head fixtures, while Galatasaray SK boasts of their achievement in winning the 2000 UEFA Cup Final and the 2000 UEFA Super Cup, being the only Turkish side to have won them so far.

Internazionale vs Milan

inter_milan.jpg

Derby della Madonnina, or the Milan Derby as it is sometimes known, is a football match between the Italian clubs Associazione Calcio Milan and Football Club Internazionale Milano. It is a hotly contested local derby and is one of the most followed derbies in the football world. Along with the Rome and Turin derbies, it is widely considered one of the major cross-town derbies in the Serie A, so much so that only selected referees may officiate whenever these teams meet. It is a biannual fixture in the Italian football league Serie A; however, the derby has also taken place in the Coppa Italia and the UEFA Champions League. It is the only derby in Europe played by two teams which have been champions of Europe and the world. It is called “Derby della Madonninaâ€

Pretty much what everyone else said:

- Ravens vs. Steelers

- Barbelona vs. Real Madrid

I always thought the USA vs. Mexico rivalry was pretty serious

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by CP1708

Yup, back in the 90's.  Goalies even came to center ice and threw down.  In the playoffs too I think.  Heated games and big hits lead to that sometimes.  Been outta control this year and I love it
laugh.gif
.  It's a reason I pray for Rangers/Devils in the next round, same type of bad blood.  That whole division hates each other.  Baseball players are mostly pansies, you ever actually see them try and swing at each other?
laugh.gif

Oh and DJ's, ironic that you go to watch that clip and who do you see come flying off the bench to start fighting?  Shanny
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I know, right!!

Funny thing about this series, is even if you take out the fighting there have been numerous cheap-shots, players feuding w. a variant hulk hogan, hair pulling, etc....

I seriously wonder if these teams will participate in the traditional handshake at the conclusion of the series.  For the sake of the sport, I hope not. 
laugh.gif
  Rivalries like this is what makes sports great. 

*Can anyone speak on USA/Mexico for soccer? 

I doubt it. Look at that Avs/Detroit series, those dudes couldn't stomach shaking each others hands after that. I feel like this series has been worse than that and not even mentioning if Philly stomps em out again tomorrow to complete a 4 game sweep. They'll probably brawl shaking hands
laugh.gif

I love it. I know there will be the dudes who come in here talking down on hockey because it allows fighting but who have never watched a minute of the sport but this hatred and intensity in the playoffs is one of thing that makes it great.

Props for? He's instigated a ton in this series and he's always running away from the fight. Just from yesterday's game he started bashing Giroux into the boards and then when they get into it he refuses to throw until the refs come in to break it up and after they fall down he starts pounding. Then him and Schenn start jabbing and when the ref moves away he again refuses to drop the gloves. Then he conveniently drags Hartnell towards his bench, grabs and holds him while Adams is laying into him. The kid is the WORST in these situations. He's been doing it his whole career
laugh.gif
I understand he's not a fighter but don't instigate and provoke like that.

Sid is like my size, I'd be running as well! (jokes jokes)

Seriously though, taking out soccer, Ravens v Steelers is the only one with this type of intensity. Generally Pitt wins a game with that series though. Sigh

The thing I love about all of this is that you have the face of the league (Crosby) flat out saying he hates everyone on the Flyers. None of this PC %+%!+$+$...dude just came out and said it
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom