Is there a way to recover files on a defective hard drive? (pics inside)

I have a 1 TB Western Digital Mybook Elite and yesterday after updating the firmware, I haven't been able to mount it onto my computer at all.
I researched and apparently a few people have had this issue happen when they go to update while using a mac. So basically my hard drive is bricked and
they will have to send me another one. Is there a way I can recover the files that are on the dead hard drive?

pics for your troubles

96-1247810569-20090716-kim-kardashian-malibu-bikini-photoshoot-005-header.jpg

pooltest20080717300x300.jpg

victorias_secret1.jpg

I have a 1 TB Western Digital Mybook Elite and yesterday after updating the firmware, I haven't been able to mount it onto my computer at all.
I researched and apparently a few people have had this issue happen when they go to update while using a mac. So basically my hard drive is bricked and
they will have to send me another one. Is there a way I can recover the files that are on the dead hard drive?

pics for your troubles

96-1247810569-20090716-kim-kardashian-malibu-bikini-photoshoot-005-header.jpg

pooltest20080717300x300.jpg

victorias_secret1.jpg

run a magnet over the platter, then run to your PC and flip the magnet and run that and over the new HD's platter.. should transfer the files.

no but seriously, ask WD to do it for you. it was their screw up, not yours.

run a magnet over the platter, then run to your PC and flip the magnet and run that and over the new HD's platter.. should transfer the files.

Originally Posted by offbad

your local mom&pop spots can do it, or slave it.

Slave it? What would say the difficulty level of doing that? (scale of 1-10)

you would think they would since they're pushing out a faulty update. They told me I have to get it done my self AND pay to ship my device to them
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by offbad

your local mom&pop spots can do it, or slave it.

Slave it? What would say the difficulty level of doing that? (scale of 1-10)

you would think they would since they're pushing out a faulty update. They told me I have to get it done my self AND pay to ship my device to them
indifferent.gif

There's a program called Spin Right http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm that should do it for you.  It's not cheap, but I have heard that it's one of the best programs on the market.  If your data is that important, it will be well worth it.  Otherwise, you might be able to find some place that will do it for less.

There's a program called Spin Right http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm that should do it for you.  It's not cheap, but I have heard that it's one of the best programs on the market.  If your data is that important, it will be well worth it.  Otherwise, you might be able to find some place that will do it for less.

see if you can get an enclosure kit. and slave it. its not hard at all. this will work as long as no sectors or whatever else is damaged.

see if you can get an enclosure kit. and slave it. its not hard at all. this will work as long as no sectors or whatever else is damaged.

Back
Top Bottom